1.8Tsi high Oil Consumption

I have an 11 plate Octavia Scout 1.8Tsi, 55,000 miles driven and in the last 3 months the oil consumption is running at 1L per 500 to 600 miles and seems to have kicked in very quickly. Before this I probably used a litre every 5000 miles.

I do a combination of very short runs where the engine hardly gets warm and also long runs of 100+ miles, so it is varied and always have done since new..

I do not seem to have blue smoke pouring out of the exhaust (have been followed by someone checking over a 10 mile run), it doesn't seem to be losing it as the undertray seems absolutely dry and at this rate I would expect it to be sloshing about if it was a leak or all over the engine bay.

Engine runs nice and smoothly, but has always been what I call noisy (rather like a tappet noise or the noise from the very old single injector engines), which the local garage have always said is normal.

I am waiting for a call back from the dealer, but past experience suggests that even if there were 100's of reports on the internet, with a common solution, I would still have that "never seen this before" response.

Has anyone else experienced this high level of oil consumption and what was the solution?

Paul

As a long shot - could it be the type of oil? I've recently gone to mobil 1 504/507 and it's definately using more of that than in the past (nothing like your consumption though).

The only other thing I can think of is either your PCV assembly has failed or under the rocker cover there are a series of plastic galleries glued to the underside of the cover. The glue fails & this causes a huge increase in oil consumption.

Visited the dealer yesterday and it seems the turbo seals are leaking oil into the intercooler / engine..

They have started the standard check for oil consumption, however, it looks like until the turbo is replaced (I am told you cant simply replace the seals) it it will not give any meaningful results.

Will have to ask about the rocker cover comments,

Paul