Updating Columbus maps from SD card

I was updating the maps on my Columbus and I encountered problems due to my unit being old and the laser being too weak to copy the huge amount of files. I had partly expected this as it had failed a few times already so while it was trying to load, I was looking up whether there was anyway to use the SD slot.

Basically the unit just needs to be told to use a different source so I knew it had to be potentially possible and sure enough I found this with some searching

Essentially the guide states to prepare an 8gb SD card with two directories, WEST and WESTDVD, with the former being used to house a file downloaded as part of a zip from the link and the latter to house the entire contents of the map disk. It is also advised to put an mp3 file in the root so that the SD card can be tested as reading ok. The guide also needs a small firmware disk (I used a Verbatim DVD-R) to be created to support the process, which is also part of the downloaded zip. Thus you need a working DVD drive, which mine is, it just struggles with bigger files.

Once these are prepared which takes some time due to the size of the files (I copied the disk contents to the card via the C drive to avoid errors), the guide says to pop in the card, wait for it to be recognised and then to reset the Columbus with the three buttons. After waiting for a few seconds, pop in the disk and following some restarts etc, the disk should eject.

Anyway I had a go and everything went like the guide explained including a nervy long wait at the 31% as mentioned, but 30 minutes later out popped the disk with the success message on the screen. Hurrah I thought but I was then gutted to find that on removing the card and selecting Navigation, that it still asked for the disk.

I checked the guide again but I had got everything right so I was starting to regret a wasted Saturday afternoon when I remembered that the previous update had done a last validation stage on ejecting the disk before the source was updated from DVD to HDD in the setup screen. So I thought I would just see what happens when I put the disc in and sure enough, the disc started whirring and a few minutes later stopped. Then when I ejected it, it said validating and after it completed, I checked the source in the setup and it had updated to HDD, and now works happily without the disc!!! In fact if you read the whole thread above there is someone else who said this needed to be done too and I guess it might depend on the unit whether this last step is needed.

So it is possible and useful if like me you have a recent firmware but an old unit with a tired laser. You need a firmware that supports the 3 partitions and also supports an SD card bigger than 2GB (at least 8GB in this case), so 3810 or later I would say.

Finally please note that the sources of files in the first post in the link are up-to-date so that most of the errors mentioned in the thread seem to have been accounted for in the downloads.

Anyway hope this is of use to some of you.

Adam

• Like 3

Yes but marginally. The big gain for me was not relying on a dodgy laser on the cd drive which seemed to fail near enough every time.

Just to clarify John told me that the link was removed because the page also had a link to some counterfeit software.

Fair enough, but I don't think the bit I was referring to was the counterfeit element, being the software to trick the unit into using the SD card. Have PMed John to clarify that.

Thanks

Adam

John has kindly confirmed there was nothing wrong with the software I was referring to via the link. If anyone needs any further help please pm me.

Adam

I also used this method!

Mine's a fairly new unit but just didn't like the update disc I had.

Using this method worked a treat!

I also had to pop the disc back in at the end to get it to finish off and then it worked fine.

I even used the same SD card that has my music on. I temporarily moved all my music into a "music" folder on the SD then copied over the other bits I needed and it worked fine. Then deleted the maps files and moved the music back.

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

Trust me to balls something up

Disc for V11 wouldn't load, probably due to similar laser issue as adamal

Tried to follow the sd card instructions to the letter, inserted things in right order, came up a 'software update' screen, then hung on one of the SWL screens

Could only remove disc by doing soft reset, then system wouldn't start (Skoda logo and red lines top and bottom)

Now having to reload 4020a again :-(

It sticks for ages at 31% is there where is got stuck?

I thought mine wasn't going to work so went in side and left it a bit longer then when I went out again it had spat the disc out.

Phil

Brimma

You shouldn't need to reload 4020a again. It's only the map partition being affected. By retrying it should overwrite any partially copied files. Perhaps the supporting disc could do with a re-burn.

Adam

Be aware if you use this method then you wipe the language files from your unit and you will only have the language you're actually using available. Not a problem if you're happy with a single language, but if you're particularly picky about being able to use any or all languages, then you're gonna be disappointed.

I'm not sure this is an issue anymore - it was mentioned in the thread but as you read on there is indication that it has been dealt with in the latest files (which are overwritten in the first post).

But I will have to check mine now though...

Be aware if you use this method then you wipe the language files from your unit and you will only have the language you're actually using available. Not a problem if you're happy with a single language, but if you're particularly picky about being able to use any or all languages, then you're gonna be disappointed.

I usually like my navigation along the M6 in Lancs in Portuguese ;) ;)

• Like 1

I'm not sure this is an issue anymore - it was mentioned in the thread but as you read on there is indication that it has been dealt with in the latest files (which are overwritten in the first post).

But I will have to check mine now though...

There was a later "language fix" file which has been deleted from the hosting, so I've been unable to find it since. Anyway, as said, it's not really a problem for this country and unless you're going to sell the unit abroad then it's never going to be something to concern many people. I'm just wary of files and updates which drastically modify the unit. Although that forum is very informative there are some proper numbskulls who just seem to keep arriving and saying they've damaged their unit and it no longer works. Too many people just finding a firmware and throwing it at their sat nav.

Fair point. I will look at mine when I get back from hols but my understanding was the fix was built into a rehashed supporting firmware file replacing the original in post 1.

It would be nice if the edited first post now has the fixed copy files, and to be fair I hadn't noticed the recent edit. The faulty file was also deleted from the thread (presumably because someone thought it a good idea to pinch the whole thing from another forum and post it as his own work), then reposted later on.

• 2 weeks later...

Rustynuts you were quite correct sadly and am now tasting the humble pie as the other language files are missing for me and nor are they accessible from the disk (it asks for the nav disk when I try to change to English(male) but doesn't do anything with it in my case). I need to do a little research but I hope to copy them on somehow...

Phil/Martin: have you lost yours too pls?