PCP on a vRS - Diesel vs. Petrol

I need a new car as my company car is going back and the car list is less than inspiring. The 'best' car on it is a Golf GTD which I do like but feel it might be a bit small. I could have a 2.0 Elegance but to be honest, it doesn't appeal.

So, I am thinking of bothering a few local dealers for deals on a vRS estate. It would need to be a PCP deal as I have no trade in, deposit and I want to minimise my monthly payments to match the 'cash for car' allowance I will get from work. I will be doing about 20000 miles per year and keeping the car for 4 years.

So, are the likely higher residual values for the diesel car going to mean that the monthly payments are far lower than the petrol? Has anyone been down a similar route? 

If any dealers are reading, please feel free to PM or email me! Come what may, a new car will be on my drive in April - just need to decide which one!

Mind says black pump, heart wants green pump.

Thanks in advance!

Steve

Can't help with the PCP issue, but I've picked my vRS TDi up yesterday and I feel the engine is more than enough for me. Get an extended test drive sorted.

I've got a Golf GTD for a weekend next week so that will give me a good idea of what the diesel drives like.

I will try and get a petrol vRS for a couple of days too. I just wanted to get opnions on the payments to see if it is feasable first. I don't want to build my hopes up nor waste the dealers time.

Steve

They are nice. 

However, like in many things in life, size matters.....

I suppose I have to weigh up the extra space and potential nice petrol engine in the vRS vs. being 'given' an insured, fully maintained GTD.

I could always get a trailer :nerd:

Steve

Edited by Steve vRS

If youre doing heavy mileage it will be difficult to make a PCP work for you financially.

Im in that boat now....i came out of a company car and started buying my own (currently have a 2.0 Elegance estate) as my business mileage dropped through the floor (due to a role change) so felt it justifiable to buy my own as it wasnt going to get clobbered for work.

However thats all changed....im now doing an 80 mile round trip commute to the office most days, with occasional 600 mile round trips to another office location and other meetings.

Ive made my bed now as i bought it on 0% PCP and 10k/year miles with minimal deposit and am now in neg equity to nearly the tune of 4k.....so regardless of the fact I am putting more miles on it than i care to I am forced to stick with it until it all balances out.

Interestingly if I went back to a CC I also have the choice of a Golf GTD 5 door manual, or for a £50/month tax free contribution one with DSG (or alternatively a 120d M Sport manual with nav, 320d ED business saloon auto/touring manual or a 518d SE saloon manual).....given the oportunity Id walk back into the CC scheme, get arguably a nicer car than my 2.0 Elegance and hammer the ass out of that for 3 years....will probably end up a little better off too given i wouldnt have to pay excess charges and maintenance on that despite the loss of allowance and payment of tax.

Its of course a personal decision but having done it myself and found it has become a bit of a money pit id now always suggest if youre likely to be doing a few miles and can have a car you like (lets face it the GTD isnt a big car but its not exactly tiny either) id go that route.

Also (dont know about you) but I am now limited to buying a car that emits no more than 120g/km CO2 which limits purchase choice massively...i.e cars id rather have in place of a Golf GTD (basically anything with a decent petrol engine) I couldnt have now anyway.

All said and done though, as a company vehicle you could do worse than a 2.0 Elegance. Its not an exciting car by any stretch but is well equipped, vast and for what it is plenty quick enough; its not a great sum slower than the GTD for starters just wont be quite so fun/sharp to drive and nothing like as cool in looks but as a company car would you care too much? I'd go and drive one and see what you think myself, you might be pleasantly surprised.

Edited by pipsyp

Well, I think I've answered my own question!

Looking at personal lease rates, a TDi is £330 a month with a couple of toys over 4 years whilst the petrol is £492. Both including VAT and with 3 payments up front http://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk .

Looks like if I go Octavia, it will be the black pump.

Steve 

Well, I think I've answered my own question!

Looking at personal lease rates, a TDi is £330 a month with a couple of toys over 4 years whilst the petrol is £492. Both including VAT and with 3 payments up front http://www.nationwidevehiclecontracts.co.uk .

Looks like if I go Octavia, it will be the black pump.

Steve

Yep thats the sum of it whether you personal lease or PCP.

I wont argue for a second that the TSI isnt the better car....but it costs less to buy but depreciates significantly harder than the TDI primarily because the TDI outsells then petrol by quite some margin and are a better bet for resale in the used market.

If you get a PCP proposal on both cars, same spec term everything bar engine you'll notice the guaranteed future value of the petrol is noticeably less than the TDi so you pay through the nose monthly on that basis. Same kind of scenario on a personal lease though the monthly figure you pay there will be based on what the lease company deem the TCO of the car to be....naturally they need to make sure they profit from leasing you the car by the same kind of margin.

I still think you might just as well take the GTD particularly if doing 20k/year as that is pretty heavy for a lease/PCP, put up with having less boot space but relish in the fact youre getting to drive about in a car that (no offense to any vRS owners as I do like the vRS) is arguably a bit cooler and a bit more fun still to drive...and if anything happens to it not your worry but the companies.

Edited by pipsyp

Or a change in circumstances, mileage or employment, let alone the scratch in the supermarket/DIY centre carpark.

The Octavia is a grownups car, now do the grownup/risk free thing and take the company car, SWMBO won't let you hear the end of it if you get it wrong.

Test driving an Octavia tomorrow and I've got a GTD all next weekend.

I would be £800 per year better off with a leased vRS than a co. GTD. Not a huge amount and easily wiped out with one small bump!

Steve

I take it you've taken every additional cost into consideration? Insurance, servicing, tyres, etc etc. I'm surprised there is as big a gap as that - where does the £800 saving come from?

A few years ago and another job, I had a company car instead of an allowance. 

As you said the cost of a CC is not that much more, but for the extra you get the car breaks, needs a service or you have an accident one phone call and the company fixes it - very little stress.

I'm a bit out of touch on delivery times now, but is April a realistic date to have the Octavia delivered by?

We ordered ours last Saturday in October, were told to expect March at the earliest, then got allocated a build week of 2/15 and this week the build has moved to 51 this year. That's 2 weeks away...

Not sure how long to expect to have to wait after build to actually get our hands on the car though...

I'm a bit out of touch on delivery times now, but is April a realistic date to have the Octavia delivered by?

I ordered mine on the 1st of October. I got a phone call in Friday to say it will be available to collect from the 10th of Dec.

I was originally told week 3/2015