Skoda Fabia II 2008 - Gearbox replacement

ORM

Hi all, 

Sad news today as I took my Fabia 1.4 diesel to the Skoda center to check out a gear oil leak thats been apparent for the last couple months. Originally they thought this was end plate and gasket but when they took it off to replace they noticed that there is a crack in the gearbox casing. 

They've quoted me £1110 to remove, strip and replace the gear box, and that's not even including any possible damage that may be internal!

He recommended that a cheaper method of repairing this would be to buy a second hand gear box and just pay for labour on the replacement. I've been looking around and am finding it difficult to find a Fabia II (2008) diesel gear box in good condition. This may be a stupid question but would it be acceptable to put a petrol gearbox in there from the petrol equivalent model or would the gearing be all wrong? I've got a mate willing to replace for £120 but trying to find the part is proving difficult!

Would appreciate any knowledge/advice!

Many thanks, 

ORM

That's unfortunate. However, the petrol engine gearboxes are incompatible with your diesel engine. You must find an exact replacement. It's rare to get a problem like this with a gearbox casting cracking. Not heard of this on any Skoda to date so your's is my first. I'd have thought it's worth while getting a quote from your dealer about a recon factory unit. They can work out a bit less money than a rebuild sometimes. But I have no idea on your car if that would be the case. Good luck. 

Thanks for the advice. Trying to find a gearbox with a code of 'JCZ' as this is apparently the exact replacement. I think it is also a bit odd, the technician who noted it mentioned that it may of been in a minor bump before as he said its not usual for this to happen. Unfortunately nothing in the HPI check when I bought the car!

Am going to try get quotes for a reconditioned factory unit, if not then itll have to be a second hand one from a breakers, Will keep you updated!

Thanks again for the help.