Hutchysrs50 the second - 'The project'

hutchysrs50

A lot of pictures will be pointless to most people, just took random pictures as I was going along, will be interesting to people with a Vrs wanting to know what inside looks like!

For those of you that don't know, I'm doing a couple of upgrades all at the same time, the plan is somthing like this...

- Remove all standard boost pipes and standard intercooler, replace with THS seat sport style uprated intercooler and darkside boost pipes.

- Remove EGR valve and fit Allard egr delete

- Remove inlet manifold to clean and polish, hopfully aid in smooth air flow with the new egr delete attached. These both get very clogged up with carbon and can get very restrictive!

- Remove cylinder head, replace valves, valve stem oil seals as well as all other gaskets, head gasket etc... Some small work is being done to the head but nothing worth shouting about, not for the power I plan on running anyway!

- Remove standard turbo and replace with a new style xman hybrid - GT17/52. Check the for sale section for details.

- Remove the standard pd130 cold air feed and replace with the bigger seat ibiza cupra PD160 cold air feed In take.

- Remove standard air filter and replace with the jabbasport cone in a box air filter.

- Remove the standard accordion type turbo intake pipe and replace it with the darkside developments solid silicone pipe

- Remove the crank case breather and replace it with silicone bends and solid metal pipes with a catch can

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

I then moved onto cleaning up the block and the pistons, took a while to clean the dome in the Piston out but used a small wire brush similar to a tooth brush to clean the underside as well, then polished them up a little and cleaned everything with brake cleaner.

image.jpg

image.jpg

The cylinder head

How it looks bare, just a blank cylinder head really.

image.jpg

First thing I'm fitting is the injectors, using new seals bought from eBay at the cost of £9 each.

You have to make sure the bottom of the cylinder head where the injectors sit are clean and free from carbon build up. This is the proper tool for the job!

image.jpg

In use

image.jpg

And how it should look when clean before fitting the injectors

image.jpg

Adding a light smear of oil or grease to the rubber seals, push the injectors in and tighten the bolts, once all four are done it will look a little somthing

Like this.

It's also a good time to close the gap on the pins on the wiring loom for the injectors to make sure they keep a good connection.

image.jpg

Fitting a new camshaft oil seal, checking for wear on the cam and it looms almost new! Must have been well looked after and serviced well in the past.

image.jpg

Camshaft fitted In place with shells/bearings

image.jpg

And then tightend down into place with the injector rocker arms in place also.

image.jpg

Glow plugs fitted with anti seize grease incase they ever need to be removed again. Also showing some of the bottom of the cylinder head, has all been cleaned again before being fitted.

image.jpg

Skipping back a little, showing some work being done to the head with new valves and valve stem oil seals.

New valve stem oil seals

image.jpg

The state of the inlet valve, still lots of carbon build up!

image.jpg

Grinding the new valves in, such an easy job when a tool does the job for you!

image.jpg

The old valve stem oil seals

image.jpg

A couple of the cylinder head being cleaned up with new valves

image.jpg

image.jpg

• Like 1

:D Thanks

Everyone at work thinks I'm mad for taking the head off 'for no reason' but in my eyes if I'm taking the timing belt off to renew it and putting a hybrid turbo on the head is only a couple of bolts away from being off!

Good time to fit uprated head bolts as well, plenty more to come soon anyway :)

• Like 3

Got the rocker cover all cleaned up and in place with the new gasket and a light smear of grease.

image.jpg

image.jpg

Used this time to remove the spacer part to raise the oil cap up to the same as the engine cover. Since I'm not having one just took it away, sadly the oil cap sits sideways now :( any cure for this or better replacements?

image.jpg

Quite an interesting thread for those of us that are still learning our way around an engine bay. I'm certainly a long way off doing anything like this, but it's good to see someone putting the details in with plenty of pics. Keep up the good work fella.

Preparing the new turbo.

Removed the oil feed from the standard turbo and refitted with a new copper washer. The full metal pipe was replaced about 6 month ago when I previously fitted another turbo.

image.jpg

The oil return going into the block was cleaned and a fresh copper washer put on the back of this also.

image.jpg

A new gasket used on the oil return pipe.

image.jpg

And fitted in place

image.jpg

Test fitting the turbo.

I thought I would have to alter the housing slightly, turned out to be a really big pain anyway!

Hard to tell from the picture, but it's looking up at the bottom of the turbo. The red bit is the cover still on the turbo, as you can see it's almost touching the bull head, this needs to be altered (clocked)

image.jpg

Altering (clocking) the turbo.

I had to remove all the bolts and the housing completely.

image.jpg

How much it's been altered.

image.jpg

Fitted back on the car, as you can see the outlet is closer to the block now, suitable to get the boost pipes on.

image.jpg

• Like 3

Inlet manifold.

Bought an EGR delete kit, liked having the asv but will sacrifice it in the name of performance!

The kit beside the original egr

image.jpg

The blanking plate for the turbo.

image.jpg

Installed on the intake manifold

image.jpg

Some goodies got deliverd today. One of the intercooler brackets, 2 camshaft bolts, exhaust gasket and the plastic housing from the side of the head, I damaged it when removing the head so thought best to replace it now!

image.jpg

• Like 2

Timing belt

I thought best to replace the timing belt and water pump with the cylinder head being off, It had been changed about 30,000 ago so wasn't due but never mind!

Dayco timing belt kit & airtex water pump

image.jpg

And fitted in place

image.jpg