Aircon - Condenser TPI/Recall

Hi guys, thought you might be interested to hear of my experience with my aircon condenser. I have an 2011 Octavia Elegance 1.8 TSI (petrol) registered 1st Sept 2011. Yesterday I took it for its first MOT and 3 yr service (done 18,000 miles) and to check aircon as it was only partialy working on drivers side only and only cool, not cold. Fearing the worst -  ie possible stone damage and a large bill, only to be told that there is a TPI/Recall for my car and it will be done under warranty, FOC. I was well pleased ! Going to have to wait a while for it to be done as Skoda UK out of stock at present !! Which says it all. Must be having to replace a great many. Not worried about waiting as summer's over and won't be needing the aircon. Reason for TPI was the condenser has a very small leak which is a fault. So perhaps this might apply to some of you guys as well. My garage is Robert Eardley at Crewe and I have always found them to be excellent so far. No other problems with car and passed MOT.    Just hope the chain tensioner keeps going,   but just in case have extended warranty for  2 more years.

You only use air/con in the summer?  It is also a safety aid as it is efficient at keeping windows clear of misting as the air-con also removes excess moisture from the air.

Thanks for info. on TPI.  I will bear that in mind if I have a problem with the climate control in my 2012 car.

Interesting as my vRS was registered 9th September 2011 - having the aircon serviced next week by my dealer as it is coming up 3 years old.

System seems to be working OK but as they will do a vac down leak test, if it is leaking hopefully they will find it.

What is a TPI recall? My March 2012 plate is at dealers today having new compressor.

Does this apply only to condensors where there are issues, or will they all be replaced?

Mine is getting to end of warranty (48k) so not keen on having any condensor issues just outside warranty

Thanks

TPI - Technical Product Information. Not a recall.

When a car is in with a dealer and they run the VIN number through the system to check for outstanding actions (like they should always do, but often don't), then any required work, such as this, is flagged.

Skoda won't contact owners, it will only be caught if you use Skoda franchised dealers and that dealer is following the correct processes in order to see the TPI.

Skoda will know which batch of condensers are affected and exactly which cars are fitted with the faulty parts. These VIN numbers are then logged in the system and as and when the affected cars show up at the dealers the work is actioned for free.

Edited by silver1011

Condensors failing prematurely is a common complaint on the MkII Octavia.

I know lots of members have had issues and had to pay for the repair themselves, even when the car is still in warranty (dealer claimed stone damage etc.).

I'm guessing Skoda won't be keen for those who have already had and paid for new condensors to check to see if their car would have been fixed for free under the TPI!?

Just spoke with local dealer and he informed me that a TPI is just a technical instruction for a repair, and not related to any recall.

I queried if my condensor were to fail outside of warranty and there was a TPI for the condensor, would i still have to pay and he said yes.  TPI would instruct them on how to repair any component ie what parts to use etc.

He said that every vehicle going through the workshop is checked for any recalls, updates etc

My car was registered in October 2011, the condenser was replaced last year as it was leaking, done under warranty as it was a manufacturing defect......several others members have reported this on the forum.

Regards all

Juan

Sent from my iPhone using my thumbs

On another note, my compressor was changed yesterday, but the system was not taking gas as there was a leak somewhere!

Why the dealer did not check before reassembling the car, makes me question their competence?

Surely they can refit the compressor and condenser and then gas?

Now the car needs to be re stripped, so they say, as it may be a seal?

Could also be the condenser?

Well, all I know is car was originally diagnosed with faulty compressor in June, finally booked yesterday, now have to wait until Tuesday for them to look at it and maybe get back on Weds!

In the meantime I have the joy of driving around in a Rapid!

• 2 weeks later...

My octavia vrs had its a/c condenser replaced free of charge this week for corrosion on the sites of the AC condenser skoda uk paid 100% I was very surprised and pleased I was expecting to pay some for it as my car is registered 1 September 2010 being a four year old car.

A special thank you to my Skoda dealer caffyns Ashford Kent for sorting it out and fitting it in less than three hours while my wife waited for it. 5fb7d8cc7d27ee9876041f6b287df605.jpg