Frequent DPF Regen and error code

Hi All,

I feel like my car is regenerating way too often. I scanned the car and got this error

005212 Exhaust Gas Temperature Sensor 3

P145C - 007 Short to ground - intermittent

Any Ideas? An easy fix?

As I posted on the other thread this could be related see :-

http://www.vwaudiforum.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?141120-EML-light-on-and-fault-code-005212-Exhaust-Gas-Temperature-Sensor-3

I don't know for definite - but would hypothesise from the symptoms and code that the sensor is used to confirm that the DPF is up to temp for the regen.

Worth checking the loom first to see if there is damage.

Fix it quick.

If the sensor is confusing the DPF then we all know how vulnerable the DPF's are, especially on older PD engines.

Serach G450, this sensor is a well documented weakness.

monitoring the ash content. 20g so far.... but the mechanic down the road will clean it for me when it fills. I have booked it in for monday, so will maybe do a couple of hundred miles between now and then. when i looked at the temperature post DPF readings on VCDS it read about the same as the one after the turbo, so it must be a loose wire or something at a guess.

• 2 weeks later...

Right had the temperature sensor replaced... no errors. But now I have a couple of G450 errors, its the same one twice strangely?

P0471 - 006 - Implausible signal Intermittent

I am guessing I need to replace the G450 sensor? Can it be cleaned at all?

See my post #4 :D

Depending on how the sensor has failed will affect how the DPF behaves, but yes a dodgy G450 can prompt more frequent regen's, in the same vein it can prevent any regen's.

Remember the new sensor needs configuring using VCDS, it's not simply plug and play.

See my post #4 :D

Depending on how the sensor has failed will affect how the DPF behaves, but yes a dodgy G450 can prompt more frequent regen's, in the same vein it can prevent any regen's.

Remember the new sensor needs configuring using VCDS, it's not simply plug and play.

I have the ross tech page printed and ready to go. I had the DPF light on this weekend again, with 4 failed regens. I took the car for a cruise and the light went out and the car registered a successful regen, but this morning it says 2 failed regens and was trying to regenerate on the way to work. I hadnt done 30 miles!

That sounds like mine, does what it wants at strange times etc. I've logged the miles and date since my last DPF light. Since changing the G450 mine has been on twice, thats once every 7 days so due any day now ! Is the temp sensor you changed easy to replace ?

That sounds like mine, does what it wants at strange times etc. I've logged the miles and date since my last DPF light. Since changing the G450 mine has been on twice, thats once every 7 days so due any day now ! Is the temp sensor you changed easy to replace ?

I didn't change it, I got quoted £20 more to fit it than for the sensor, so i aid the money, saved me time and dirty hands, but the pressure sensor looks so easy i thought id just do it.

So you have done the G450 and its still regenerating lots? Bugger! Are you getting any errors in VCDS?

Yeah , started re-genning again on the way home. 5 days and 127 miles since the last one ! Could you PM me what you have for the adaption ?

Im going by this:

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/2.0L_CR_TDI

Its the CR engine but its got to be similar???

Instructions should be populated in a pop-up balloon when connected to the controller in question with VCDS.

Key ON, Engine OFF

[Coding-2] or [Login-II] button

Enter the code shown in the VCDS pop-up balloon

[Do It!]

Switch Ignition OFF for 30 seconds

After the key is cycled back on the adaptation should be completed. If it is not completed, proceed with the next steps:

These steps must be repeated 5 times.

• Ignition ON
  • Wait 5 seconds
  • Ignition OFF
  • Wait 40 seconds
  • Repeat 4 more times

Note: If a code is NOT shown in the VCDS pop-up balloon registered customers can Join our Forum -or- send the complete Auto-Scan via email with the recent repair history including the part number of the original/removed sensor and the new replacement sensor.

Hi,

This is procedure for the pd engine and should be followed for a new sensor only, I have seen a comment from a tech that used sensors do not respond. You do not need to do a forced regen after replacing the sensor, you just need to adapt the sensor with the ignition on and the engine off.

In VCDS you need to do the following:

[select]
[01 - Engine]
[Coding-II - 11]

• Start Exhaust Pressure Sensor (G450) Adaptation 30605

[Do It!]

Tim

• Like 2

Whitep , few Q's:

1. Does your car ever complete a regen or fail 4 then the DPF light comes on ?

2.how long between regens ?

3.does your car go into limp mode , if so how often ?

4.what figures do you get in measuring block 68 on VCDS ?

So here is the initial figures of mean time between DPF Lights:

1.15-10-14 - On @ 136452 - Out at 136458 (6 mile Re-Gen)

2.21-10-14 - On @ 136576 - Out at 136586 (10 mile Re-Gen)

Total - 6 Days and 118 Miles of DPF issue free driving !!

Re-Gens carried out in 4th on Dual Carriageway as soon as light illuminates (give or take 10 mins/5 miles).

Whitep , few Q's:

1. Does your car ever complete a regen or fail 4 then the DPF light comes on ?

2.how long between regens ?

3.does your car go into limp mode , if so how often ?

4.what figures do you get in measuring block 68 on VCDS ?

1. generally fail 4 times then DPF, then i go for a cruise This morning I drove and drove monitoring the DPF Load co-efficient, I could only get it down to 13.7%

2. 30-50 miles

3. no, never

4. not sure, is that the one with load co-efficient.

I haven't fitted the new sensor yet, I will do that later today when the rain stops. I did notice the load% increases very fast while driving, I am not surprised it regens so often.

Hi,

This is procedure for the pd engine and should be followed for a new sensor only, I have seen a comment from a tech that used sensors do not respond. You do not need to do a forced regen after replacing the sensor, you just need to adapt the sensor with the ignition on and the engine off.

In VCDS you need to do the following:

[select]

[01 - Engine]

[Coding-II - 11]

• Start Exhaust Pressure Sensor (G450) Adaptation 30605

[Do It!]

Tim

Thanks Tim

Yes the co-efficient is the % number which I believe controls the process, we seem to have the exact same issue ! My % goes up rapidly also, I can get it down to about 7%. Be very interested to see how you go !

Right, sensor on... fiddly bugger to get to the pipe clips. Anyway its done.

I triggered the adaptation and took the car for a cruise, about 20 miles or so. I monitored the % and it started dropping as soon as I started the car and was down to under 7% when I returned to work. I imagine this will continue to drop on my way home. I will keep posting reports as we progress.

VrsMule this sounds like as far as you got but then it all started happening again. So I am not all that confident.

Can I ask everyone, there are lots of sensors in the corner of the engine bay near the G450 sensor, are these the exhaust/DPF pressure sensors? If so, they all look mega easy to get to.