Bizarre Pid issue

MikeW

My PID died the other day so i took it into the dealers. (wouldn't even show up when i pressed "media" on the stereo and was totally dead)

They now inform me that it's working again.

So, it would appear that my car may have lost the ability to recognise the pid.

Any ideas?

Sounds daft but did you actually turn it off properly when removing it from the car? because they actually go in to standby mode when removed, that's if you remove it, some don't.

They can take some waking up when the battery has expired, hence they will not repond until they have been fitted back in the car for a few minutes.

Guess how I found this out. :p

• Like 2

Sounds daft but did you actually turn it off properly when removing it from the car? because they actually go in to standby mode when removed, that's if you remove it, some don't.

They can take some waking up when the battery has expired, hence they will not repond until they have been fitted back in the car for a few minutes.

Guess how I found this out. :p

So, what happened with you pid then if you don't mind me asking?

To answer the OP as nbjubilee says it can take some waking up for it to find it's location etc.

I had mine for around 12 months and used it frequently over that period but then not so much use after that. So once after it had lay in a drawer at home for around 6 weeks I fetched it out to use. I connected it to the computer to upload stuff on the SD card and charge it. It was completely flat and the computer charge via USB wouldn't wake it up, even after 20 mins or so charge. Anyway putting it in the car and firing it up took a while whilst it recovered and gained a little power from the cars electrics etc.

The reason it was completely flat would be when removed from the car it goes into standby mode, unless you press the option to switch off, I hadn't been doing that so it's still effectively on. So make sure you switch off completely if not using again that day.

I find the PID gets gradually more and more sluggish until I do a software update check. Even though no updates are found it must be storing cache internally which gets uploaded to mothership when I plug it into my computer, after which it is always back up to speed again.

Edited by ballboy
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I find the PID gets gradually more and more sluggish until I do a software update check. Even though no updates are found it must be storing cache internally which gets uploaded to mothership when I plug it into my computer, after which it is always back up to speed again.

That's interesting. My Car was an ex-demo, so i got no accessories with the pid, so i'm unable to plug it into the computer unfortunately. I do not have a lead that fits.

That's interesting. My Car was an ex-demo, so i got no accessories with the pid, so i'm unable to plug it into the computer unfortunately. I do not have a lead that fits.

I'd contact your dealer and ask for a free lead. That isn't on.

• Like 1