HELP! Broken lock & handle.

BB78

I had issues with that gold hoop. Even with the door apart I still struggled for 3 hours to get it to sit properly :(

When putting back together I had to improvise as the little screw kept dropping back in the door!

What's the gold hoop for? I can't see it on the diagram, is it on all the doors or is it something to do with the lock barrel so only on the drivers door?

It's not forecast to rain today so am going to attempt putting the new lock in, got all excited at the prospect of finally being able to put the door back together again & seal the leak but of course I can't until I fix the handle because if it needs a new bracket I'll have to take the damn thing apart again. :'( Fingers crossed the new lock works at least.

What's the gold hoop for?

You turn a screw and the collar rotates to lock the barrel in position. See here how the head of the screw sits in a groove in the collar...

1_U0837885_B.jpg

• Like 2

/\ great picture. Very useful to be able to see.

It's a bit fiddly getting it all in the right position so that it doesn't force itself out when you tighten that screw, especially if you have big hands like me. :p

• Like 1

You turn a screw and the collar rotates to lock the barrel in position. See here how the head of the screw sits in a groove in the collar...

so it's only on the drivers side then cause the passenger side doesn't have a lock. From what I can see my mounting is all black plastic not metal, I think 2 little tabs that poke through & hook on to the exterior of the door have snapped off but I can't get the thumb cover off the rear door to compare & can't find a photo of the mounting bracket from the flip side i.e. as if you are looking at it when it's on the door.

so it's only on the drivers side then cause the passenger side doesn't have a lock. From what I can see my mounting is all black plastic not metal, I think 2 little tabs that poke through & hook on to the exterior of the door have snapped off but I can't get the thumb cover off the rear door to compare & can't find a photo of the mounting bracket from the flip side i.e. as if you are looking at it when it's on the door.

Yeah I think the collar is only on the driver's side for the lock barrel. Don't worry about the metal bracket in the pic, they are mainly plastic. I just posted that as an example.

Figured it out, the bit of the handle that holds the Bowden cable sits inside the black bit on the mounting bracket in the photo, it stops you from pulling the handle out too far & as a result stabilises the exterior handle & holds it on to the door.

Fitted the new lock & SUCCESS the central locking is restored! Reconnected both handles, lock rod in place & working, window glass securely back in so unless I'm forgetting something it's time to test the rivnuts & seal the door.

• Like 1

As feared the rivnuts aren't playing ball. Being female I'm not ruling out lack of strength but I can't get them to bulge enough (oo er missus!) The tool didn't come with any instructions so I've watched a couple of videos on YouTube but I'm not sure I've got it set up right, I've tested it on a couple of washers & although it holds it doesn't look like the end result as in the videos, it could be that they are using aluminium rivnuts & I'm using steel which is harder to compress but can anyone give me some pointers on how to set the tool up?

Thinking about it I'm not sure I've got the right size rivnuts, I've got M4 short flat heads for material thicknesses 0.25 to 3mm, the description said suitable for a 7mm diameter hole but I think they might be too short, too narrow or both. Has anyone put the door back together using rivnuts & if so what size did you use?

No I got rivnuts or nutserts because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to fit the rivets, didn't know how much strength was required as the rivets are quite beefy. The tool & rivnuts look like this...

post-32018-0-91215200-1414442222_thumb.jpg

That's no good I'm afraid. What I have pictured is what you need.

Get the rivets from a Dealer (or a dealer on eBay like I did) and use the corrects tool.

Alternatively, others have not used he proper rivets to put it back together, but I can't remember what their solutikns was so you'll need to search it out of you choose to go down that route.

No I got rivnuts or nutserts because I wasn't sure if I'd be able to fit the rivets, didn't know how much strength was required as the rivets are quite beefy. The tool & rivnuts look like this...

attachicon.gifimage.jpg

There's probably a knack to it. Such as loosening the tool that you can apply maximum pressure, then tightening it a bit at a time until they pop erm... on. OTOH, get a 3rd and 4th hand with a G clamp or similar and apply pressure to the tool.

• Like 1

Spoke to the very nice rivnut man & the M4's are too small, ordered M5 Long Steel Flat Head's instead which should fit better & they clamp material thicknesses of 3-5mm so should do the job.

