Fabia RS won't always start (Skoda's workshop doesn't know why)

pippobj

My Rs has now 48k km. (30k miles)

About 1mouth and a half ago I brought the car to the workshop for servicing.

They changed to fuel filter, engine oil and the spark plugs

After about 1 week from servicing, it started to get a little uncertain startups .. initially was a problem that I I only self verified when  cold .. I did bother at first, but then the problem came up even when warm.. about 1h30 from shutdown.

I then decided to bring the car to the workshop also because I was still under warranty.

The diagnostics didn’t find any problems. And then gave me back the car saying it was perfect for them. After a few days I again brought the car back.

Since that day (October 20) the car has been in their hands. they replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, all injectors, have also cleaned the tank (I had just made the full and € 80 went petrol down the pipe) . They changed all this because they do not know where to look for the problem, the diagnostic does not give any error. They also did tests with various gauges and everything is normal. I asked to change the spark plugs again, but they’re saying that it’s not that the problem

Today I went to pick up the car after the defect would not show up for about a week. Retreat at 11 and parked at 11.30 under my house ... I go back to 18:10 and ...

(turn the volume up... nor you will not hear the engine trying to start)

I’m I the only one with this problem?

thanks

Edited by pippobj

I would (despite what they say) be looking at the plugs. I arrive at this conclusion from nothing but logic, when considering what they have subsequently changed.

For them to assume that 'new plugs' are ruled out of the equation says to me that they are not overly experienced in the little quirks and nuances of the reliability of new components. At the moment they assume they have fitted the right type - but you have no way of knowing this to be a fact. Before any further expensive shots in the dark - get this fundamental check done first.

• Like 1

I had an issue a long time ago with a Citroen that wouldn't start, and it was the RFID immobiliser antenna near the key that was the problem, not reading the key ID. But I'd be amazed if that didn't leave a log in the ECU of the same. Still, might be worth trying the other key at least.

Edited by pearce_jj

it annoys me that techs are so quick to jump on plug in dagnostics and seem to forget how to trace a fault the old fashioned way.

I'd start witht he key first and work through the process forward.

Remember when cars were an engine, key, garbox and a go peddle.  What was hard about them.

• Like 1

If the car was OK before a simple Oil & Oil Filter Service & Spark Plug replace.

I would want to ask about 'The Fuel Filter they changed'.  (Not the Air Filter, or Cabin / Pollen Filter, 'The Fuel Filter'.

I would want them to show me one the same from their parts dept,

& the Part Number & check the Invoice.

(Maybe get them to show me them changing & putting in another new one.   The least they can do...)

They are also going to have to remove the spark plugs, check the gap.

Also do an Update with the latest Skoda Software from the Database.

then see how it starts and runs.

george

PS

If you put a good running car in for a Simple Service,

& they then end up messing up.

and really did end up cleaning injectors, fuel tank, replacing the filter again etc.

That is not a 'Warranty Issue',  it is their Insurance Companies Issue.

They messed up somehow, & they are responsible.

Why did it go from a 'Service' to some Fuel or Fuel Tank issue?

How many miles did the car go in their care, and did someone put Fuel in.

Anyway,

they got it with fuel, and using 5 litres might be OK in a Service, road test, plugged in on the Diagnostic.

They need to Compensate you for the extra they used or had to dispose of.

Edited by goneoffSKi

• 2 weeks later...

My Rs has now 48k km. (30k miles)

About 1mouth and a half ago I brought the car to the workshop for servicing.

They changed to fuel filter, engine oil and the spark plugs

After about 1 week from servicing, it started to get a little uncertain startups .. initially was a problem that I I only self verified when  cold .. I did bother at first, but then the problem came up even when warm.. about 1h30 from shutdown.

I then decided to bring the car to the workshop also because I was still under warranty.

The diagnostics didn’t find any problems. And then gave me back the car saying it was perfect for them. After a few days I again brought the car back.

