Rear callipers seizing/ replacing

Hey guys, took my vrs combi in for a mini services on Saturday,

Had plugs, all filters and a oil change. Sump dropped and oil pick up cleaned. Then he gave the car a once over. Greased all moving parts underneath for winter.

He said everything was in really good shape, well apart from the drivers side rear calliper sticking/seizing.

Been looking at replacements.

Anybody used these before? 53b3e8d7e7487a0cd6315a8ceae0dc5f.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Edited by jimmy_mack_attack

On my old mkI and our mkI Leon I had the pads sticking in the sliders which lead to them sticking on or jamming and hitting the discs at an angle. Cleaned them up and all was good.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

I think you're all complete mincers for paying out to replace calipers, lol!

Mine have had all the usual mooing / sticking problems when I first bought my vrs 4 years ago. But all I've done is strip and re-build the calipers with plenty of grease, and use a file to file chamfered edges to any new pads I fit.

Hence, over the time I have had the car, I've had no problems with the calipers since.

No point in keep buying new / refurbished units - you need to tackle the root cause yourself, and you'll find that they will be fine.

Ray I do see your point but like I said I did mention the repair kit, so strip down, clean and replace the worn stuff, as I'm not to handy and have to pay a mechanic I took his advice.

Also it's my daily for work and I can't afford for it to be off the road for ages if I attempted it myself.

I think you're all complete mincers for paying out to replace calipers, lol!

Mine have had all the usual mooing / sticking problems when I first bought my vrs 4 years ago. But all I've done is strip and re-build the calipers with plenty of grease, and use a file to file chamfered edges to any new pads I fit.

Hence, over the time I have had the car, I've had no problems with the calipers since.

No point in keep buying new / refurbished units - you need to tackle the root cause yourself, and you'll find that they will be fine.

Agree Ray  there is a way to fix this yourself..... :D

Personally Ray I think you were lucky fixing the issue the way you did, as although you may of helped the fix the real cause is ****e design of the cable return mechanism

The rear hand brake cables that are attached through that bracket cause the caliper return arm  to not completely return back to it's datum position when handbrake is released. 

This then effectively causes slight dragging of the rear pads to the disc. The noise is amplified through the resonance of the rear beam thus sounding worse than it is and sounding like a mooing from a cow on heat  :giggle:

Sound gets worse on colder days. 

VW /Audi and Skoda recognised this and recall occurred in early years under warranty.

The fix by the dealers instead of a full caliper redesign is a swap of the rear caliper cable return bracket for a altered better designed one that has a rubber ring on the back that also acts as a resonance reducer to compensate the rear beam that produces a resonance under braking.  These new kit's  work strangely enough by counter balancing this noise, sometimes not 100% but way better.

Part Number is 1J0 698 998

What can also add to the issue is:

crushed or seized rear handbrake cables (coz garages jack car up on the rear bean where rear cable runs.) A new thicker set of cables can be bought now

Partially or siezed Caliper (in which case a new caliper or refurb)

Also squealing can be effected by certain brake pads 

Along with new cables and a anti squeal kit I have also added VW sharan rear caliper return springs to ensure they return fully home instead of just under the weight of the cables 

can see them here.

[url=http://s257.photobucket.com/user/Bowders1_2008/media/VRS%20Maintainance/VRS%20Rear%20Brake%20springs/2013-07-04205235_zpsc0fba3de.jpg.html]2013-07-04205235_zpsc0fba3de.jpg

So Folks should not just jump at replacing caliper without confirming the cable return system is good, else they will just get same issue with new caliper.

• Like 1

Agree Ray there is a way to fix this yourself..... :D

Personally Ray I think you were lucky fixing the issue the way you did, as although you may of helped the fix the real cause is ****e design of the cable return mechanism

The rear hand brake cables that are attached through that bracket cause the caliper return arm to not completely return back to it's datum position when handbrake is released.

This then effectively causes slight dragging of the rear pads to the disc. The noise is amplified through the resonance of the rear beam thus sounding worse than it is and sounding like a mooing from a cow on heat :giggle:

Sound gets worse on colder days.

VW /Audi and Skoda recognised this and recall occurred in early years under warranty.

The fix by the dealers instead of a full caliper redesign is a swap of the rear caliper cable return bracket for a altered better designed one that has a rubber ring on the back that also acts as a resonance reducer to compensate the rear beam that produces a resonance under braking. These new kit's work strangely enough by counter balancing this noise, sometimes not 100% but way better.

Part Number is 1J0 698 998

What can also add to the issue is:

crushed or seized rear handbrake cables (coz garages jack car up on the rear bean where rear cable runs.) A new thicker set of cables can be bought now

Partially or siezed Caliper (in which case a new caliper or refurb)

Also squealing can be effected by certain brake pads

Along with new cables and a anti squeal kit I have also added VW sharan rear caliper return springs to ensure they return fully home instead of just under the weight of the cables

can see them here.

http://s257.photobucket.com/user/Bowders1_2008/media/VRS%20Maintainance/VRS%20Rear%20Brake%20springs/2013-07-04205235_zpsc0fba3de.jpg.html]2013-07-04205235_zpsc0fba3de.jpg

So Folks should not just jump at replacing caliper without confirming the cable return system is good, else they will just get same issue with new caliper.

Thank you I will share this with my mechanic