Broken down VRS

rory1080

Hello,

Earlier this morning i pulled out of a junction, up through the gears until in forth gear at about 2500rpm the car went into a sort of limp hope mode, no power and engine management light came on. Coasted car into a layby and was collected by a recovery service. Car will turn over but not start, recovery man plugged in his diagnostics machine and couldn't find any fault codes. Now sitting outside my local VW dealer waiting for me to give them a call on monday.

56 Reg Fabia VRS 1.9tdi with 112000 miles on the clock.

Any suggests as to what this could be would be greatly appreciated! 

Cheers,

Rory

I'm no expert, but worth checking the turbo ? There is apparently something you can do to disconnect the turbo so obviously if the turbo is totally seized its going to stop the car from running.

It will run like a dog but confirm if it has siezed.....BUT

that said though, if it was me I would want mechanical confirmation before just rushing ahead to get the car started just to prove it !! What if fragments have made it into the engine ??

I wouldn't take it dealer if it was me for such a blank cheque scenario, that will get expensive real quick and trusted independants can do a better job and cheaper ! There are other garages I would prefer over that scenario. Just my opinion

Cheers for your reply dominorisng,

Does anyone know if the car would start if the turbo was blown? There was no noise or black smoke when it lost power.

Unfortunately my trusted independant closed down last month leaving the VW garage as the only other one i'd trust however they are also closing down next month!

Cheers

Had similar years ago when my car was about 2 years old.

Car suddenly went into 'Limp Mode' the car would barely do 30mph until visit to dealer to get it sorted.

Apparently some little rubber-pipe was not replaced properly at time of the service.

Was refitted into position, 10 minutes I was on my way..

Car has now done a little over 88,000 miles with no repeat fiasco.

I would think you would have had some sort of loud expensive sounding noise, if turbo blew-up.

No it wouldn't start if the turbo is completed ceased. Think about it, the turbo actually is a component introduced to force induct extra air during combustion. If that has failed your system is literally starved of air.

I understand removing the boost pipes may assist it to start, but I honestly wouldn't do it, I'd confirm it is busted. Its looking like a turbo I'm afraid.

I very much doubt they fail making "kerching kerching kerching" I'm expensive fault style noises that you can tell in all cases ! Just google for the turbo failures, like this one he never mentioned anything about expensive noises !!!

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/140341-blown-turbo/