Made a move from Superb I to Superb II

Nos

Hi All,

been a long time since I've posted here.

Over a month ago I've upgraded from 2005 Superb 1.9 TDI PD 130bhp Elegance with 160k Miles to 2014 Superb combi FL 1.6 GL Ambition/SE with 10k Miles.

So first of all the changes that I've noticed.

Power:
I would say I just needed to get used to it. I think 1.6 is adequate for easy driving and it suit my style. I only miss the extra power when I floor it. With you would have the power when you need it. At 1800RPM 1.9 would start showing off where as 1.6 because of 6 gears and being green most of the time I stay at ~1500RPM range. One thing that I do not miss is distinctive PD sound :)

I'm still learning to get the most economy out of it and I'm sure it will get better with time but at the moment I'm easily getting 4.7L/100km(60MPG) with full tank. With old Superb was getting 5.1-5.2L/100km(54-55MPG) and 4.7L/100km(60MPG) if I really tried. Here is a proof :) http://youtu.be/L1-Jstq8XQo?list=UUHKJe39V65cGFF8cIwarumg.

With the new Superb I was able to get 4.3L/100km(66MPG) for 300km strech which I think is good.

I'm still learning the way the car behaves and also has to get used to start/stop system.

BTW: I think the gear change notification on maxidot is useless.

Interior:

I went for Combi mainly because I needed extra space when going on trips and also I think Combi does look much better than hatch.
Being Ambition this does not have all the fancy kit that Elegance had but I think it does have enough for interior.

After reading through this forum I've upgraded all interior with LEDs :)

BTW: Tried to change the number plate bulbs with CANBUS LEDs but I get error once both are changed. If only one is change no error.

Here are the things that I'm missing.
The lights:
The older one had Xenons and I really rarely used high beam lights on it. On the new one it feels like the road is lit by candles :(
Are there any better options available? Maybe better bulbs? Or should I just buy HID kit?

The stereo:
The old one had Symphony Stereo and although it was nothing special it sounded way better than the current Bolero unit. I've read that people were having problem with rattling speakers but I do not get that. Just the sound feels lifeless and has no soul. Sometime I feel that some sound ranges are missing.

Does anyone else felt the same and have any recommendations?

Missing spare wheel:

Not much to say here. I know a spare wheel does not come with GL models but I was surprised that there were no lifting jack and wheel brace when I wanted to change my summer to winter tyres :/

Overall I'm happy with the upgrade :)

The poor standard lights is common across all models TBF and I put nightbreaker extremes in mine. They aren't as good as aftermarket HIDs but are legal and are better than stock. I got mine direct from Amazon rather than off ebay so I was confident I wasn't getting fakes.

The lack of jack and brace is correct if you have the gunge. A spare wheel kit will cost just over £100 and includes these, the wheel (obviously) and the foam insert to keep the tools in.

Check the headlight alignment before changing bulbs at all. When I got my car the lights barely lit 10 m in front of the car on dipped beams. Got them adjusted properly under warranty and they're excellent now. My car has the xenons though, but before adjusting beam angles they were much worse than the standard lights in my Octavia.