winter tyres & steel wheels. superb 3.6

HI all.

I am looking for info re the above,i have read many posts here and I believe the 17 inch wheel is the direct replacement combined with a winter tyre.

The car will have Sirius bi-colour wheels and I want to protect them as best as possible  during the inclement weather  :rain:  which we will get some time.

Any info greatly appreciated like where to buy them,approx prices,  tyres names etc.

Thanks in advance.

James, as your front brakes are 345mm in diameter you'll need a minimum of 17" wheels for winter. I don't think steel wheels are very commo in this size. I just picked up some Octavia Sport alloys (17") for under £100, you should be able to find some at a reasonable price.

My winters are 16's and will be going on at the end of the month

Only steelies for me though, not alloys

Me too. 16" steel with 205/55 tyres.

But as S400DDS rightly points out 16” wheels will not clear the from brakes on the 3.6L V6, 17” are needed.

But as S400DDS rightly points out 16” wheels will not clear the from brakes on the 3.6L V6, 17” are needed.

Yes, your right.

I missed the 3.6 part in the title when I posted up

HI,many thanks for the assistance.

Just to add some more information,i am after 5 wheels with winter tyres,i mentioned steel wheels as they would be very robust and maybe save me some cash.

I will now consider 18 inch alloy wheels but they need to be very robust/strong so they don't fall apart in potholes/poor roads/off road country tracks etc.

I will be visiting Ireland towards the year end and when I have hired cars there before they have a BIG sign saying "ALL DAMAGE TO ALLOY WHEELS IS CHARGEABLE"  so I have always hired cars with steel wheels there,good idea as the country roads can be very poor during the long winter.

My siris wheels and tyres would not last long there.

Thank you :beer:

• Like 1

Don't go 18", by doing so you have to go with a smaller profile to maintain the same rolling radius which kind of defeats the object of winter wheels. A smaller profile tyre offers reduced resistance to potholes and hidden objects in the snow.

I sourced some cheap 17" Audi TT alloys on eBay for my Avon winter tyres...

IMG_5391_zps917b4cfe.jpg

IMG_5393_zps4dc15f45.jpg

IMG_5394_zpsb9ee5aa0.jpg

IMG_5397_zpsc78c611d.jpg

IMG_5388_zps47887f82.jpg

IMG_5390_zps10c37b76.jpg

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296872-audi-winter-alloy-wheels-fitted-today/

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 2

I will be visiting Ireland towards the year end and when I have hired cars there before they have a BIG sign saying "ALL DAMAGE TO ALLOY WHEELS IS CHARGEABLE" so I have always hired cars with steel wheels there,good idea as the country roads can be very poor during the long winter.

My siris wheels and tyres would not last long there.

Thank you :beer:

Well you're not wrong there! 18" Sirius wheels were certainly not designed for Irish roads so sensible decision on the tyre change if you're driving over here. The 4x4 should be a help though during the winter

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If your looking for a set of decent 17" rims for a Superb V6, this is quite a good offer. They are the official 6Jx17 Skoda Superb Flash alloys in this (very rare) dimension, which is the only 17" dimension which allows snow chains (if combined with 205/50R17 tyres).

Thanks for the tip,its a very good price.

Don't go 18", by doing so you have to go with a smaller profile to maintain the same rolling radius which kind of defeats the object of winter wheels. A smaller profile tyre offers reduced resistance to potholes and hidden objects in the snow.

I sourced some cheap 17" Audi TT alloys on eBay for my Avon winter tyres...

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/296872-audi-winter-alloy-wheels-fitted-today/

I've got a set of 16" Ice Touring ST's to go on OEM Octavia alloys for this winter. Just wondering how you find the Avons (I've a 2WD CR170 rather than a V6 though). I went for the Avons based on wet weather grip rating (I could find nothing on the market better than 'B' rated for any money), acceptable noise (3dB quieter than the Komho summer tyres on it) and being at least €20 per tyre cheaper than anything with a comparable rating.

My Superb is a CR140 so I'm not one of the lucky few with 3.6 V6 lumps under their bonnets either!

I went through the winter of 2012 in a PD170 vRS on 18" summer tyres with no major issues but I knew that I was at the limit of traction on the smaller rural roads I regularly use where the snow and ice was more compacted.

I swapped the Octavia for a Superb last summer and bought the Audi alloys and shod them with the Avon Ice Tourers for last winter - one of the mildest winters ever! :D

So I'm afraid I can't tell you how good they really are but then my driving rarely tests the limits of any tyre. One thing I can say is that I noticed no change in fuel consumption, no change in tyre noise and no change in ride comfort when compared with the summer alloys and tyres.

I'd say the grip was equal to that of my summer tyres in summer which given the low temperatures and standing water through last winter is a good thing?

This is as much snow as they've seen...

Durham-20140212-00552_zps8efb4d2a.jpg

York-20140324-00615_zps37e468cd.jpg

Hi All

Have had a spare set of four 18" Themisto wheels in the garage for a while and am thinking of having them shod with 225/40/18 Ice Touring ST's in readiness for this winter  - my concern though is what do I do about the spare? Is it OK/legal to have a summer tyre in the boot for use in an emergency or am I better off relying on the AA in the unfortunate event that I suffer a puncture to a winter tyre? Thanks

Dave

I doubt if you'll get in any more trouble legally than if you had the spare on with summer tyres. If you use the spare to travel to a puncture repair centre, the chances of being stopped on that one journey are pretty low anyway... Since winter tyres aren't a legal requirement in the UK in the first place, the only thing you could get done for is mismatched tyres on one axle I think...

• 3 weeks later...

18" winter tyres are pretty much useless when the going gets rough , the general rule is drop down to 17" or if possible 16" to get the best results in snow / winter conditions . 

18" winter tyres are pretty much useless when the going gets rough , the general rule is drop down to 17" or if possible 16" to get the best results in snow / winter conditions . 

Hi, That's not been my experience, Have driven BMW's on 19 inch winters in wide fitments with no issues.

Thinking about it, presuming you stay with the same overall profile as the summer boots, there is no difference between a 16 inch/18 winter tyre contact patch.

Check out the following calculator to see what different sizes/rims do to your set up.

http://www.willtheyfit.com/index.php?width=225&aspect=40&diameter=18&wheelwidth=7.5&offset=47&width2=225&aspect2=55&diameter2=16&wheelwidth2=7.5&offset2=48#content

I think the only genuine reason for buying smaller winter wheels and tyres is the cost advantage.

Cheers

Yves

Edited by YvesD