Thinking of Buying a vRS

Leon review here: 

http://www.evo.co.uk/carreviews/evocarreviews/253786/seat_leon_cupra_20_tsi_review.html

If it was my money I'd try to find a good Golf GTi , that's if I didn't need to lug furniture, bikes and wardrobes around (which is why the Octavia suits).

GTi's also have lovely blue LCD dashes and you can get option leather seats if you look hard enough. A Golf GTi   will be much more Clio-esque after all its the original hot hatch.

73K on a golf is nothing to worry about but you'd be better off looking at a car with 40K on the clock, it all depends on what price and also consider how much wear has been on the clutch and so forth.

Edited by Blanes

Absolutely a Mk6 GTI (and GTD in place of a vRS TDi) is I am sure the more focused drivers cars and less wieldy...mainly because its a little better set up and is on a shorter platform.

If you dont need the space its undoubtedly the better car to drive.

I've actually not had the pleasure of driving a Mk6 GTi but have driven a Mk5 and its still one of the best cars to drive overall Ive driven to date. My Mk6 GT TDi 140 although not as quick I still think drove a bit better than the vRS Blackline I had more recently.

Dont get me wrong the Octavia is a corker for the money but IMHO the Golf is probably the better car overall. Soon as I can move on my Mk3 TDi 150 Elegance it'll be for a Mk7 GTD for sure.

• Like 1

Id still go octy lol. Much more practical and bags cheaper, use some of the money saved to make it more chuckable.

I love the civics and used to have an fn2 spaceship jobbie, the flat floor and magic seats are inspired, they are a very well designed car but since getting rid of mine.....I just don't miss it. for me it didn't do things as well as my vrs.

I'd love to try a Leon cupra tho.....

Hi there thanks for all the replys really helpful.

Most of the golfs in my price range seem to have at least 65k on the clock some over 100k, I thought the mk6 GTI at available car was a reps car, just over 73k in 3 years is some going, would imagine a lot of that will me motorway miles and in theory should be well looked after, correct services, any recalls etc.

Will definitly check out the Cupra also sounds like it could be fun!

What ever you decide - let us know what you end up in.

It does depend on what you are looking for - it is never going to handle like a 182 nor a Golf GTi (but is close) - in my eyes the vRS is a good all round car - has a massive boot and with a few minor tweaks can be made to handle well.

I'd say the boot on the hatch would easily accommodate your needs beyond the one baby if you are planning for a future brother or sister  :rofl:

There will be no more kids after this, that is 1 thing i can say for sure! :)

Seeing as the new reg numbers come out in the next week or so I am going to wait till then and see if any good deals are about, I have read that some of the garages will be snowed under with trade-ins.

With all the kit you need to lug around with the little one the octy makes sense. It's more a drivers car than a family motor as far as the ride is concerned but will probably still be more comfy than the Clio. The petrol makes more sense too as you'll get a newer lower milage one compared to the diesel, though don't be too put off by the supposed dpf issues unless you're just doing a few urban miles a day. Make sure you get a decent test drive too and if you buy from a main dealer I think it will come with 12 month warrenty. I really like mine and it's a real mile muncher. You'll struggle to get the same sort of car for the money and servicing costs are reasonable too. Good luck.

Have a good look under the hood and check date stamps to ensure all parts are from original build and not from repair, slam panel, lights or anything that could be replaced in a front end smash!

So instead of starting a bew thread I thought I would add to this one.

I have seen 2 Octavia's for sale on AutoTrader, both at Skoda dealerships, one is Rainworth Skoda the other at a place called Bickerton, which I think is Sheffield way.

Does anyone know anything about these dealerships good or bad, I am thinking it might be better to buy 1 or any car for that matter from a main dealer than say a place like availible car...

The car at Rainworth is listed as:

>LINK<

CRUISE & CLIMATE CONTROL

Manufacturer Approved  £12,500

• 2010 (60 reg)
  • Hatchback
  • 31,859 miles
  • Manual
The car at Bickerton is listed as:>LINK<

2 YRS FREE SERVICING**  £12,000

Franchise

• 2012 (61 reg)
  • Hatchback
  • 49,143 miles
  • Manual
Probably going to go have a look at the 1 at Rainworth as its just down the road from me, but would prefer the 2012 model, but dont care for the colour!

any thoughts on the 2 cars, I am still tring to comvince my self that the timing chain failure problem is not as common as I imagine it to be and i should dtill go for one of these or the GTI!

I wouldn't let the timing chain issue put you off. It has affected a very small amount of vehicles. Probably best with the newer model as it is likely to have a later revision of the tensioner/chain. I would go on the condition of the cars. 2010 looks expensive? Mine is the same age but double the mileage and only getting offered just over 7k for it and it has a good spec! I only paid about 2 k more for mine when I bought it two and half years ago.

Edited by neil_f

The 2010 one is pricey and both cars are pretty much base spec by the look of it, the 2012 one has front/rear parking sensors though.

It's nice to buy from a main dealer for peace of mind with the warranty/assistance offered but you are paying for this in the price of the car. Personally I prefer to buy privately and speak to the owner, find out how the car has been looked after etc.

If it was me I'd be waiting for a higher specced privately owned and pampered car for less money.

The 2010 one is pricey and both cars are pretty much base spec by the look of it, the 2012 one has front/rear parking sensors though.

It's nice to buy from a main dealer for peace of mind with the warranty/assistance offered but you are paying for this in the price of the car. Personally I prefer to buy privately and speak to the owner, find out how the car has been looked after etc.

If it was me I'd be waiting for a higher specced privately owned and pampered car for less money.

Agree that buying privately let's you speak to the owner and get a better idea of how it has been looked after. Might be selling mine........good spec, well maintained (loads of reciepts).............

Also mk6 gtis suffer timing chain failure, also oil consumption not really an issue in the fl tsi compared to the audi a4 2.0tsi which drink more than petrol, ive just bought 2011 petrol vrs with 50k on it and love it, I looked at mk6 gti but couldn't justify £4k more for same age/spec, just hold out for decent specced one ie columbus head unit, zenons, sunroof, leather seats as a lot of vrs are base models, good luck u wont regret it although to add I am getting latest revision tensioner fitted