1.4 Tsi DSG Fuel Consumption - Long Journeys

I've had my new Octavia Estate 2 months now.  It's a 1.4TSI with the DSG Auto Box.  Very pleased with it except for it's fuel consumption on long journeys.  On a recent long journey of 150 miles each way the fuel consumption was 42-44 MPG.  This was mainly motorway driving at typical motorway speeds. The consumption is only marginally better than my everyday consumption.  I'll be honest I was expecting nearer 50MPG.  My old diesel auto gave 60MPG on the same journey.  The car has now done 2,000 miles and was set to 'Normal' driving mode.  Switching to Eco seems to make little or no difference except making the car more sluggish.

Is 42-44MPG what I should be expecting?  I have checked things like the tyre pressure.

I think it's down to how you drive at the end of the day.

I would expect higher figures than what your reporting. I can easily get 44mpg in the 2.0 tsi on the motorway as a comparison.

But that does require me to drive between 60-70mph with a light right foot.

Have you actually done a real calculation when you fill up at the station or relying on the trip computer ?

Depends what you call normal motorway speeds. I did 50 mpg each way Gloucester to Skegness for summer hols last month in our mk 2 1.4 tsi dsg estate, fully loaded with 4 people and luggage. If you're in a hurry it drops to low 40s. I average 40 overall and that includes mostly short urban trips. Motorway roadworks can force the mog up as you're stuck at lower speed for a while. I'd expect a mk3 to better this, certainly hope so as I've got one on order!

To paraphrase a previous post of mine - I moved from a Saab 9-5 2.3t with 220 bhp that gave around 30 mpg on FAST long trips. My 1.4TSi DSG hatch gives around 45 mpg on the same trips. If you're getting over 40 mpg from a car with the performance of the 1.4 TSi DSG, then you haven't got much to complain about. Forget it's a small capacity engine, just remember the performance on offer. IMHO.

Mk3 1.4tsi manual wagon, done 2000 miles.

At a steady 70mph, no wind, no gradient, no drafting and an ambient 20 degrees C, I get 50 mpg.

I recommend you use a GPS to validate accuracy of speedometer and odometer, I have experienced 9% and 5% variations respectively (not on the same car) but current car is 4% and 0.5%.

Also best to record your fuel consumption in something like "Fuelly" to check your current vehicle's Maxidot results. Mine is actually 0.5% pessimistic.

THEN you will have a better idea of what you are really getting.

Like you my previous 1.9D Octavia Mk 2 got better consumption, which is to be expected.

Edited by Gerrycan

My car has now done 21000 miles, so it looks like I'm ahead of most of you in terms of running in. On a steady motorway run at 70mph I have done 54mpg on a round trip (this is tank to tank, 57mpg indicated on maxidot), but this was motorway door to door with no real traffic on either leg so literally all done with the cruise set at 70 exactly. With a bit of non-motorway either end this becomes just under 50mpg tank to tank or 52-ish on the maxidot for a complete journey. If I do the A-road stuff a bit quicker and do 80-85 on the motorway (not in this country obviously...ahem) I get more like 45mpg (47-48 on maxidot).

On one journey around the M25 with the variable speed limit in use I didn't bother to knock the cruise off when I got clear of the M40 and consequently went half way around with the cruise control set somewhere between 55 and 60. The maxidot claimed I did 67mpg for that journey, but I didn't come home like that so I can't corroborate that measurement with a tank to tank comparison. I am unlikely ever to repeat that level of self-restraint, but I just wondered how high I could keep it!

My car has now done 21000 miles, so it looks like I'm ahead of most of you in terms of running in. On a steady motorway run at 70mph I have done 54mpg on a round trip (this is tank to tank, 57mpg indicated on maxidot), but this was motorway door to door with no real traffic on either leg so literally all done with the cruise set at 70 exactly. With a bit of non-motorway either end this becomes just under 50mpg tank to tank or 52-ish on the maxidot for a complete journey. If I do the A-road stuff a bit quicker and do 80-85 on the motorway (not in this country obviously...ahem) I get more like 45mpg (47-48 on maxidot).

