Octavia MK1 - Door "open" dash light & buzzer failure

darrylg

Well, at the risk of becoming known as "Mr Lock", here is yet another fault that involves the door lock mechanism electronics.

I managed to fix this at the weekend, with a little soldering and a lot of patience.

Symptoms are:

- Dash light does not come on when you open the door.

- Central locking re-locks the car after 30secs even though you've opened the driver's door.

- Lights on buzzer does not work when you leave the lights on and open the driver's door (if the issue is with the drivers door mechanism).

The problem is a broken solder joint on the PCB board within the door lock mechanism electronics.

On removal of the mechanism, I could wiggle the black connector block with it still connected to the wiring loom and the "door open" light would come on on the dashboard.  So it showed as an intermittent connection.

broken_solder_joint.png

Here's how I fixed it.

(Warning, we will disassemble the lock, so you need time, otherwise, no lock for the car door!)

Also, see my other posts on the mechanics of the door locking mechanism and some great pictures in case you forget how to put it back together!

1, Get access to the lock mechanism using the usual door inner removal process.

loosen_screws_for_window.png

2, Loosen the two screws that secure the window regulator support that obstructs the lock mechanism.  Do not remove the screws, just loosen them as much as possible.

3, Remove the lock mechanism and unplug it (wiggle the block connector to verify if you have the same issue).

remove_spring.png

4, Remove the spring from the lock mech.

unscrew_1.png

5, Remove the single screw from the black lock front.

unscrew_2.png

6, Remove the 8 screws from the top of the lock casing.

unclip_1.png

unclip_2.png

7, Prise the clips from either side of the casing/lock unit that holds the electronics casing to the lock mechanics.

repaired_broken_solder_joint.png

8, My solder joint was very slightly cracked.  Enough so that I could wiggle it and it would re-connect.

So I got the soldering iron out and heated it up.  I applied a little more fresh solder also.

Obviously I'm no electronics expert, so my soldering is questionable at best, but it was good enough  ;-)

9, Reassemble and re-connect to check if the dash light now works.

10, Reassemble door inner.

That's it.

It took me about 30 mins to strip the door, 30 mins to solder and 30 mins to put the door back together.

Total saving £30.

• 1 year later...

Hello

I have the same issue in my car my VIN no is TMBBGL1U03A018116

my driver side door, front left door and rear left door doesnt show door open light on dashboard.

Similarly buzzer if light switch on is not working it was working 2 months back.

I would like to know the Lock picture you showed ...  this lock assemblely or actuator is different for each door?

How much it will cost in orignal skoda or If I buy from ebay UK site will you recommend the products from Germany cost 19 Pound..

Thanks

Sudeep Kulkarni