vrs front brakes

Hello everyone, I'm hoping you may be able to help with a problem I'm having.

I own an octavia vrs 10 plate. I have had this from new and it's just ticking over the 100k mark. Anyway the front discs have warped for the second time in probably 4k miles . As well as this there seems to be a clicking noise coming from the front brakes at low speed. Say below 15 mph. This is the second time I have had this problem and replacing the discs and pads was only a short term fix.

My theory at the moment is that when the discs and pads were changed 2 sets ago, the garage cleaned up the caliper carrier with a file and now the pads don't fit correctly and hence causing the pads to wobble and cause a clicking noise to be heard.

I have heard about problems with the brakes if the driver does not lift his foot when stationary and damages the discs that way. however I have done alot of miles in this car with my driving style not really changing. With this problem only really being a recent thing.

Hopefully someone can give me some advice or a way forward before I go and buy another set of pads and discs. With this problem potentially happening again.

Thanks in advance.

If it is the calliper then it will warp your new disks again. Might be best to get to the bottom of the problem. Shouldn't cost too much to have the callipers stripped and cleaned.

Did you have OEM pads and discs fitted by a main dealer?

Suggest you take car back to dealer and ask them to check over the brakes and wheel bearings and don't get fobbed off by them.

I guess you're not the last of the late brakers so for two sets to warp in 4k something must be amiss. Perhaps brakes are dragging a bit causing too much heat build up. eg sticking pistons. Has your fuel consumption gone up?

I have an auto vRS 12reg 40k which I've done about 6k mainly motorway.  I notice the brakes are really over servoed to make these cheap puny items effective and they don't really look man enough for the job. I suspect these brakes are really easy to overheat on a B road blast.

I'll be interested to see how get on with this so keep us posted. Sorry can't be any more help.

• Like 1

What is the condition of the rubber bushes the slider pins go through?  They can deteriorate and cause the caliper to twist.  They are a cheap part to replace - I think the whole kit of rubbers & pins is only AUD50 (GBP30ish)

For rotors to warp you need heat.  The only reason the rotors would get excessively hot is caliper drag so it's either the pistons on both calipers not returning properly or the calipers themselves not moving freely.

• Like 1

Many thanks for your thoughts and ideas. I'm going to strip the calipers down replace all renewable parts.

The rubbers and pins that are approximately £30. Does anyone know where I can pick up this kit? My normal source of parts is euro car parts and I can't seem to see the kit on there website.

Also does anyone know of an electronic manual for the vrs. I had one for a previous car but not seen one about for the vrs.

Again many thanks for the replies and I will ensure I put any info I find during the strip and rebuild on here.

Thanks.

You'll get the parts from the dealer & there are also aftermarket options.

Ebay has a huge selection and you Brits have the non-dealer VW spares outlets (motorfactors??) which seem cheap.

part numbers & diagrams

http://www.partscats.info/volkswagen/en/?i=cat_vag_models&brand=sk&number=81&set=102&ein=2010&f=663&hauptgr=1234567890&hg=6&grf=061525409&bf=61530&hgug=615&ug=15&parent_id=212509&detail_id=212529