Considering Yeti

mylesm

Respect your views greatly, from one old kibby to another (including Graham who looks a bit wrinkly!!!).

Off topic (but it's allowed) BMW2 Active Tourer looked pricy like for like (even split rear seats are extra and not

sure about 1.5L 3 cyl engine with only 2.0L alternative at premium price, smaller inside too!...and BMW 1st

move into front wheel drive???

With regard to the 'exitement' I was only proposing a slightly bigger Non 4WD "ALTERNATIVE" not a "Competitor"

as so often mentioned..... Moving on.....

Graham ..Yes difficult to hone in to a specific area that you are looking for...and posters

major on modding Golf's to the nth degree most of which not answered... Somehow all a bit sterile and unfriendly.

Maybe BriSkoda should BriVeeW!!! There's an opportunity for you!!

Edited by kibby

Stan, do want a job at Brighton?

Did you see my mug in the AGM bumph?

A Job ! ?  ......   A JOB!! ???...........

..........I tried work once but it didn't suit me.  Brought me out in a rash.

I retired relatively early and have to say I don't miss it unduly.

And the commute to Brighton is 4hrs 7 mins according to the AA

So I think I'll have to pass on that particular one.  :-)

EDIT.  Forgot the bit about the CSMA AGM.    No, must admit to having missed that, but confess to not always studying every page. Sorry about that.

Edited by oldstan

Please make sure you check with the Yeti Police before buying, you may not fit the profile they require.

The 1.2 TSI is good and can be surprisingly spritely, but felt a little underpowered in the Yeti I test drove, more suited to the Fabia imo. I want a 170 4x4 version but sadly I have a long way to go before I can apply for the exclusive membership that is Yeti ownership.....

Have to agree on the 1.2 Tsi, great engine but once the car was loaded up on our extended test it felt lacking. IMO Skoda should have left the 1.4TSI in the Yeti as that did have both turbo and supercharger with more than enough grunt.

Although my 1.6tdi has the same bhp in stock form, the extra torque makes it much more drivable all rounder. My advice would be to try a 1.6 and 1.2 side by side or try and source a second hand 1.4tsi.

IMO Skoda should have left the 1.4TSI in the Yeti as that did have both turbo and supercharger with more than enough grunt.

Nope. Just the turbo. The twincharger version (a la Golf GT for example) would have meant no need of the 1.8TSi in the Yeti, which plainly does soldier on. But the twincharger always has rumours of being too complex and costly and hence is used in only a relatively few higher-spec models. Isn't it being phased out anyway?

I own a 2.0crd 170 yeti. (The most powerful).

U have driven the 1.2tsi yeti. Ok it's not setting any land speed records but it never felt inadequate - and was sprightly enough when given enough encouragement.

Small engines have come a long way. I recall the days of a 1.0 Vauxhall nova taking 20'seconds to reach 60mph.

Nope. Just the turbo. The twincharger version (a la Golf GT for example) would have meant no need of the 1.8TSi in the Yeti, which plainly does soldier on. But the twincharger always has rumours of being too complex and costly and hence is used in only a relatively few higher-spec models. Isn't it being phased out anyway?

I hope it's not, I'm sure the Golf 1.4 TSI I had for work had both supercharger and turbo? Or is it just the engine version used by Skoda is the twincharger?

Going back to the OP I have had the 1.2 TSI with the manual box for about 18 months now. It has been absolutely problem free throughout that time (unlike my previous Volvo that I'm sure had a reserved space at the local dealers). I can't speak for the DSG box but I find that if you are realistic in your expectations the 1.2 is an excellent engine. Driving solo I find it a pleasantly lively drive (although this may be as much down the handling of the car and the high driving position rather than any great acceleration or speed) and over a 200mile journey with four up, three dogs and holiday luggage although it was like driving a different car we all arrived safe and fresh. I'm seldom in a rush to get anywhere but do quite a lot of short trips and still get almost dead on 40mpg (true rather than from the Maxidot, which suggests closer to 42mpg) but as others will no doubt confirm drive hard and fast and the mpg will fall rapidly. My feeling is that mpg is more affected by sustained higher speesd than it is journey lengths; this might not be true of the diesel engines which i believe take longer to get up to temperature.

If you are happy with the limitations of a small engine I think you will find the Yeti gives you a lot of car (and pleasure) for your money. I would agree that factoring in an extra two years warranty will be worth peace of mind - but I think that's the case with pretty much any car these days - and one thing you should satisfy yourself about is whether the boot area will suit your needs; there have been comments on this forum at various times that the design would have benefited from a bit more length in the boot although the point also has been made that the short boot is to some extent offset by being able to stack higher than in conventional estates.

As for "Please make sure you check with the Yeti Police before buying, you may not fit the profile they require", my experience has been if you treat other forum members as you would like to be treated there isn't a problem, just a wealth of helpful, informed opinion.

• Like 2

Going back to the OP I have had the 1.2 TSI with the manual box for about 18 months now. It has been absolutely problem free throughout that time (unlike my previous Volvo that I'm sure had a reserved space at the local dealers). I can't speak for the DSG box but I find that if you are realistic in your expectations the 1.2 is an excellent engine. Driving solo I find it a pleasantly lively drive (although this may be as much down the handling of the car and the high driving position rather than any great acceleration or speed) and over a 200mile journey with four up, three dogs and holiday luggage although it was like driving a different car we all arrived safe and fresh. I'm seldom in a rush to get anywhere but do quite a lot of short trips and still get almost dead on 40mpg (true rather than from the Maxidot, which suggests closer to 42mpg) but as others will no doubt confirm drive hard and fast and the mpg will fall rapidly. My feeling is that mpg is more affected by sustained higher speesd than it is journey lengths; this might not be true of the diesel engines which i believe take longer to get up to temperature.

If you are happy with the limitations of a small engine I think you will find the Yeti gives you a lot of car (and pleasure) for your money. I would agree that factoring in an extra two years warranty will be worth peace of mind - but I think that's the case with pretty much any car these days - and one thing you should satisfy yourself about is whether the boot area will suit your needs; there have been comments on this forum at various times that the design would have benefited from a bit more length in the boot although the point also has been made that the short boot is to some extent offset by being able to stack higher than in conventional estates.

As for "Please make sure you check with the Yeti Police before buying, you may not fit the profile they require", my experience has been if you treat other forum members as you would like to be treated there isn't a problem, just a wealth of helpful, informed opinion.

Waiting to enjoy my Yeti outdoor elegance 1.2TSI manual when its delivered at the end of September. Probably live 20 miles up the road to the west of you Paul52 and use to have an aunty that lived in Havent who we would visit. What dealer did you get your car from?

I've said it before & I'll say it again, I love my 1.2 TSi :D

It's a 59 plate and other than the fact that it had the engine replaced before I bought it in 2012 I've had no issues whatsoever (engine was replaced due to cam chain lengthening which caused internal damage - all work carried out by Skoda under warranty @10k miles).

Plan is to keep mine for another 2-3 years yet, at which point it will be 7 years old having covered probs around 60-70k.  I would (and frequently do) recommend this car to anyone & everyone!

I've had mine loaded up with 5 big blokes and luggage and they were amazed it was a 1.2. Having the DSG hides the performance, or lack of it, a bit. By that I mean with 7 gears the car does change down quite often depending on driving conditions, ie. wanting to accelerate or going up steady inclines on motorways. Usually by one or two gears. This is not a problem as the changes are relatively smooth. You do notice down changes more than up changes and obviously the revs rise. In summer I'm averaging 39 mpg, in the colder months usually 36 mpg (brim to brim) but a lot of that is short journeys under 10 miles.

As I said in my earlier post I have never found the performance of the 1.2 lacking.

A Job ! ?  ......   A JOB!! ???...........

..........I tried work once but it didn't suit me.  Brought me out in a rash.

I retired relatively early and have to say I don't miss it unduly.

And the commute to Brighton is 4hrs 7 mins according to the AA

So I think I'll have to pass on that particular one.  :-)

EDIT.  Forgot the bit about the CSMA AGM.    No, must admit to having missed that, but confess to not always studying every page. Sorry about that.

I know the feeling about work, having been off sick since December!! 

No problem with the AGM, I'm one of 2 being elected unopposed to the Motoring Committee.(again)

Thanks very much to everyone for their helpful replies I am nearly decided to go for the yeti 1.2.dsg it is a model fitted with the panoramic sunroof I see there were some problems with earlier ones this car is a 2011 so have the leaky sunroofs been resolved in later post 2010 cars

Thanks Again for helping me make my decision

mylesm

Yes, you have to be a member of the CSMA (Civil Service Motoring Assoc)

Agreed but you'd have to be a very strange fellow if they couldn't find some way to accept you as a member. They seem to be very lenient on criteria for membership.

Fred

Ooops, should have read Oldstans comments before posting this!

I hope it's not, I'm sure the Golf 1.4 TSI I had for work had both supercharger and turbo? Or is it just the engine version used by Skoda is the twincharger?

If I recall there was a Golf GT with the twincharger at some point, but twinchargers are pretty rare. The latest 1.4TSi gives 150bhp-ish with just the turbo (in the Golf GT, Leon FR, A3-something) which would probably be ideal for a Yeti 2WD, but would likely embarrass a few 1.8TSi drivers in the dry ;)

• Like 1

any reply re sunroofs thanks

Thanks very much to everyone for their helpful replies I am nearly decided to go for the yeti 1.2.dsg it is a model fitted with the panoramic sunroof I see there were some problems with earlier ones this car is a 2011 so have the leaky sunroofs been resolved in later post 2010 cars

Thanks Again for helping me make my decision

mylesm

anyone have any comment re sunroofs please may do deal tomorrow

thanks

mylesm

My sunroof (6 months & 12,000 miles old) has not given me any issue.

As I understand it, a new sunroof design came into effect during 2011 which fixed the leaky issues with the first ones.

I've not had any problems with my sunroof in the 18 months I've had the car (from new) but i recall there has been past discussion and i think a "fix" was found, routing the drainage through to the rear wheel arches. This link might help..

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/286204-sunroof-drain-holes/