2010 Skoda octavia 1.6 TDI Elegance set off

Im new to Skodas I find setting off very strange I select 1st if I give it revs like I used to in my old picasso it seems to judder but I have noticed if I do not touch the revs and just slowly release the clutch the revs increase from 750 to 1000 and car moves smoothly away same in reverse also when I change to second with out using gas pedal it races away but then reduces after a few seconds (not good in slow moving traffic jams) is this normal I have a 2010 Skoda octavia 1.6 TDI Elegance

Yes that's normal.

It idles at 1000rpm to aid setting off.

It will feel like it runs away when going a second gear. You get a surge of torque when doing this so it will pull strong then settle down.

The gearing is also quite long so there could be a bit of shifting into second slightly too early?

Phil

• Like 1

There have been a few complaints on the anti-stall feature over the years.

Most get used to it, a few have had real issues with it, even going as far as calling it dangerous.

I can't say I've noticed it on my 2.0 TDi Superb but I'm guessing all modern Skoda's have this feature?

You dont actually need to give it revs to pull away, it will pull off from stationary just by lifting the clutch which is great in slow traffic, lift up clutch and then apply throttle is how I used to drive my old Octy diesel.

The other problem sounds like changing gear too soon, so the revs are to low when you get to second and the anti-stall kicks in to stop the car dying.

You can alter the idle rpm from 780 to 850 ,this will help when starting off. I normally just take the foot off the clutch slowly and no issues. Have 101000km and mapped

(I have the rpm at 850, max rpm you can put is 880)

Edited by alberg

• 8 months later...

I recently changed to a solid flywheel only Yesterday, the problem is when I am setting off in first gear I get a vibration, all of the other gears seem fine, the Mechanic said the clutch needs to bed in, is this true? as I am not sure. the clutch kit is a valeo conversion kit.

thanks much help will be appreciated for peace of mind.

Wrong thread.

This thread is about a 1.6 TDI CR. And relating to the anti-stall feature.

Your car is a 1.9 PD. Totally different engine, gearbox, clutch and flywheel.

Phil