Since that day (October 20) the car has been in their hands. they replaced the fuel pump, fuel filter, all injectors, have also cleaned the tank (I had just made the full and € 80 went petrol down the pipe) . They changed all this because they do not know where to look for the problem, the diagnostic does not give any error. They also did tests with various gauges and everything is normal. I asked to change the spark plugs again, but they’re saying that it’s not that the problem

Today I went to pick up the car after the defect would not show up for about a week. Retreat at 11 and parked at 11.30 under my house ... I go back to 18:10 and ...

(turn the volume up... nor you will not hear the engine trying to start)

I’m I the only one with this problem?

thanks

I would (despite what they say) be looking at the plugs. I arrive at this conclusion from nothing but logic, when considering what they have subsequently changed.

For them to assume that 'new plugs' are ruled out of the equation says to me that they are not overly experienced in the little quirks and nuances of the reliability of new components. At the moment they assume they have fitted the right type - but you have no way of knowing this to be a fact. Before any further expensive shots in the dark - get this fundamental check done first.

Told them to change the plugs.. but their saying that if there was something wrong with the plugs, there would have been a log somewhere..

I had an issue a long time ago with a Citroen that wouldn't start, and it was the RFID immobiliser antenna near the key that was the problem, not reading the key ID. But I'd be amazed if that didn't leave a log in the ECU of the same. Still, might be worth trying the other key at least.

Didn't thought of that, thanks

it annoys me that techs are so quick to jump on plug in dagnostics and seem to forget how to trace a fault the old fashioned way.

I'd start witht he key first and work through the process forward.

Remember when cars were an engine, key, garbox and a go peddle.  What was hard about them.

If the car was OK before a simple Oil & Oil Filter Service & Spark Plug replace.

I would want to ask about 'The Fuel Filter they changed'.  (Not the Air Filter, or Cabin / Pollen Filter, 'The Fuel Filter'.

I would want them to show me one the same from their parts dept,

& the Part Number & check the Invoice.

(Maybe get them to show me them changing & putting in another new one.   The least they can do...)

They are also going to have to remove the spark plugs, check the gap.

Also do an Update with the latest Skoda Software from the Database.

then see how it starts and runs.

george

PS

If you put a good running car in for a Simple Service,

& they then end up messing up.

and really did end up cleaning injectors, fuel tank, replacing the filter again etc.

That is not a 'Warranty Issue',  it is their Insurance Companies Issue.

They messed up somehow, & they are responsible.

Why did it go from a 'Service' to some Fuel or Fuel Tank issue?

How many miles did the car go in their care, and did someone put Fuel in.

Anyway,

they got it with fuel, and using 5 litres might be OK in a Service, road test, plugged in on the Diagnostic.

They need to Compensate you for the extra they used or had to dispose of.

They told me that, since the problem could have been due to bad fuel, they had to throught it away, and they cannot stock it.. 

By the way - the car is still in the workshop.. (yep 2weeks plus the other 4...) and Skoda don't want to give me a replacement car.. 

So the car has been in the workshop all this time

And they do not know what the problem is

But it was ok before they changed some routine parts

Obviously it is their fault

And they won't give you a courtesy/replacement car ?

Unacceptable

Take it up with Skoda headquarters for whichever country you are in

For example me myself would be pestering Skoda uk by now!

Contact directly to Skoda headquarters in Czech Republic. They will respond to you but they will also inform the importer of your country. That's how they acted when I sent an e-mail to them. The next day early in the morning I received a car from importer's customer care asking why I contacted the factory claiming that were available to help me if I had called them. Then they told me that they are still available and willing to help me in any possible way.

Of course before sending the e-mail, I contacted the importer and gave me no solution.

I don't know why but it seems to me that most of Skoda mechanics does not have the know how of their cars. Sad!

Edited by stratosg

• 2 weeks later...

little update.

I'll have the entire engine replacement. But it will still be a CAVE and not the CTHE. :(

I hope it will not have the same oil comsuption problem that I had with the "old one".

They'll replace like for like however, it'll have all of the more recent parts.