1.6 tdi CR going into "storage"

Hi All,

Due to new job starting in a couple of weeks will be taking delivery of my new 330 d touring f31 BMW and the Skoda will have very little work if any at all for weeks on end.... Any advice on how to keep it in a good shape as I do not want to sell it.

thanks 

I'd like to know the same! Got a VRS CR170 and an Ibiza FR PD130 and need to put one of them to bed for 4 months whilst my wife drives the other (preferably keep her Ibiza out!).

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

That's true, but if the battery is really knackered they can swop it out for one of their trade ins going to auction. Or they sell it to you.

If you give it a good drive every couple of weeks, it should be fine.

A proper drive - presumably you love the car or you'd flog it - so as far as you can, not just round the block.

Everything needs to get nice and hot to dry out condensation, not just in the oils and exhaust, but the air con and interior.

I did this to a car for a couple of years and it went on to over 200,000 miles.

If you can't get to drive it and check it out regularly, and it's going to be a while....

Those battery tenders are ok, if the battery starts out ok.

Tyres, really depends on the time span. A bit of extra air would be nice, but don't go hooning around with too much extra pressure in there. Make sure they don't sit with low pressure ie bulging sidewalls as that can cause the tread belts to sit all distorted.

A service before storage will help stop acid by products etching away the engines interior.

Some form of paintwork protection would be good. There are lots of longlife waxes. I have just polished mine and it was/is covered with very sticky, very tenacious resin from next doors trees which are quite a way away. And we all know about bird **** and paint.

A friend had a decent car cover which didn't scratch the car, it had a sort of fleece inside. He had it mainly to keep it a bit more anonymous, being parked on his drive in sarf Lundnn, but it kept it clean too.

thanks for the advice, the full service was done 3000 kms ago so should be fine and it will be in a garage and have occasional use by the wife anyway, just not regular service as it has seen until now.

As for selling, as far as I see it, it is not really a good option. The car is great has no issues and when I bought it was already with the idea to own it for many years/kms - so I just see this as a "help" in that direction as I never really liked company cars as they are seen here, I prefer to get the extra pay than to have the car/maintenance/diesel payed for by the company - If I get that same amount I can make a better use of it, lol.  But anyway will not complain for a while, the BMW is a great car with a fantastic engine and I am not paying its bills so will enjoy it for a while (and the German autobahn as well).

Edited by ruiatalmeida