On one journey around the M25 with the variable speed limit in use I didn't bother to knock the cruise off when I got clear of the M40 and consequently went half way around with the cruise control set somewhere between 55 and 60. The maxidot claimed I did 67mpg for that journey, but I didn't come home like that so I can't corroborate that measurement with a tank to tank comparison. I am unlikely ever to repeat that level of self-restraint, but I just wondered how high I could keep it!

Family holiday, motorways and A roads at speed limits 50mpg no problem, on my way to work with nothing else on the roads 20mpg, its a very flexible car !

Are you guys in a DSG, just to clarify? I'm still debating whether to take an early delivery (DSG instead of waiting 7 months for a manual!), and the drive was only so-so (quite sedate, not very involving and felt quite jerky at times) compared to the manual. If the DSG is decent on fuel and I can adapt to the rest I may just pull the trigger.

I'm dsg, you need to find mode/throtle control that suits you, do you know which mode you were in on the test drive?

Not sure I'd take the dsg for less waiting time, I loved how smooth the dsg was for me, if you don't get that maybe the dsg ain't for you. Try another test drive this time in normal mode and try it in sport too but, only once the engine is warm.

• Like 1

To be fair the dealer didn't have any Octavias with DSG, so I test drove a Yeti with the same 1.4 TSI engine but no mode selection. The drive was 99% sedate, relaxing, buttery smooth and once I'd stopped my clutch leg twitching every time the car slowed (lol) it was quite enjoyable. I loved how I could press the throttle a little and the car gently pulled away, changing up around 1,800rom for economy and grace. If I planted the throttle harder, suddenly the box 'knew' I wanted to make haste and didn't change up until more like 3,000rpm for faster acceleration. Impressive and quite fun, especially watching the gear number on the dials skip 1 to 7 in a few seconds where I'd still be chugging into third on a manual lol.

However I did notice on approach to a roundabout that I hit the brakes (not excessively) to give way because I didn't 'know' the car to be able to nail it and be sure I'd clear the roundabout in time, and then accelerated after the other car had passed. The gearbox made a couple of clunking sounds while it decided what gear to be in (I guess it was expectihg me to stop, not slow down a lot then accelerate again), and finally pulled away. That worried me and it's not something that would happen with a manual, obvously, as one can ensure the car is always in the right gear at the right time and make optimum progress without fuss.

That said I'm quite sure once you're used to the box and how to work it (throttle positions etc) it'd be quite a nice drive and things like that wouldn't really happen the same. It's just a risk as once the car's allocated and delivered I'm stuck with my choice for the three year lease! The manual is obviously much more engaging, you can block change from 6th to 3rd (for example) and then nail it. Meanwhile the DSG is still deciding what to do. But conversely the DSG is better on fuel (apparently), more relaxing, better round town and so on.

I think a better test drive would be a good idea. My last one was only 15 mins long due to the showroom closing soon, and only covered B roads and one A road. A proper drive may help make up my mind. Waiting 7 months for a manual to be built and delivered is a bit of a mickey take on such an ordinary car, tbh. The DSG is already on the boat and allocated to my dealer so I can have first dibs. As I said, tempted!

A better test drive in an Octavia is a must before you decide. I decided to wait for the manual (and am still waiting). I figure the manual and clutch, while not the best I've ever used, are decent and are light enough that driving in traffic isn't a pain. Then when you consider that I find the manual more fun than the DSG, will likely be more reliable, and is $2600 cheaper (which meant I could afford the panoramic sunroof, canton audio, and auto tailgate), the wait seemed worth it.

Another aspect to consider is how long you plan to keep the car. If you decide you don't like the DSG, you may be stuck with it for a while.

You can consider resale as well, especially if you only plan to keep the car a few years. Autos usually get more on resale.

