Intake temps

Duct fits fine :)

Ohh cheers, I'll probably pop it on if that's the case.

And you can leave the bumper on altho i suspect its to late now lol

And yes it is haha its by the back door. It did make life easier with the way a couple of jubilee clips were positioned, the bottom cooler bolt and getting the new one in place. I'm putting the jubilee clips in question back on in a more sensible position where the screws aren't down in the crud - one had ceased and was in a right state. Hopefully the Mrs will be out of bed soon and I can get it done before she buggers off out for lunch.

I still haven't bought one yet. Ive been told Santa is coming soon!! I really need to pull my finger out.

He's bringing me a Whiteline rarb, gonna need a bigger stocking.

Anyway, SIT REP:

All back together now, duct does indeed fit back on, had to give the new hose a bit more of a trim but all good.

Took it out round the lanes round my house, got a nice circuit lol. Had to be a bit careful as its wet but still did the kinds of things you cant do with the Mrs in the car. A lot of heavy pulsing and lifting with the throttle, did a few laps, could smell the heat, and all I can say (without the figures) is there was no loss or fade in power delivery! My map is pretty effective at keeping the boost going quite high in the rev range and it may be slightly more effective mow. I think the higher capacity of the cooler has helped the map (which is a 220bhp/350nms elite stage 1 performance map) work at full potential, may have even released a horse or 2. To be honest I wasn't finding power loss or heatsoak an issue but then I don't drive hard for too long when I do, I was seeing this as more of a preventative measure and a step towards fulfilling the set ups potential, and it seems to have done the job! Will see how it goes over the next week, but all told for a £50 mod I'd recommend it.

Need to get yellow car on a set of rollers soon...

Shout going out to Brown Barge and Essexocty for their previous experience and suggestion, seems like a good move to me, still don't know why the Octy one is smaller, strangeness

• Like 2

Great update buddy I really am gonna have to get my s$#t together. Out of interest, what made you think you couldnt get the duct on. Was it difficult to fit or did you not try?

Yeah get it sorted lol, its gota be worth it. To be honest I hadn't tried at that point, its just I'd had a fiddly day with ceased screws, rotten clips and a hose that was too long and wasn't sure I could be bothered with another minor complication. Anyhoo, as it goes it was fine. Its a tight, snug fit with the standard one so just thought the extra depth might mean it gets a bit squashed or creased, but nah, all good.

I'll just add as well advantage of buying new even if not VAG means there's no draggy oil inside (at least for a while), probably worth doing the silicone hose as well, got a nice constant diameter, less restrictive and more robust. Creative motorsports I got mine from, can get some hoses individually, quite reasonable too (still silly money for what they are mind).

Sure I'll post up when I get to the laptop, first words of the listing was 'new intercooler vw bora 98-05, golf iv, Skoda Octavia' and dispatched from Hastings, imported from some German makers, might keep you going for now, £49.00 buy it now they are.

I've just done a quick search on this seller and its not too good tbh. Lots of negative reviews. The guy is Peter Rothenbacher (prothe). Claiming oem quality but its cheap chinese parts. Lots of discussions on the vw forums. Yellowcar I hope its ok for you.

Oh right, well fingers crossed, if it was anything other than an intercooler I'd be worried, but it fits, its larger and the holes are in the right places, and it looks right, so hopefully it will be ok. Time will tell...

Oh right, well fingers crossed, if it was anything other than an intercooler I'd be worried, but it fits, its larger and the holes are in the right places, and it looks right, so hopefully it will be ok. Time will tell...

Yeah its an intercooler so it can't cause any harm. The issues seem to be with major engine components.

Yeah its an intercooler so it can't cause any harm. The issues seem to be with major engine components.

Yeah there's no moving or electrical parts, I mean sure it's not VAG build quality but I didn't expect it to be, the fins are quite soft for example, but hey, its on there now out of harms way. Ran well again this morning, although the roads were very cold and greasy!

Right. Quick update. I bought a second hand one off ebay. It already has the map sensor so will this be ok to use? Also it looks very oily inside so whats the best way to give it a clean before fitting? Last thing, i didn't expect it to be perfect its second hand but some of the fins are a bit damaged on one side. Will this be a problem? I tried to post a piccy up but can't at the moment.

Right. Quick update. I bought a second hand one off ebay. It already has the map sensor so will this be ok to use? Also it looks very oily inside so whats the best way to give it a clean before fitting? Last thing, i didn't expect it to be perfect its second hand but some of the fins are a bit damaged on one side. Will this be a problem? I tried to post a piccy up but can't at the moment.

MAP should be ok, as long as it's still on form I guess.  If it were me I'd try and swap mine into it (as long as the screws aren't as ceased as mine were lol) just for peace of mind knowing mine works.  Confession time as well, as I was fitting mine a few bunches of fins got squashed, I got a tiny flathead and gently and very carefully prized them open and back into back shape, it was confirmed by my mate (an excellent mechanic in my local garage) that this will be fine.  If a few are very very squashed I wouldn't worry too much if you've opened the majority out.  Someone may correct me but it looks in the pic as a lot of those aren't too bad and can be opened up a bit.

As for the oil I don't know, never had to do it.

Anyway, good luck with the fit and enjoy, let us know how you get on.  Mine seems to have settled in very well to the car's system, have to be careful with full throttle now it's greasy out there, its pulling very well through the range, I'm sure it's allowed my map to run at full potential.

Cheers buddy. My son is going to take it to work tomorrow and see if he can somehow test it for leaks. Overall it looks in decent condition just the fins. I can't get it on the car until the weekend so I'll update then hopefully.

Cool, yeah if there's no leaks and you can prize some fins open and reshape them should be good to go!  Will probably be ok as is, but opening them a bit will just help maximise its efficiency I suppose. 

Right this is very odd. To say I'm annoyed is understating it. Stripped out the headlight, arch liner etc, took the intercooler out only to find its exactly the same one p/n ending in F. Same size everything. So the question is, has someone done this mod before me or are the other ones ending in S the wrong ones. Just to add though, the clips for the boost pipes were jubilee ones. Not sure what type are the standard ones.