DSG changes up early

speedsport

Having seen my 2010 Yeti, a friend has bought a new F/L DSG fitted Yeti but is concerned that the DSG box changes up too early, especially around town.

He frequently finds that it's in 7th gear at around 30mph, and feels the engine is labouring, which he worries will affect its longevity.

Is it possible to have it reprogrammed so that it delays changing up for another 100 or so rpm?

Any advice gratefully received.

All Dsgs can be remapped . vags standard software is carp and with them all is in top at 28 mph ! A remapped dsg is smoother change up and down and a like a true manual will not be overridden in 3 seconds time . Most companies will do an engine and dsg together that compliment each other

I think it's acknowledged that the 6sp DSG will readily go to 5th at 28-30mph in easy conditions, but a 7sp going to the top sounds very low.  I wonder what the revs would be. 

Sorry that I can't offer any help though. 

Hi have found that at between 60Kmh and 80 Kmh (ie: 35/50 Mph) its better to use the manual shift on the DSG,

any Motor Diesel/Petrol that has to labour, will not see its high Mileage potential.

When I change back to full Auto at highway speeds,  I put my left hand on my left knee, so I won't be tempted to change gears.

As above. Not without a remap or using manual mode.

From watching videos of the 7 speed it does seem to very quickly flick up through the gears even with slightly more throttle.

I think it's acknowledged that the 6sp DSG will readily go to 5th at 28-30mph in easy conditions, but a 7sp going to the top sounds very low.  I wonder what the revs would be. 

Sorry that I can't offer any help though. 

My 6 speed DSG won't change up to 6th gear unless your going over about 42mph on a light throttle. At this speed the engine is running at about 1500rpm.

At 28-30 mph it's in 4th gear and doesn't change into 5th until you go over 30mph.

As above. Not without a remap or using manual mode.

From watching videos of the 7 speed it does seem to very quickly flick up through the gears even with slightly more throttle.

My 6 speed DSG won't change up to 6th gear unless your going over about 42mph on a light throttle. At this speed the engine is running at about 1500rpm.

At 28-30 mph it's in 4th gear and doesn't change into 5th until you go over 30mph.

Ditto.

I've posted on this several times and it's the main thing that spoils the dsg experience for me.

"I'm not a total DSG convert mainly because I don't like the way it always tries to be in the highest gear for the best fuel economy. To me this is a pain in urban traffic. In a manual I'd just keep it in 3rd gear but the DSG is up and down like a yoyo (yes I know I can put it into tiptronic)".

In 30 limits the engine always labours and feels horrible because it is in too high a gear. It only takes a couple of mph for the gearbox to react and change so can be in anything from 3rd to 7th between say 20mph and 32mph.

As you come into a 30 limit just easing off the throttle does not change down the gears and again you end up in 6th or 7th and the car feels horrible labouring.

I can't see the point of people saying "just use tiptronic" in urban areas. If that's the case I might of well have just bought a manual.

I've had the car just over a year now and my opinions of dsg have not changed. I would contemplate having another but definitely not if it was programmed similar to this one. To me it's been a total waste of the extra £1000 asking price.

• Like 1

Mine only changes into 7th when I'm doing a constant 40mph or more. Below that (say 37 or 38mph) its stays in 6th and if I drop to 30mph it chooses either 5th or 6th depending on the road and conditions. I seldom find it labours and if it does, it quickly changes to a lower gear.

• Like 1

I've posted on this several times and it's the main thing that spoils the dsg experience for me.

"I'm not a total DSG convert mainly because I don't like the way it always tries to be in the highest gear for the best fuel economy. To me this is a pain in urban traffic. In a manual I'd just keep it in 3rd gear but the DSG is up and down like a yoyo (yes I know I can put it into tiptronic)".

In 30 limits the engine always labours and feels horrible because it is in too high a gear. It only takes a couple of mph for the gearbox to react and change so can be in anything from 3rd to 7th between say 20mph and 32mph.

As you come into a 30 limit just easing off the throttle does not change down the gears and again you end up in 6th or 7th and the car feels horrible labouring.

I can't see the point of people saying "just use tiptronic" in urban areas. If that's the case I might of well have just bought a manual.

I've had the car just over a year now and my opinions of dsg have not changed. I would contemplate having another but definitely not if it was programmed similar to this one. To me it's been a total waste of the extra £1000 asking price.

That would really bug me.

It's crazy to think that you could be doing 60mph then come into a 30mph it stays in 7th.

And you're right about that you shouldn't have to use manual mode.

But you're only options are:

1) put up with it

2)  workaround it with sport/manual mode

3) speak to dealer about it- but doubt they will do anything

4) get the DSG software remapped

Phil

Edited by Phil-E

As a first timer with DSG I find no problems with it. However if the OP wants higher revs before gear changing why not try the S mode?

Fred

I think the point is that he shouldn't have to.

The difference with your gearbox is it's the 6 speed one.

The 7 speed really does whizz through the gears and get into 7th early.

Mine only changes into 7th when I'm doing a constant 40mph or more. Below that (say 37 or 38mph) its stays in 6th and if I drop to 30mph it chooses either 5th or 6th depending on the road and conditions. I seldom find it labours and if it does, it quickly changes to a lower gear.

Mine is in 7th before that. Even with 7 gears and their ratios, 5th or 6th gear at 30 is way too high. If you want to make any speed increases, for whatever reason, there is absolutely no throttle response for what seems like an age.