When all is said and done, get the car that will make you happier as an owner, not as a buyer.

Are you guys in a DSG, just to clarify?

I'm in a manual. Several reasons, mainly that I bought used so you only get to pick from what's around, cost was a factor so anything above basic I had to justify to myself, and most importantly I plan to keep it until it breaks beyond economical repair and I don't know whether the DSG boxes are reliable. I've heard bad things, but there seems to be a difference between the wet/dry clutch variants (I think the 7-speed in the 1.4TSI is dry clutch?).

One of things I have noticed is that car is much more frugal when driven at a constant 60 MPH. I tired on the inside lane of a flattish stretch of motorway with the cruise control on.  This achieved indicated over 60 mpg on the trip computer.  The car is in 7th gear and revs low (below the point where I guess the turbo cuts in). 

When you go faster (say Motorway outside lane) there is no 8th gear, and the consumption drops to 40-45 mpg.  I suspect part of the of the problem is that the lack of an 8th gear means the engine is at the point where the turbo is just cutting in.  I assume this is less efficient point of the engine.   What this theory does not explain is why the 6-Speed manual gives better millage according to the Honest John Real MPG figures!

One thought my wife has is that the cruise control is less efficient than on the Merc/BMW's we have had in the past.  It does not seem to handle uphill and downhill stretches particularly well.  In my experience cruise control should be more efficient than driving manually at a constant speed. For some reason VAG adaptive cruise control is not available on UK spec Octavia's. 

Edited by MrkSkoda

One of things I have noticed is that car is much more frugal when driven at a constant 60 MPH. I tired on the inside lane of a flattish stretch of motorway with the cruise control on.  This achieved indicated over 60 mpg on the trip computer.  The car is in 7th gear and revs low (below the point where I guess the turbo cuts in). 

When you go faster (say Motorway outside lane) there is no 8th gear, and the consumption drops to 40-45 mpg.  I suspect part of the of the problem is that the lack of an 8th gear means the engine is at the point where the turbo is just cutting in.  I assume this is less efficient point of the engine.   What this theory does not explain is why the 6-Speed manual gives better millage according to the Honest John Real MPG figures!

One thought my wife has is that the cruise control is less efficient than on the Merc/BMW's we have had in the past.  It does not seem to handle uphill and downhill stretches particularly well.  In my experience cruise control should be more efficient than driving manually at a constant speed. For some reason VAG adaptive cruise control is not available on UK spec Octavia's. 

I may be taking you too literally here, but I would hardly call getting 45 MPG from an automatic petrol car driving at outside-lane-motorway-speeds (70mph honest officer) to be a 'problem'. In fact I'd consider that rather astonishingly good, especially in something as large as an Octy! The fact you can drop down to 60mph and then get over 60 MPG on a cruise, or else choose to plant your right foot and have rather satisfactory progress available without much of an economy penalty, is even better.

The 'problem' is not so much the lack of an eight gear, but rather one of ratios. As you note, the manual is 'only' six speed but still manages to better the DSG in consumption. That's without a seventh cog let alone an eighth. I suspect the DSG simply doesn't have the taller ratios of the manual box and hence sips more fuel (and/or sits at higher revs) for a given road speed. To be fair, at between 45 and 60 MPG I wouldn't really care either way! LOL

To put it into perspective for you my six speed manual 63 reg Vauxhall Astra 2.0 CDTi turbo diesel has 165ps and 350Nm of torque. It claims 0-62mph in about 8.4 seconds, and a combined economy of 62.8 MPG (70.6 MPG extra urban, 52.3 MPG urban). In reality however, the max torque is only available over a pitiful 1,750 to 2,500rpm making it quite breathless in gear; and it always seems to lose the 'traffic light grand prix' no matter what's in the other lanes. No matter how gently we drive it, how carefully we accelerate and how lightly the throttle is applied at cruising speed, you're lucky to get 30 to 35 MPG around town and 44 to 48MPG on a run! For reference the Astra does about 1,900rpm at 70mph in 6th (top) gear.

