Yeti 1St Mot.. Front Shock.

servicepoint

The Yeti went for its first MOT yesterday after covering 25500 trouble free miles. It passed although it was given an advisory note that the front nearside shock was showing a slight sign of oil misting. Told me not to be too concerned with it at present however I'm surprised it's showing this after so few miles, I'm far from hard on the car.

I changed onto the winter tyres a few days before and never noticed any signs of oil misting on the shock.

Anyone else had this on there Yeti?

It's probably just the garage planting the seed, so next year they can sting you for new shocks.

I agree, it's similar to the "brake discs are rusting" that many dealers report on.

Fred

Consumable item?

Only if it loses damping without a visible leak.

Leakage is warrantable but the dealer will probably only want to replace the leaky damper (because that's all Skoda will pay for).  Ideally, both should be replaced which might need some negotiation to reach a fair price.

You're looking at 45-60m per side to do the R&R.  The parts are probably around GBP40-50 each side (just guessing).  It should have an alignment after as well.

• Like 1

Wear and tear item. After 6500 miles

I've had leaky dampers with other brands & they've been replaced under warranty - even at 40,000km on a Toyota.  OTOH, I've had others where the damper is visually fine but allows the car to bounce like a pogo stick & I've had to pay for the fix myself.  A leak is classified as mechanical failure whereas lack of damping is wear & tear.

VW/Skoda seem to be quite good with stuff like this - I still can't believe the number of people that get batteries replaced as a warranty item at 12months +.

I guess we'll only know after the OP has visited the dealer.