Drivers don't panic over the death of the tax disc

ColinD

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

The issue with "overlap" and the gov making extra money is not in fact correct. When I purchased my car, which was i think around the 20th of the month, i sat on the side of the road and sorted the tax over the phone, easy enough and drove home. A few days later i got a letter from the DVLA saying the tax i purchased will start on the 1st of the next month.

My old car tax disk which had a month on it went with the car to the crusher. never before have i arsed with getting tax back, but bam a check in the mail, good job i say. 

If they apply the same rules as before, you can apply in the last two working days of a month, for the tax to start on the 1st of the following month. (so you won't have to buy/sell at midnight)

So let's all do our car dealing on the last 2 working days of each month. This will also mean that DVLA will get very busy for a couple of days, then go quiet, which might p**s them off? 

Wouldn't be such an issue if the £'s generated ALL went on the roads. Do the government really think that today's promise of a £15bn investment in road improvements is not going to be seen as a virtual carrot, what with an election coming up and all?

• 2 weeks later...

The fact there will be no visible  evidence of taxation, I am sure many will take the risk of going untaxed . If many take the risk of no insurance and/or M O T, it is obvious  they will now do the same with R F L. and therefore even greater liklihood now on of even more uninsured and non MoT'd vehicles as the owners won't have  to produce evidence of such. This whole new scheme will end in disaster.

I dont like it, it more of a pain when buying a car and before you could sell your car with the tax, now if you sell a car say 4 days into a month youve lost that months money so its a bonus for them.

Also before i used to like seeing the dvla people walking about checking peoples tax discs, if you havent got tax theres a good chance you havent got m.o.t or insurance.

Now they must just be relying on the traffic cops to drive behind every car till their system has scanned the plate.

• 5 weeks later...

"The new keeper must purchase tax for the vehicle if they wish to take it onto a public road and the old keeper will automatically receive a refund on any outstanding full months.”

Roughly translated means that if you sell your car at any time during the month you'll only be reimbursed for the NEXT FULL months, so technically you have still paid the tax for the month you sell the vehicle AND the new owner ALSO has to tax it for that month when he buys it.

Ergo the DVLA and government receive TWO FULL tax payments for the month for every single car that is sold in mainland England and Northern Ireland.

Used car sales have risen to over 9 million per year for the first time in five years;

Average car tax for one month is £160 / 12 = £13.33;

Total unnecessary over payment due to new legislation = Approx. £120,000,000 per year.

They are not stupid over there in Swansea, are they..?

• 2 months later...