towbar bottoming

Hi all,I wonder if anyone else has this problem.

I bought a 2010 1.6td octavia combi a few months back and it had a Witter removeable towbar fitted.

A couple of times I've noticed that, when I've had passengers in the back it has grounded slightly when going over speedbumps, even at low (20mph) speeds.

On Sunday I returned from France towing a small trailer (500kgs) and  a bootfull of luggage.

When leaving the ferry at Dover, even though I was only doing about 10mph there was an almighty bang as the towbar grounded on the ramp. Frightened the life out of me.

Yesterday, after I had unloaded everything and removed the towbar there were signs of previous grounding on the underside of the towbar and also the electric socket.

I measured the gap between the towbar and the road and it was about 7 inches and the socket was about 6 inches.

I'm just wondering if anyone else has this problem and if there is anything I can do to solve it.

I was thinking about these rubber inserts you can get to fit on the rear springs.

Any help or advice will be most welcome.

The Octavia is renowned for being softly sprung on the rear. Load up the boot, add a few rear passengers and sling a swan neck towbar off the back and you'll be kissing the ground more often than you'd like. 

This is my Witter detachable, albeit on the higher 4x4 Scout model, I have manahed to ground mine a few times...

DSC06098.jpg

IMG_12975.jpg

Even when towing a tiny trailer...

Trailer.jpg

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. silver 1011. I was beginning to think I had a problem with the rear suspension so at least that's one less worry.

I would be interested to know if anyone has tried the rubber inserts on the rear coil springs or any other aid.

Thanks again.

I have the same problem. I have fitted the rubbers in the rear coil springs, and it has helped slightly but I still have to crawl down the ferry ramp or over speed humps.

This is with two people in the front seats no one in the back and only  a bicycle rack with 2 bikes on the rear.

Hi,  Yes mines the same. I have a Witter detatchable towball and pull a caravan with my Octavia hatch. I have to go down a narrow lane with speed bumps and when fully loaded I have to stop and crawl very slowly over the bumps or it bottoms out with a loud bang and I get an earful from  wifey. The electric socket is ok.  Seems we are call in the same boat. Thought it was just me and not seen it mentioned before so thanks for your post. Happy towing ! :sun:

I got a mk2 vrs with detatchable tow bar and i put it on to tow my caravan got to my mams fine and took the caravan off tgen went home. Have to go over speed bumps and i jumped out if my skin when my tow bar hit the speed bump lol.

I had no passengers but had tools in my boot