Replaced wing mirror glass. wing mirrors now dont adjust....

as title, recently replaced the wing mirror glass on near side. i took out my off side as well to make sure i'd bought the correct type (near side dissapeared after the mrs said it fell out while driving the other day).  anyway, since replacing, the O/S (drivers) wing mirror adjustment has gone all bonkers and the N/S isnt as it was before.

O/S just doesnt move the mirror glass correclty - the little knob is stuck in the 5 o'clock position - when i go to move it, there is a lot of resistance - when forced, it moves, but the mirror doesnt really go where i want it to, then the knob kind of springs back into the 5 o'clock position again.

now, before i go and remove the door panel, or anything else, is there a cheeky fix to this? it seems like the metal cable might be caught somewhere? i've tried moving the glass around by hand to see if it frees it up, even removed the glass again to see if anything was stuck inside, but its all clear.

anyone taken the wing mirror assembly apart before? is it a bit of a fiddle to get it apart/back to gether again?

i will try to upload some images at some point to illustrate if needs be.

sorry for lengthy wordy post :(

• 3 weeks later...

right, i know what the problem is. the cable has pushed through the plastic housing that sits just behind the wing mirror glass, snapping the plastic, therefore rendering the cable adjuster useless.

is there anywhere i can get parts for wing mirrors? i'll contact a skoda branch, but if there is somewhere like ebay that i can get hold of the part cheaper i'd obvs rather that....

On the second day of owning my vRS I had the unfortunate incident of a pigeon flying out of a hedge and not liking the black wing mirrors and snapping one off completely. Went to skoda expecting it to be 100's of pounds but for a new mirrors glass, cover, paint and shroud all for £66. Give them a call as they aren't as bad price wise as you think.

On the second day of owning my vRS I had the unfortunate incident of a pigeon flying out of a hedge and not liking the black wing mirrors and snapping one off completely. Went to skoda expecting it to be 100's of pounds but for a new mirrors glass, cover, paint and shroud all for £66. Give them a call as they aren't as bad price wise as you think.

Thats really cheap.

I take it, being a vrs, these are the electrically operated heated version?

A family member needed a new mirror on a V REG ford focus a few years ago, and it came to about £250

When I had to replace I had the painted cover part, the paint for it, the shroud and the heated glass part (most expensive item). They got parts for me in 4 hours and offered to paint the cover.

• Like 1