Yours is a diesel so the engine response is totally different to a petrol and can't be compared. The ratios may even be different, I don't know, I can only comment on my car being a 1.2 petrol. 

I can feel my engine labouring quite badly when in 6th and at 30 or below. The gearbox will only change down if I further decrease speed.

I'll put up with it as overall it is a decent car but it does spoil the experience. I'm a low mileage user but if I was doing more miles I'd seriously look at replacing the car.  

As a first timer with DSG I find no problems with it. However if the OP wants higher revs before gear changing why not try the S mode?

Fred

I don't find any problems with the revs mine changes at when accelerating hard eg. when overtaking. It is surprisingly sprightly if you floor the throttle.

All my criticisms are at speeds of 35mph and under.

I'm glad that I chose a 2.0 TSi / 6-spd DSG rather than the 1.8 TSi / 7-spd DSG when I was searching for my Superb.

The box shifts up & down pretty much when it should, giving me a relaxed drive & decent economy, but, if I'm driving with

a little more brio, it's drops down earlier & shifts up later, just as I would expect.

I rarely need to use the manual mode, but since the paddles work in D as well as S, I can shift for myself if I feel there is a need to, 

usually if I need to squirt the barge through traffic or slow down in a hurry for a slow corner.

Since buying the Super B, SWMBO has acquired a vRS Octy with the same engine / DSG combination &  wouldn't go back to a manual,

she finds her Race Blue mini-cab to be quiet, tractable & economical most of the time, but when the red mist descends, it's a nippy little car....

Just to complete the story I bought a VW EOS, again withe same engine / DSG, but with very different (taller) final drive gearing.

(3K rpm in 6th gear in both Skoda's = 77mph, with the change from 5th to 6th on a light throttle at about 38 mph, but the EOS is very different,

3K rpm in 6th = 95 mph, shifting up about 55 mph.)

This car has benefited from a software re-set to current factory settings, mostly 'cos the previous even older owners treated quite badly,

performance was way down & they'd only managed a 24 mpg average over 70+ hours of driving.

It's much better now, averaging 35 mpg & (almost) keeping up with the vRS, & shifting when it feels as if it should.

As per another poster's comments, using "S" mode opens up a different side to these cars characters, departing from stop-lights in a

manner unsuited to a convertible coupe or a cheap-skate limousine. It's about the only time we see red-line, there is enough torque

to keep up with the traffic without making too much noise.

Enjoy your DSG's, & if you aren't happy, talk with a decent Skoda dealer or one of the better tuners & get it set up properly.

DC

Mine is in 7th before that. Even with 7 gears and their ratios, 5th or 6th gear at 30 is way too high. If you want to make any speed increases, for whatever reason, there is absolutely no throttle response for what seems like an age.

Yours is a diesel so the engine response is totally different to a petrol and can't be compared. The ratios may even be different, I don't know, I can only comment on my car being a 1.2 petrol. 

I can feel my engine labouring quite badly when in 6th and at 30 or below. The gearbox will only change down if I further decrease speed.

I'll put up with it as overall it is a decent car but it does spoil the experience. I'm a low mileage user but if I was doing more miles I'd seriously look at replacing the car.  

Sorry, I failed to spot yours is a petrol not a diesel. However, for what's it worth, I did a check driving home last night and at a steady 30mph, mine stays resolutely in 5th no matter how gentle I am with the throttle.  On gentle throttle, it changes into 6th by 32/33mph then only into 7th at 41mph exactly.  Slowing down, it changes into 6th from 7th at 39mph and down into 5th at exactly 30mph.  This works fine for the diesel and it seems odd that they have got the ratios right with the diesel but not the petrol 7 speed DSG. The dealer did do a software update on the gearbox a few months ago so maybe that has sometihing to do with it. 

• 9 years later...
On 12/12/2014 at 09:16, djj777 said:

Sorry, I failed to spot yours is a petrol not a diesel. However, for what's it worth, I did a check driving home last night and at a steady 30mph, mine stays resolutely in 5th no matter how gentle I am with the throttle.  On gentle throttle, it changes into 6th by 32/33mph then only into 7th at 41mph exactly.  Slowing down, it changes into 6th from 7th at 39mph and down into 5th at exactly 30mph.  This works fine for the diesel and it seems odd that they have got the ratios right with the diesel but not the petrol 7 speed DSG. The dealer did do a software update on the gearbox a few months ago so maybe that has sometihing to do with it. 

I've found this to be a problem with my new Fabia SE L 1ltr .

In D it changes up to soon and then when you stabilize speed it labours (lugs) and doesn't change down soon enough.

So, to compensate I'm either driving in S unless I'm over 40mph and on a dual carriageway or motorway then move into D and it's OK.

However as soon as I down speed I have to drop back into S.

Would my Skoda service department be able to/ agree to remap the box so that it holds the gears for slightly longer or change the default from D to S ?

My previous 1.5 ltr Scala wasn't a problem presumably because it was a higher powered engine and had more torque.

Many of you will know of my issues with excessive road noise.

Skoda and the dealership pulled out of a solution so I'm stuck with it and it's getting worse just 3000 miles on the clock and the tyres wearing !

I've also confirmed that it's not all down to the tyres, it's the lack of sound deadening in the car and use of brittle plastic inside the cabin.

On 11/12/2014 at 08:41, spottydog said: