Confusing Service Intervals.

Hi there,

I replaced my older Octavia I with a 2007 Octavia II 1.9TDI, with 22,000m on the clock in April this year.

It's been owned by an older chap who did hardly any miles a year, so he serviced it annually.

Anyway I bought it with 22,899 miles on the clock, with a fresh service just done.

It's now on 29,949 and it's asking for a service? After only 7,222 miles!

The boot sticker says QG1, and the bits of the history that are at a Skoda dealer say variable.

Any ideas why it's asking for a service now?

Thought variable was around 15,000m or so?

Fixed service interval is 15k km, which is 9400 miles ish.

All capable skodas come from the factory set to variable servicing, but it is very simple to change them to fixed.

Is it asking for a service now or has it started counting down from 1000 miles?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

To keep it on variable you need to use VAS or VCDS (or some other suitable tool), to change it fixed you just use the stalk in the instrument binnacle.

Of that it has gone straight to asking for a service, based on distance it should count down.

If there is someone near you with VCDS they could check exactly what the ECU thinks is going on.

You can set it to all kinds of odd regimes. My dad's old Audi ended up on 10k or 2 years when the Audi dealer tried to change it from variable to fixed.

To keep it on variable you need to use VAS or VCDS (or some other suitable tool), to change it fixed you just use the stalk in the instrument binnacle.

Of that it has gone straight to asking for a service, based on distance it should count down.

If there is someone near you with VCDS they could check exactly what the ECU thinks is going on.

You can set it to all kinds of odd regimes. My dad's old Audi ended up on 10k or 2 years when the Audi dealer tried to change it from variable to fixed.

Oh right, maybe that's the ticket then, get someone to check.

They did use 5W/30 on the last service which I think is used for fixed.

Oh right, maybe that's the ticket then, get someone to check.

They did use 5W/30 on the last service which I think is used for fixed.

The VAG spec is the important bit.  As a minimum 505.01 is needed for fixed and 507.00 for variable, but you can use 507.00 on fixed.

It could have been set to variable. Although 7,500 miles is very low his driving style could be to blame.

On variable the car monitors the number of cold starts, engine revs, journey duration, oil viscosity etc.

If the old boy was a little heavy on the accelerator and was only ever nipping to the shops and back then the car could be flagging for a service much earlier than normal.

The garage could also have used the wrong oil which could again prompt an early service.

The VAG spec is the important bit.  As a minimum 505.01 is needed for fixed and 507.00 for variable, but you can use 507.00 on fixed.

Oh I see, didn't say although might give them ring and check.

It could have been set to variable. Although 7,500 miles is very low his driving style could be to blame.

On variable the car monitors the number of cold starts, engine revs, journey duration, oil viscosity etc.

If the old boy was a little heavy on the accelerator and was only ever nipping to the shops and back then the car could be flagging for a service much earlier than normal.

The garage could also have used the wrong oil which could again prompt an early service.

Well I drive about 80 miles a day 2/3 motorway 1/3 country roads, and I'm no slouch.

I don't speed off at the lights but I cruise at a reasonable speed and tackle the country lanes at fair lick.

I do average 50mpg actual though so can't be too bad.

Hi JSme

Just a thought here - "Anyway I bought it with 22,899 miles on the clock, with a fresh service just done." Is it possible that when the service was done the computer record was not reset so it thinks it's coming up to a 30,000 mile service.

This happened to me when I bought my Octy in March 2010 - supplied with "fresh service" at 24289 mile. It was noted as being on "variable service" which should have given me about 18,000 mile (42289) but service warning came up just before 36,000 mile.

• Like 1

Why would you run variable services if you are doing so few miles? (talking about previous owner)

For the cost of a minor service I'd get it over & done with & get back to a known datum (including knowing you have the correct oil)

Hi JSme

Just a thought here - "Anyway I bought it with 22,899 miles on the clock, with a fresh service just done." Is it possible that when the service was done the computer record was not reset so it thinks it's coming up to a 30,000 mile service.

This happened to me when I bought my Octy in March 2010 - supplied with "fresh service" at 24289 mile. It was noted as being on "variable service" which should have given me about 18,000 mile (42289) but service warning came up just before 36,000 mile.

Ahh I see could well have no been reset, might call them and check.

Why would you run variable services if you are doing so few miles? (talking about previous owner)

For the cost of a minor service I'd get it over & done with & get back to a known datum (including knowing you have the correct oil)

I'm happy to do this, just not sure which servicing regime I'm on, want to make sure I use the right oil.

FWIW I am on Variable and cover 9K a year - it only just asked for a service the other week so I don't think my driving can be that hard on it. (2 years) I drive a short distance but I don't boot it all the way there and back.

Should probably think about going back to fixed servicing tbh.

Edited by g_tee

Ahh I see could well have no been reset, might call them and check.

I'm happy to do this, just not sure which servicing regime I'm on, want to make sure I use the right oil.

Just use 507.00.  It's not overly expensive these days