what makes a car a greenline?

So, i was looking at the front of the my mk1 octavia the other day, and noticed that it had both lower and upper centre grills, and the left grill was blocked (i presume the intercooler is behind the right one)

This made me wonder what body differences cars had to make them a greenline (or a bluemotion?)

I remember the original golf and polo bluemotion had their upper grills blocked off, and spoilers on the rear windows - would it be possible to do something like this on the octavia without overheating the car?  The should be enough cooling comming through the lower grill so would blocking the upper grill get me more mpg?

Just wondering!

Edited by sebring

Greenlines/Bluemotions tend to have aerodynamic tweaks:

Blocked off grills

Spoilers

Undertrays

Lowered suspension

Narrower/low rolling resistance tyres

Oh and if its standard your car won't have an intercooler at the front, that's the radiator. The intercooler will be in the bumper just in front of the drivers side wheel.

You can get pre-made grill blocks etc from europe, where they fit them during the colder months to help retain engine heat.

Mine has had various mods for power etc but I also spent some time chasing economy as I was travelling up to 30k miles a year at one stage so every 1mpg helped.

I am running on 15" forged alloys and 195 tyres so slightly narrower and 25% lighter, 30lbs vs 40lbs

Removed mudguards all round.

Taped lower grill

Full engine under tray as the 1.8 only gets the front bit

Car is kept clean and clayed occasionally as any drag has a negative effect on mpg

I would love to get the underneath at the rear smoothed out and a diffuser as it does cause a lot of the cars total drag area

A badge that reads "greenwash" on the boot lid? :D

More helpfully, when you're starting with a TDi, and have a full undertray, about all you can do is fit the 195/65R15 steels (presumes car is Elegance or L&K spec).

Edited by KenONeill

ok - ive done some research and i can get the heko winter grill covers for the mk1 for £30 each - i can have delivered to my home address, and send on for postage costs if anyone is interested