Road noise

Hi all

I have an ongoing battle with road noise on my Octavia estate vRS 60 plate. I have now paid for a hunter alignment, I couldn't change the tyres at the time as they were almost new but the noise continued (which I accept), after a long journey this weekend (800 miles) the noise is worse grrr! Has anyone had any luck with soundproofing to loose this noise? I don't want to fork another 200 replacing almost new tyres only to discover the alignment hasn't sorted it.

Please help a despondent vRS owner!!

J

The only time my VRS is reasonably quiet inside is when I have my 16" winter steels on with continental wintercontacts. I have Goodyear F1s on for summer - supposedly one of the quietest tyres and certainly a lot quieter than the abysmal stock continentals, but still noisy.

Pretty much one of those reasons why we paid a lot less for our Octavias than the equivalent Passat or A4...

Mine at quiet up to almost exactly 70mph when they get noisy, take it up to 90 and it gets a 'bit' quieter, just really annoying the noise is at 70 which I am'supposed' to be doing.

The only time my VRS is reasonably quiet inside is when I have my 16" winter steels on with continental wintercontacts.

How much did you pay for a set of steals and the winter tyres ? If you don't mind me askin :)

How much did you pay for a set of steals and the winter tyres ? If you don't mind me askin :)

Not at all!  Got them from mytyres who were almost identical in price to the ebay sellers who offer similar:

Item:  Steel wheels with winter tyres (LK 5 x 112.00 x 57.00) Continental WinterContact TS 850 with kerbing rib BSW 205/55 R16 91H

Skoda OCTAVIA RS COMBI 2.0 TFSI 1Z 1984ccm 147 kW 10.2009-

Amount: 4

Price: £ 121.90

Total VAT included: 487.60 £

Includes 20 % VAT = 81.27 £

Delivery:       39.60 £

Delivery costs amounting to 39.60 £, because 4 you have chosen complete wheels.

------------------------------------------

Total Amount:   527.20 £

------------------------------------------

Additionally, is there a vRS owner in my area against whom I could compare or help me diagnose this? There would be a beer in it :)

I'm not too far from you (Crowthorne). You are welcome to compare mine to yours but I would consider mine pretty noisy too. I've recently had a hunter alignment on mine. I'm also on Dunlop Sportmaxx all round which is rated as one of the quietest tyres. I would be keen to compare my air intake with yours too, I think mine is loose!

From an Aussie perspective,

I had horrific road noise on my MkII Octavia from Goodyear F1s after they had done about 20,000 km.

Replaced with Michelins last week.

The ride is transformed. The noise has all but disappeared.

As already mentioned, the Octavia 11 is not a quiet car.

Tyres obviously make a difference, without any definitive answer. The noise level is affected by amount of wear, whatever the make.

Winter tyres are reportedly quieter, do people use higher profile tyres in winter? as seems fairly common.

One or two members have resorted quietening kits with passable, if not outstanding results.

The main areas tackled are under bonnet, tyre well and boot floor. Followed by the rear wheel arches and under rear seat. Some folk have just used another layer of domestic carpet or underfelt.

Kits often include materials for the doors, but I've yet to hear of anyone using them due to the awkwardness of fitting.

There is an American site (url can't remember) which goes into what might be termed excessive detail, but the info seems solid, ie don't plaster dynamat everywhere.

Noise killer in UK has kits.

It is a noisy car but shouldn't be that bad on new tyres.

Sawtoothing on the rears is harder to spot than you'd think until it gets bad. Might be worth taking one off and having a proper look. If they're not too bad you might get away with swapping front to back.

I tried a cheap bitumen type sound deadening kit, it made a little difference but probably nothing you couldn't achieve with a bit of carpet underlay in the boot.

I switched tires to Goodyear Efficient Grip and they  are quieter and not as expensive as the Michelins.

It's one of the cost savings that Skoda have made over Audi.

Edited by Aspman

As above, it's all down to the tyres.

When i bought my pre-fl vRS a few years ago, it had dunlop sp maxx tyres on it and it was incredibly loud. On my current FL vRS, i've got Eagle F1 asymmetric 2's and it's definitely quieter. Take a look on the black circles website and you can compare the decibel readings for different tyre brands

Does everyone run at the recommended 2.1 front and 2.2 rear?

No

I usually run 36psi (2.5) all round. 34 (2.35) is the minimum I'd chance.

What happens to the noise when you swap F-R?

Have you added extra sound proofing in the luggage area & under the rear seat? If you can't stop the noise then the alternative is to create a barrier between the noise & the occupants. Either bitumen paint in the inner guards, or some sound deadener or additional carpet inside the vehicle