Rapid sport advice, opinions please!

Hi all, I started a previous thread asking for opinions on whether I should purchase a mk 2 vrs Octavia or a mk 3 1.4 tsi se.

After going to my local dealer and having a good look I decided I preferred the mk 3 although I was a bit put off by the sheer size of it.

I was walking out and spotted a rapid sport and straight away thought it was stunning, I really liked it and being a bit smaller I'm very tempted with it.

I can get a mk 3 1.4 tsi se Octavia 2013 which has done approx 15,000 milesfor around £13000 or a rapid sport 2014 with around 2000 miles for a slightly cheaper price.

I would really appreciate any thoughts, opinions, advice on which one would be the better car to go for and why. Is the Octavia that much of a better car and is the sport any different to a normal Rapid? What would I be losing out on if I picked the rapid above a se Octavia?

Thanks in advance

Martin

Strangely I've just switched from a Octavia III SE TDI 150 estate to a Spaceback SE TSI 105 with Sportpack (so similar to a Rapid Sport).

The Octavia was a nice car, well made with a good standard of equipment, however I couldn't get on with the seat design, or offset to the right foot pedals; gave me progressively more problems with hip and knee joints; so on medical advice I got rid of the car.

The Spaceback on the other hand with it's sports seats and properly aligned foot pedals, has proved much more comfortable and while its not got all the bells and whistles of the Octavia, I prefer the specification of the Spaceback; has cruise, steering wheel controls, corner fog and an armrest, which on the Octavia were not standard. These options I found much more useful than an infomat system or greentech stop start and energy recovery for example. Oh and parking has become more straightforward again :giggle:

About the only negative comment I can make about our Spaceback, is the level of poor road surface feedback transmitted by the 17" Dunlop tyres through the accelerator pedal in the form of a mild vibration.

TP

The Octavia is an SE and the Rapid Sport is based on an SE with Rays alloys,sport interior,tailgate spoiler,sunset glass at the rear,Black mirror covers and Sport pedal covers (tacky I think). I agree it's a nice car and I think is more equipped than an SE Octavia.

Thanks guys, what about the build quality?

I keep reading that the interior is not as nice or as well made.

Also am I right in saying it is not built on the mqb platform? If it is not then could someone please explain the differences as I have no idea!

Thanks guys, what about the build quality?

I keep reading that the interior is not as nice or as well made.

Also am I right in saying it is not built on the mqb platform? If it is not then could someone please explain the differences as I have no idea!

Build quality seems just as good as the Octavia III and I'm more than happy with the interior, albeit none of the dash surfaces are soft touch.

Platform wise then the Rapid is effectively a current generation Polo (so pre-dates MQB) but with a longer wheelbase; the front track is also the same as the Polo, however the rear is wider by around 50mm.

MQB is a new generation of modular platform, that is supposedly lighter and more adaptable for use on a wider range of models across the VAG group, than the older system of platforms designed around vehicle size; small hatch, family hatch etc.

TP

• Like 1

The plumber is right in almost everything. However if the term build quality applies to materials, than the Octavia III is in a totally different class.

Edited by harisma23

Thanks for all the advice guys.

Today I went and bought my Rapid sport!

I had a test drive of it and was very impressed. I had a good look at the Octavia also and whilst I agree the interior is nicer I don't think there is that much in it other than the soft dash and the touch screen that does look nice. Obviously I don't know the about the mechanics and the overall build quality but just comparing the two cars I think all the reviews I have been reading and watching have been very harsh on the Rapid.

I personally prefer the look of the rapid especially the sport and for what I paid, £12900 for a 14 plate ex demo with hardly any mileage I think it is an absolute steal.

I also think I've found my wife's next car, the rapid spaceback, a really nice car and it looks much better in the flesh. My wife really liked it and wants one!

Thanks for all the advice.

• Like 4