Bought one :-) just one query though...

Hi All 

Well decided to bite the bullet and pay the extra money to get a low mileage VRS TDI pd what was for sale in Brum this week and so far I love it!! 

Been checking the service history and although its full dealer history till last year and has only done 64k I can't see anywhere in the history if the cambelt has been changed.

Reading the pinned data sheet at the top of the forum It looks like I'm over by 2 years (07 reg)  on having it done if its recommended at between 4 and 5 years or at the mileage below.

Up to MY2006:

120,000 Km /
74,564 Miles. From
MY2007: 150,000
Km / 93,205 Miles

My question is I've used the Lion Garage before for minor things on my old Golf GTTDI but never anything major like a cambelt and waterpump kit.  has anyone ever used them for bigger jobs?

Can anyone recommend any other decent independent within the hinckley/leicester way so I can get some quotes?

Thanks in advance
Phil 

Ring the dealers who have their stamps in the service book.

Although under the mileage Skoda UK have a blanket four year time interval on cambelts.

If as you say it was main dealer serviced until last year then it should have had a cambelt.

My PD170 vRS had it's cambelt replaced and it wasn't marked in the service book, but I kept the receipt.

It will be worth a quick phone call.

You could try Just VW in Coventry, (iAuto as it is now called). Its the same people that have always ran it, and used to be based in Bulkington. It has won some Garage of the Year award for the last 2 years.

When I had cambelt done there it as about £320 ish inc. new coolant and new water pump. All the guys there are ex main dealer technicians (don't know whether that it good or bad?! lol)

http://iautouk.com/coventry/

Lewwy

Cambelt service is just marked as a 'toothed belt' tickbox in the log. You'd think something so expensive would be marked more clearly.

When the dealer replaced mine i asked for the book to be filled in & stamped in the rear section of the book for extra work......they didnt,instead they stamped & filled in the next service due page,at least its stamped & filled in but ive kept the invoice anyway. 

Sorry for the late reply guys been in the land that time forgot in terms of phone signal all weekend ( Peterborough) 

Thanks for all the replies I will give these few companies a call and see what the crack is on price,

I've double checked the last entry and since new its been in the same garage up in York and on each service they have ticked the no box on toothed belt which is annoying but will give them a call to see if they did anything else,

Thanks again 

Phil 

Can confirm that the main dealers are not the most reliable bunch - my neglected to even reset the service interval on my car! Thankfully I can sort this myself, but it's not good enough.

i Know I was an ex ford technician in a previous life.

You think your hard hearned cash is being spent to pay a qualified technician when nine times out of ten your service is being carried out by the apprentice without direct supervision