Stupid Question - ESP/Traction Control

Whitey779

Hi Guys,

Ok... 2012 Monte Carlo 1.6 Tdi - It does have a Revo Remap on it...

I gave it full throttle leaving a roundabout in the wet to get out of a trucks way... the wheels spun... a lot. So i proceeded to a private road and it appears that my car has no sort of traction control or anything installed? Is this normal? It has ABS as I tested that to be sure...

My test was:

Wet road... doing about ten mile an hour... raise the revs with the clutch in and release the clutch to initiate a wheelspin... I held it for a little longer than I wanted to, just to be sure that the car didnt have a very slow reaction time like my old golf GT-Tdi... and nothing. Then I noticed the lack of a button in order to turn it off.

Did some not come fitted with any sort of traction control? Could the Revo map have disabled it?

It doesn't really concern me... I am just shocked by skoda! We've all known a person that thinks 'they can drive' and we all know its only the electronics keeping them on the road!

Cheers guys

Jon

If you did have Traction Control, it might be cutting power to the engine when it read wheel spin.

So maybe just control your own wheel spin according to the conditions, road surface, tyres etc.

Surely you knew what the car has and does not have before you had it Remapped,

like no TC Button.

Personally i nearly always have the Traction Control off on a MK2 vRS

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

I find the traction control on the Fabia quite intrusive the cutting of power is quite dramatic and heavy handed.

The EDL is great in snow though, really missed that when we had the HTP without anything fitted.

Lee

Our 2012 Monte TSI has ESP+ but we had to pay extra, as this primary safety system was only an optional extra until mid 2013, when Skoda eventually made it standard but only because of EU legislation.

VW on the other hand started standardising ESP long before the law forced them too.

TP

Yeah cheers guys. My Mk1 VRS had a really smooth traction control system... But my wheels spun... no flashing lights... nothing. it would have sat there spinning all day!

It's just something thats never crossed my mind or id even noticed before. as a policeman I usually drive quite tamely but when I noticed it I explored... and yep... like my old 1995 Swift GTi! nothing! hahah

Jon

How do we check if its got esp ? Its 62 plate Monty

Ours has the following code within the data sticker on the boot floor and service book (as does the Spaceback);

1AT = Electronic stabilization program (ESP)

Also there's a traction control deactivation switch above the heated rear window switch, plus a traction control test/warning light in the instrument cluster.

TP

I wont lie, im greatful mine doesnt have traction control... but im a little horrified as im pretty sure the fabia is (sorry guys) aimed at the more younger or maybe more female drivers on the mass marked (except us with Monte's and VRS'... we are manly men!) so to have a car for that sort of market with no sort of traction control is frankly scary! hahh

I wont lie, im greatful mine doesnt have traction control... but im a little horrified as im pretty sure the fabia is (sorry guys) aimed at the more younger or maybe more female drivers on the mass marked (except us with Monte's and VRS'... we are manly men!) so to have a car for that sort of market with no sort of traction control is frankly scary! hahh

^^^^ this

The Monte Carlo is just the same as any other Fabia 1.2 TSI or 1.6 CR TDI with a Minimum 105 ps,

and there are plenty that are without Traction control.

It is mainly women i see driving them, but just not many on this forum.

& not mainly manly women)

I am sure men and women drive none Sporty Looking Fabias with a sporting bias without them flying off the road.

(EU Legislation often forces Skoda  / VWG into providing as standard stuff that can be considered as safety equipment and other manufactures fit as standard.)

The OP remapped his beyond 105 ps without knowing if it had or not got TC.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 1

I'm sure many on this thread are having a laugh but seriously the Fabia is a small modern supermini. I'm sure most females are quite capable of driving it without flying off the road.

My wife was brought up driving 200-320bhp saloons and hatchbacks a mixture or AWD, RWD and FWD. Most of which had no traction control or ESP just proper Limited Slip Diffs.

In fact come to think of it some didn't even have ABS or Airbags. :D

Lee

Edited by logiclee