Gearbox went pop - help

DBP

I have been bothering bowders with this, but thought I would leave him alone to have some peace from me ha.

From the start....

Drive shaft went bang, replaced it with anew piece. Driving along a week after and I heard a bolt pop out, naughty me, I ignored it. I then went on a date on wednesday and there was an almighty bang and the car started vibrating. Took a look the next day and what had happened was the first dog done mount bolt had dropped out and the other one had sheared off. Wasn't able to get someone to help until today. To stop the vibration, I decided to take out the mount until I could have the bolt removed. (max 2 days) I did notice there was oil, but I thought it was from my sump (has a slight leak) and the dog bone mount was jacking the engine forward. Went for another day, was about to leave... crunch, wont move. Got in touch with Mark and it seems the diff has gone pop. Managed to get it home now I have to fix this.

I know there are some stupid  mistakes by me in there, but I thought I better explain it all, just in case there's something else I should look at as well.

So I have a spare gear box which apparently has an LSD in it. Only cost me £100, so worth the punt, especially now. but I have a few concerns about it....

Diff: I can spin both it both directions with my hand easily and both ends will go together. If I hold one, I can still move the other. Is that right? 

First of all, drain plug, bit of corrosion

IMAG2117_zps2aec7649.jpg

Around the diff housing looks like sealant. make sense if an LSD was put in?

IMAG2120_zpsbda3fb42.jpg

White corrosion over the gear box. Clutch fluid or road salt?

IMAG2112_zps9d46ef61.jpg

IMAG2110_zpse80d422c.jpg

IMAG2116_zpsbc18a177.jpg

IMAG2113_zps986b6201.jpg

Oil on one of the couplers

IMAG2114_zps8c692f6e.jpg

Clutch release bearing is a bit rusty?

IMAG2107_zps76b07abf.jpg

VIDEOS OF IT MOVING

http://vid974.photobucket.com/albums/ae229/lamboluv3/VIDEO0090_zpse45a0767.mp4

http://vid974.photobucket.com/albums/ae229/lamboluv3/VIDEO0089_zps4f7b1c09.mp4

also I need a new clutch as well (makes sense) I want to do the G60 setup, but I am really struggling with parts traders. They all want to know what size it is, what engine it come off, what colour is the 3rd bolt from the left and so forth. They are struggling with idea that its a g60 clutch going on a 1.8t engine. So could someone please share all the details about it so I can get one ordered.

Edited by DBP

Gearbox is not my forte, but I believe you need the clutch from a Golf MK3 VR6 (when they ask for the dimensions etc, this should tell em).  Do not mention it is going on a 1.8T as that will only confuse em even further

I also have a gearbox from my MK1 vrs, dry-stored and I do not remember it looking like yours (the shiny black cover in 3rd piccie..)  I can have a look during the weekend if it helps.

let me know how you're getting on

I'd say no you don't have an LSD in it if you can turn the drive shaft flanges in opposite directions no hassle then sorry it don't have a LSD in it. ..

It don't look like mk1 vrs because that in the above pic is a 5 speed what I would call tdi type box and from the pictures looks a little wet around the offside driveshaft flange and could do with a new seal don't want it leaking them boxes are like rocking horse **** to get a good one.. What car is it going in.?

It looks like every other 5 speed o2j gearbox

Loads around lol

Funny as

+1

yeah the white powdery stuff on the box is not uncommon if box has been out some time and weather gets to it. The alloy reacts with water.

So a good clean up is needed for a start, would never put that in my car without a clean .........lol 

The oil on couplers maybe dripped form other areas but hard to tell, again a good clean will at least show what's what.

Shortly after I took the photos I gave it a clean. Need some more degreaser though! Oh well, box only cost £100. Thought it would have been to go to be true. never mind. Least I have a box.