multiple VRS question

Hey guys thought here would be the best place to voice my worries/question on the skoda fabia vrs i am about to purchase that i will shoot right into 

1st question, I've done a lot of research on these cars and discovered that all cars 2011 downwards have a CAVE engine and all 2012 + have a CTHE engine's now off of what I've read CAVE engines are to be kept well clear off due to weaker pistons, longer spark plugs and a faulty water pump that seems to fail , am i right in thinking that the CTHE is a revised version of the CAVE will all the bumps and bruises sorted out and a uprated ECU? 

i ask this because the colour of car i want doesn't seem to be in production post 2011 which is really starting to annoy me 

post-121508-0-57213400-1415300659_thumb.jpg

post-121508-0-22794400-1415300669_thumb.jpg

First picture is the 2011 model VRS

while the second picture is a 2014 model vrs 

i seem to notice a colour shade change? are skoda not using the standard red on post 2011 cars ? as i prefer the 2011 model 

2nd question when i go into the dealership what kind of question would you recommend i ask, i was thinking oil consumption question's / spark plugs been changed to new spec plugs engine rebuild ? 

3rd and final question is ECU related my friend at work just purchased a vrs on my merit that they where awesome (he's impressed) just wondering as he went to try and get it remapped and i told him these new ECU'S where security protected and couldn't be remapped which the remmapper found out the hard way after hours of messing around, in a nutshell I'm just wondering are these products really good - http://www.tmcmotorsport.com/TuningBoxDetails.aspx?SID=3264096874 ? and do they work on CTHE engines / ECU'S? and finally can the ECU tell that there is a tuning box in place and log data which in turn would void warranty ? any other tuning boxes that you think are good would be nice to be linked to also , thanks guys :) 

1, CTHE is supposed to have sorted out the problems of the CAVE engine but in reality its hit and miss, good and bad for both so its a lottery although you have better chances of getting a good one than winning the lottery

2, id ask skoda uk rather than the dealer, ask the dealer and itll have been one carefull old lady that owned it, only went shopping and never ever red lined it, rule number 1 NEVER trust a dealer

3, TMC seem to get good reports and a few on here swear by them

• Like 1

First on the Colours.

The Rio Red is Metallic. & a recent option.

Solid Red has been available 2010- 2014 'Corrida Red'.

Rio Red late 2013-2014

(maybe not many Solid Red vRS around in the last 2 years because people did not buy that colour,

there are a few Red Estates around that were built in the past 2 years.)

All cars after Late 2012 do not automatically have a CTHE engine,

so it needs to be built late 2012,

but take care a car was not a CAVE that had not been First Registered in the UK after October,

but built in July/Aug/Sept 2012

The Water Pump is not one of the issues you need to worry about.

A 2010-2012 CAVE can have a good engine, or a good replacement engine and be a bargain.

But you really need a Valid Warranty, an Extended Warranty

& that means one that was not previously re-mapped.

PS

There are no new spec plugs.

You maybe just want to be sure the Spark Plugs are replaced @ 25,000 miles,

before you buy the car.

Or have them checked and fit new plugs.

Ask Skoda UK Customer Services or a Skoda Dealership on the Service and Warranty History,

& as a Skoda Dealer to be sure the latest Skoda Software is on the ECU before you buy from them.

If it is a 1.4TSI CAVE you are buying.

Edited by goneoffSKi

I'd be very nervous about anything that increases fueling to either of these engines.

There are a good few of us running with these sorts of boxes fitted, Tmc and bluespark mostly, with no problems.

The op has obviously done his research and is aware of the issues some of these motors have had so no doubt will make an informed decision as to which he buys. Theres no need to scaremonger. Most of the cars with engine issues have been highlighted and sorted when under warrenty anyway.

• Like 1

I see that tonight on Autotrader there is only one vRS under 2 years old in Solid Red.

a 63 Plate.

& a Demo car in Rio Red.

vrskeith is good at finding cars on the Skoda Used list.

He might be along with some examples if there are any on offer.

Some amazing bargains to be had in 14 & 64 plate cars.

I had a very good CAVE engined car, did 50k in it, with a TMC box (200bhp) on most of the time, it didn't use oil.... only warrenty in that time was a track rod end (slight knock)  great car.

I now have a CTHE car (30k) very good, as fast standard as a TMC CAVE in my opinion, a GOOD engine upgrade, uses about 1 litre every 5k in oil, not a big issue, (more than the CAVE car! pmsl) ate some spark plugs ,(got some BRK7's to go in for next years track season!)  but in definition (I have done some track mods, springs ,ARB, tyres, brakes) and its the best car I have ever owned. Maybe a keeper this one!

as the mad monk said, its a bit hit and miss, but generally the CTHE are more reliable, but there are very many GOOD CAVE engined cars...

if buying second hand I would call the previous owner ;)

Thanks everyone  :D  :D  :D  so from what i can gather the CTHE is faster than the CAVE engine as standard ? just wondering how i find out what engine is in the car ill be looking at ? and does anyone have a TMC box on a CTHE ? what kind of gains are to be had ? :)

Have you driven one yet?

Drive the cars you are considering and see how fast they feel or how that gear box feels.

They are not all the same.

If in doubt about a late 2012 car you look at the V5 and the engine code will show CAVE or CTHE.

There are a few CTHE owners with Bluespark tuning boxes on,

and the power is no more than a CAVE with a TMC Tuning box.

There are a few threads on here if you search or do a google.

Edited by goneoffSKi

There are a good few of us running with these sorts of boxes fitted, Tmc and bluespark mostly, with no problems.

The op has obviously done his research and is aware of the issues some of these motors have had so no doubt will make an informed decision as to which he buys. Theres no need to scaremonger. Most of the cars with engine issues have been highlighted and sorted when under warrenty anyway.

Whilst this I'm sure is true and the failure rates 'within tollerance', the cause of the failures of the CAVE engines have been related to bore-wash based on what I have read. So the injector design is presumably close to its limits in terms of achieving proper atomisation - I think I read that the CTHE has revised injectors?