Thinking of swapping VRS TDi for L&K TDi - Thoughts?

Hi All,

In January I bought a 2007 Octavia VRS Estate TDi (PD of course) . I bought this because it has all the spec I want, ceiling mounted DVD, Xenons, 18" wheels, detachable swan neck Tow bar, Sat Nav, Cruise Control, Raised Boot Floor, Climate Control, Maxidot, Sunset Glass and is in the ever so cool Black Magic, but i have come to realize that my journey to work is just not suitable for a car with a DPF. I do 20 miles in slow or stationary traffic twice a day, and only occasionally blow the cobwebs out of it.

Now I previously had a MK1 L&K, which I loved. It had everything I wanted and some. but it was only a 110 and I wanted more power hence the VRS. Im guessing the VRS at 98k is worth what £5500 or so? do you guys think I can get a 2007 or newer L&K TDI 140 with the same-ish spec for similar money? The intention would be to re-map to 170 straight away of course.

I'm thinking the L&K would have no DPF and softer suspension, and smaller wheels for a softer, quieter ride too?

Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.

What about a 1.8 TSI L&K? No DPF issues and probably as quick and faster when remapped.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yes I am tempted back to Petrol, but I do many holidays a year, totting up to about 20k miles a year. So need a Diesel really. But then again at the right price I would be tempted.

What a shame you are thinking about this now -- a couple of weeks ago I was selling this for a friend.....

http://www.briskoda.net/forums/topic/329320-for-sale-octavia-laurin-klement-diesel-dsg-automatic/

Would have been ideal for you.

You'll certainly go up on the comfort stakes with an L&K

Mike

Mmm yeah, nice car. I miss my L&K

The 17's on my L&K make the ride a bit harsh to be honest, my mk1 L&K was a smoother ride

Mine has 16's and they make the ride considerably smoother compared to 17's

Don't think the l&k will be any quieter as its got no extra sound roofing, its basically a normal octavia with lots of kit thrown at it and nothing that special. Why not get your dpf removed instead as you have a good spec vrs already?

Maybe, but the OP also wants a softer ride. Don't the vrs models have lower ride height and consequently stiffer suspension? Also the large tyres on the vrs must create more road noise compared to standard tyres, not to mention the harsh ride compared to 16 or 17 inch wheels.    

My Octavia 2 L&K has the Pegasus alloys upgrade from factory, and this come with sports suspension - which I would guess is similar to the vRS suspension.

It certainly handles very well, BUT the ride is quite firm, quite 'vRS like'. If you go for an L&K (assuming its a pre-FL) for the softer ride get one with 16's as I think it will be a bit smoother. Personally I think the 16's look cr*p on the L&K and so I have taken the trade off of a harder ride, but I think the Pegasus alloys look much nicer.

You will definitely be better with an L&K with no DPF, and a remap if that's what you need.

If you go for an L&K (assuming its a pre-FL) for the softer ride get one with 16's as I think it will be a bit smoother. 

I've experienced both, and the 16's are considerably smoother than the 17's......more than you'd think. 

Personally I think the 16's look cr*p on the L&K 

I don't think they look much different to 17's......18's or 19's maybe. But who cares, you don't see them when you're driving! 

My L&K came with the 17" Pegasus wheels. After the mk1 on 15"s it seemed quite crashy and harsh.

When one of the front springs broke, we found out the ones with factory fit 17" wheels came fitted with sports suspension - ie slightly lower, and quite a bit more expensive.

The mrs wanted the L&K for all the toys that she no longer plays with. It has turned out to be a decent car once the brakes (312mm VRS type), handling (Whiteline RARB, ALK bushes, alignment) and a remap (Shark) were sorted.

If I was told I couldn't do these mods, then I'd seriously think twice.

The leather seats are holding up better than the fabric ones. But are a bit hot after sitting in the sun in the south of France (perhaps more tint in the rear? as the climate is not particularly strong either). They also strike a bit cold in winter, but the mrs uses the heaters, I just man up.

Other than the potential future problems with the gizmos/electronics - but none so far - and the any/all Octavia model wind, road and mechanical noise, its a car which suits my needs.

If you just want a bit of a softer ride you could fit 17s on and see if that helps.

It's not just the softer ride, its the DPF in traffic, country roads etc. Its just not suited. If I was driving up motorways and a roads it would be fine, but I am not.

I read what Nick has said above and like it, it sounds just like what I have planned. I need to see and drive an L&K with 16" and 17" wheels and see what I think personally. I'm not too worried about looks, I sit in the car after all. But there is a small vain part of me who does care about that too.

It's not just the softer ride, its the DPF in traffic, country roads etc. Its just not suited. If I was driving up motorways and a roads it would be fine, but I am not.

I read what Nick has said above and like it, it sounds just like what I have planned. I need to see and drive an L&K with 16" and 17" wheels and see what I think personally. I'm not too worried about looks, I sit in the car after all. But there is a small vain part of me who does care about that too.

Then I would have a good look at the 1.8TSi its a cracking motor.

I ran one for 2 years and just under 100k and around town it gave mid to high 30s and on a steady run mid to high 40s mpg. 

My L&K came with the 17" Pegasus wheels. After the mk1 on 15"s it seemed quite crashy and harsh.

When one of the front springs broke, we found out the ones with factory fit 17" wheels came fitted with sports suspension - ie slightly lower, and quite a bit more expensive.

The mrs wanted the L&K for all the toys that she no longer plays with. It has turned out to be a decent car once the brakes (312mm VRS type), handling (Whiteline RARB, ALK bushes, alignment) and a remap (Shark) were sorted.

If I was told I couldn't do these mods, then I'd seriously think twice.

The leather seats are holding up better than the fabric ones. But are a bit hot after sitting in the sun in the south of France (perhaps more tint in the rear? as the climate is not particularly strong either). They also strike a bit cold in winter, but the mrs uses the heaters, I just man up.

Other than the potential future problems with the gizmos/electronics - but none so far - and the any/all Octavia model wind, road and mechanical noise, its a car which suits my needs.

Isnt this why its got heated seats?

I've experienced both, and the 16's are considerably smoother than the 17's......more than you'd think. 

I don't think they look much different to 17's......18's or 19's maybe. But who cares, you don't see them when you're driving! 

I dont agree, i think the 16's fitted to the Elegance are seriously dull looking wheels and think the L&K should have something different to the Elegance.

I am sure they are a lot more comfortable, particularly as the 17 Pegasus's have sports suspension.

As for looks I know the vRS with the factory 18's looks a hell of a lot smarter than the early ones with the smaller alloys.

Bigger wheels generally look a lot better than small ones.

Isnt this why its got heated seats?

I think they are fitted so salespersons can point it out in the brochure.

It only seems cold for a few seconds. Which is why I wrote "strike cold" not "are cold".

I don't like a hot bum, being well insulated.

YMMV.

I think they are fitted so salespersons can point it out in the brochure.

It only seems cold for a few seconds. Which is why I wrote "strike cold" not "are cold".

I don't like a hot bum, being well insulated.

YMMV.

My old L&K's heated seats were really nice in the depths of winter, but on semi cold days, it just felt like I needed my nappy changing!

• Like 1