Even then, you'll only see those dizzying heights of 'economy' if you're using the stop/start and being very thoughtful about concentrating a LOT on thinking and planning ahead the whole time you're behind the wheel. I once got 52 MPG by a sheer perfect storm of circumstances (mostly 50mph roadworks on a long motorway run) but never repeated it again. Lately I'm seeing anything between 20 and 28 MPG on short trips around the doors, which makes the Octy 1.4 TSI look positively out of this world for fuel economy!

That's not even counting the annoying DPF making the car run like sludge and needing special trips to empty it out every month or so. Yes, we drive long motorway distances and yes I keep the revs high, but the DPF has a habit of 'coming in' AFTER you've driven 2hrs on the motorway and have arrived back in town on your way home. As such it's constantly needing special trips to empty and wasting fuel just for fun.

So there's an "economical" diesel car with a claimed 20 MPG extra over the Octavia 1.4 TSI, which in reality can't even get within 10 MPG of the Octy's real world economy around town even if you try really hard. On a run the Octy still manages to better it by 5 MPG on average and you don't even have to try - manual or DSG. Don't think I'm just a lead footed idiot either, and it's not the car's fault. My old 1.9 TDI PD Superb Greenline used to give me 55 MPG around town and I'd seen 75 MPG to 79 MPG on long runs regularly. I know how to drive for economy... if the car is capable of it!

You may have guessed I'm eagerly anticipating my new turbo petrol arrival and can't wait to see the back of the bloody Astra. How I've missed my old Superb, and I can't wait to get back into a Skoda. I honestly may actually kiss the thing when it finally arrives! haha Just something to consider next time you feel your petrol Octy is somehow poor on economy. :D  :clap:

Edited by Derv
  • Like 1

I suspect part of the of the problem is that the lack of an 8th gear...

I take your point, but surely it doesn't need an 8th gear, it just needs different spacing? No car needs 8 gears (unless it's a proper off-roader with low ratio options).

I would say that in my manual the gear ratios up to 3rd are OK, but between 3rd and 6th they are far too close together. I'd like to see diesel-like gear ratios on this 1.4TSI, I think motorway economy would be fantastic, but then the marketing guys wouldn't like it as it would blur one of the differentiators in the catalogue.

re an 8th gear - anyone else unable to see the point of first gear in the DSG box?

Can't remember seeing the DSG use 1st Gear, always seems to start in 2nd.  Guess it's needed for steep hill starts or perhaps it's used in sports mode - will have to check out the latter.

I may be taking you too literally here, but I would hardly call getting 45 MPG from an automatic petrol car driving at outside-lane-motorway-speeds (70mph honest officer) to be a 'problem'. In fact I'd consider that rather astonishingly good, especially in something as large as an Octy! The fact you can drop down to 60mph and then get over 60 MPG on a cruise, or else choose to plant your right foot and have rather satisfactory progress available without much of an economy penalty, is even better.

The 'problem' is not so much the lack of an eight gear, but rather one of ratios. As you note, the manual is 'only' six speed but still manages to better the DSG in consumption. That's without a seventh cog let alone an eighth. I suspect the DSG simply doesn't have the taller ratios of the manual box and hence sips more fuel (and/or sits at higher revs) for a given road speed. To be fair, at between 45 and 60 MPG I wouldn't really care either way! LOL

To put it into perspective for you my six speed manual 63 reg Vauxhall Astra 2.0 CDTi turbo diesel has 165ps and 350Nm of torque. It claims 0-62mph in about 8.4 seconds, and a combined economy of 62.8 MPG (70.6 MPG extra urban, 52.3 MPG urban). In reality however, the max torque is only available over a pitiful 1,750 to 2,500rpm making it quite breathless in gear; and it always seems to lose the 'traffic light grand prix' no matter what's in the other lanes. No matter how gently we drive it, how carefully we accelerate and how lightly the throttle is applied at cruising speed, you're lucky to get 30 to 35 MPG around town and 44 to 48MPG on a run! For reference the Astra does about 1,900rpm at 70mph in 6th (top) gear.

Even then, you'll only see those dizzying heights of 'economy' if you're using the stop/start and being very thoughtful about concentrating a LOT on thinking and planning ahead the whole time you're behind the wheel. I once got 52 MPG by a sheer perfect storm of circumstances (mostly 50mph roadworks on a long motorway run) but never repeated it again. Lately I'm seeing anything between 20 and 28 MPG on short trips around the doors, which makes the Octy 1.4 TSI look positively out of this world for fuel economy!

That's not even counting the annoying DPF making the car run like sludge and needing special trips to empty it out every month or so. Yes, we drive long motorway distances and yes I keep the revs high, but the DPF has a habit of 'coming in' AFTER you've driven 2hrs on the motorway and have arrived back in town on your way home. As such it's constantly needing special trips to empty and wasting fuel just for fun.

So there's an "economical" diesel car with a claimed 20 MPG extra over the Octavia 1.4 TSI, which in reality can't even get within 10 MPG of the Octy's real world economy around town even if you try really hard. On a run the Octy still manages to better it by 5 MPG on average and you don't even have to try - manual or DSG. Don't think I'm just a lead footed idiot either, and it's not the car's fault. My old 1.9 TDI PD Superb Greenline used to give me 55 MPG around town and I'd seen 75 MPG to 79 MPG on long runs regularly. I know how to drive for economy... if the car is capable of it!

You may have guessed I'm eagerly anticipating my new turbo petrol arrival and can't wait to see the back of the bloody Astra. How I've missed my old Superb, and I can't wait to get back into a Skoda. I honestly may actually kiss the thing when it finally arrives! haha Just something to consider next time you feel your petrol Octy is somehow poor on economy. :D  :clap:

Derv.  As you say 45MPG at motorway speeds is not bad from an automatic estate, and better than a lot of cars. Interesting that the Astra diesel has such poor real world consumption. Another reason not to buy one!

I guess one thing I have noticed with a petrol engine, after several diesels is that it's fuel consumption is much more sensitive to a heavy right foot than with a diesel.  I just have to learn to be more gentle!  No bad thing these days.  Will also be interesting to see if turning off the AC, now it's got a bit cooler makes any real difference. 

Will report back after say 5K miles.

• Like 1

Will also be interesting to see if turning off the AC, now it's got a bit cooler makes any real difference. 

There seems to be this common misconception that AC is only for summer / when it's warm.  Turning it off may gain you a few mpg, but it will remove the other main benefit which is dehumidifying the air coming into your car, so you will probably end up with the blower on higher and/or the heated screen(s) on more during the winter to stop the car misting up... and thus quickly removing any mpg gain.  Also, your AC system may end up smelling if you leave it turned off for half the year.

So, in summary, just leave the AC turned on all year.

There seems to be this common misconception that AC is only for summer / when it's warm.  Turning it off may gain you a few mpg, but it will remove the other main benefit which is dehumidifying the air coming into your car, so you will probably end up with the blower on higher and/or the heated screen(s) on more during the winter to stop the car misting up... and thus quickly removing any mpg gain.  Also, your AC system may end up smelling if you leave it turned off for half the year.

So, in summary, just leave the AC turned on all year.

I can see your argument regarding de-humidifying the incoming air for certain conditions but it would mean the condenser will be dripping collected water all the time risking build up of slime?

Running the air-conditioner on in winter continuously with recirculated air would mean the condenser moisture would largely be from occupants breath (or worse if people still smoke in cars). Does not sound very healthy to me.

I would have thought it reasonable to turn it off when not required to avoid this although you do have to use it periodically to ensure seals remain lubricated.

Running the air-conditioner on in winter continuously with recirculated air would...

...be a very silly thing to do.  You shouldn't really be recirculating air within the cabin at any time unless the air quality outside is poor.