Turns out I was getting the M4's to crimp properly on my test pieces, it's purely that they don't bulge as much as I was expecting them to.

Next dry day after the M5's are delivered I will hopefully be done & dusted with the passenger door. :)

Have I just tempted fate or what?!

The rivet gun I pictured above can be bought on Evay for around 15/20 quid.

The problem with using the proper rivets is I don't think I'll be able to put them in, I'm not saying I'm a feeble female but with a busted shoulder I don't think I've got the necessary strength & I don't have anyone I can ask for help.

I got the M5 rivnuts & I still can't get them to work. :( I'm going to have one last go today & if they don't go in I'm leaving it as it is, putting the door card on & forgetting about it. The central locking works so it won't fail its MOT, I love my car but right now I'm sick to death of it!

• 3 months later...

Sorry to revive an old thread but with regards to the gold clip thing i just cant get it to stay in place once i put the barrel in through the outside of the door. I fit the gold clip as it should be, all tight and secure but as soon as the barrel goes in it just pops straight back off and falls down the door. I tried for over an hour yesterday. Is there some sort of knack to it or am i missing something.

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sorry to revive an old thread but with regards to the gold clip thing i just cant get it to stay in place once i put the barrel in through the outside of the door. I fit the gold clip as it should be, all tight and secure but as soon as the barrel goes in it just pops straight back off and falls down the door. I tried for over an hour yesterday. Is there some sort of knack to it or am i missing something.

Thanks

Do you mean the gold circular thing inside the door itself?

Yeah thats the droid....PITA to fit, so much so i've left it off at the moment.

Yah that took me ages to work out why It kept falling out of position!

It's all to do the with position of the screw that you turn from the edge of the door, if that makes sense?!

You need to adjust that screw in such a way that allows the gold ring to sit in its position and doesn't get pushed out as you continue to turn the screw. Hard to describe!

I would start with the screw fairly close to the tightened position and place he gold ring in it's place and begin to tighten.

Good luck :)

Yah that took me ages to work out why It kept falling out of position!

It's all to do the with position of the screw that you turn from the edge of the door, if that makes sense?!

You need to adjust that screw in such a way that allows the gold ring to sit in its position and doesn't get pushed out as you continue to turn the screw. Hard to describe!

I would start with the screw fairly close to the tightened position and place he gold ring in it's place and begin to tighten.

Good luck :)

I thought you only tighten the screw once the barrel is in place as the barrel has a tiny recess for the screw to sit in.  Putting the barrel in place knocks the gold clip out of position.  And you only put the barrel in place once you've got the locking mech in place so trying to get a hand in there is impossible.

I thought you only tighten the screw once the barrel is in place as the barrel has a tiny recess for the screw to sit in.  Putting the barrel in place knocks the gold clip out of position.  And you only put the barrel in place once you've got the locking mech in place so trying to get a hand in there is impossible.

Does the gold ring drop when you tighten that screw? If so, you've over loosened that screw like I did and that's your issue.

Ive unwound the screw just enough to let the barrel out (i pull the barrel whilst unscrewing so it is literally just enough). The gold ring has already popped off before i can tighten the screw, it pops off as soon as i reinsert the barrel before i get a chance to tighten the screw.

Have you got the metal panel inside the door off? If so, take a look once you have the gold ring in place and are putting the barrel in. You will Probably see the the screw that you tighten has a disc at the end of it pushes against the gold ring as you put the barrel in and dislodges it.

It took me nearly two days to realise this despite me thinking that the screw was only out a little and it was more than enough to stop it all lining up properly. Once I screwed it in more it all mated up and the ring stayed in place.

If you meant the regulator plate then its back on at the moment but its easy enough to remove, takes me all of 5 mins now as i've done it so many time.

That does make sense but what I'm saying is that the screw is undone just enough to allow the barrel to come out, if i put the gold ring on and tighten the screw a little i don't think i'll be able to get the barrel back in, plus i'll have the door locking mech in the way when i refit the barrel so won't be able to get my hand in there to push it back into place.

Thanks for your help btw  :thumbup: