Turbo Soot (manchester)

benni8

Morning Gents..

Just want to see if anyone else has come across this problem.

For the past 3 months I have become more aware of a 'dog whistle' noise that lasts a couple of seconds when I hit 2k revs in lower gears I.e. 1st and 2nd. I don't really pick up on it in higher gears.. That's not to say it isn't there.

I have taken in to Lee's garage in Royton Manchester (good guy) and obviously checked for boost leaks.. we identified a leak and changed the ribbed pipe coming from the air filter.

This decreased the level of leak on his machine but not fully.

He did a smoke test and we looked for an hour (over 2 visits) and can't find the smoke or a leak.

He mention it could be the egr value staying open so he could either clean it out or replace it for me to see if this would help... But when I mentioned I am not losing any power or mpg then he mentioned that the egr would unlikely be the problem.

When we put the car in the air.. he shon the light up towards the turbo and mentioned he could see some soot on the turbo that would indicate my possible leak.

He wiped it off and now I will go back in a week to see if anymore build-up has formed.

I am hoping this won't mean a change I turbo?

Car is on 101k.. remapped to 165k 270ft.. original turbo, looked after and not abused.

Any advice or fixes.. I'd be willing to meet up with someone who could look at it for me etc.. would be appreciated.

Cheers

• 5 months later...

Only just seen this topic, I have what i think is exactly the same issue, still trying to figure out what it is, it sounds like a boost leak but i dont seem to be getting excessive smoke, mine does use a little oil though (approx 1 ltr every 2.5k miles) 

did you find out what the problem is? 

Cheers

Dazzler 

Same here changed lower and upper boost pipes for metal bends and silicon pipes, but the noise is still there, starting to think it's the turbo on its way out!

Sorry i Cant help But i also have the same problem, Replace all top turbo hoses and one 90 Degree unerneath coming out of Intercooler.

Still The Same problem, I Am getting car remapped on Saturday By darkside developments and i will ask them if they know what it is And ill get back to this forum.

Unfortunatly Im pointing more towards a Turbo On its way out 

But fingers crossed  :peek:

I had something that sounded a bit like this but don't know if it's will be the same problem. Turned out to be a damaged out of balance compressor wheel.

Have you looked at the pipe that links the exhaust manifold to the bottom of the EGR? It's not uncommon for these to start leaking. Easy/cheap fix if it turns out to be this. 

Also have you checked to see how clogged up the EGR valve actually is? it's easy enough to see if you remove the top boost hose and shine a torch inside. Could be worth removing that and cleaning it, also a good idea to do the inlet manifold at the same time though it is a little more work. 

Mine has bit of a whistle similar to what you describe in the lower gears however it's always been like that since I've owned it. If the turbo goes it goes, there's not much you can do really and the turbo on these isn't known for it's reliability. Some have failed as low as 70k miles in the past even when looked after while others have gone onto 140-150k+ before dying. 

My turbo is at 145k and im experiencing a very similar problem (the squeaking noise). I'm starting to worry about how much longer my turbo will last as ive had a stage 1 map on the car for about the last 35k.

I don't think its a turbo on the way out, it sounds more like a boost leak, just have not found it yet. 

good shout on the EGR though, I'm hoping to get this off for a clean this weekend if i get the time, hopefully I will find something....

I have the same issue.

Just before Christmas I got the two boost hoses, from the turbo to the intercooler, replaced as I had a boost leak.

Solved my boost leak problem (regained original power) but now I have that whistle which kicks in from 2k revs and last for about 2-3 secs when pressing accelerator. Its goes about after the car has been running for about 2-3 mins (I'm guessing things have heated up and expanded).

My mechanic has said its the connection on the turbo where they replaced the boost pipe that the whistle noise is coming from.

The only way to cure it is to replace the turbo they said.

I've 147k miles on the car and everything is standard. This turbo noise is beginning to annoy me so i will chat to the mechanic again and see if its def the turbo connection. I think it does make sense that it is this as thats the area they worked on when replacing the pipes and now the noise had appeared.

still cant seem to see anything out of place on mine, the noise on mine is more like a flapping noise and happens only between 2 and 2.5k RPM after that it goes away, does sound like something flapping until there is pressure to hold it, 

it has been doing it for 20k miles so maybe i should just live with it :p