Fabia vrs 2010 1.4 TSI ENGINE PROBLEMS!

Fabman22

Hi everyone,

Just wondered if anyone has experienced the same problems I've just encountered!

Driving home Friday night and my engine went bang, car juddered and was running really lumpy! EML and EPC light came on. So on the hard shoulder I went! Good old dad recovered me home!

In the morning wizzed the spark plugs out (as I changed them about 2 months ago!) and the bottoms missing off one with a lot of srapnal in the bore with what looks like park of my spark plug (the ones it's meant to have, platinum tipped) has made itself at home in the top of my cozy piston... potential timming chain slip? She's only done 35,000 miles. I brought it when it had 11,000miles. I've only ever let Skoda touch it for all of the work it's had. Which has just been servicing, DSG gearbox recall and a new DRL. It doesn't use to much oil and have never let it run low on water or on oil. So I havent a clue why this has happened with so little miles?!

I'm gutted as its my pride and joy, I saved up and treated myself so I wasn't tied down with finance. I will have owned it 2 years in March and wasn't aware from all the "using a lot of oil issues"

But looking around online there seems to be a lot of them gone bang. :(

Had it recovered today to my local Skoda garage but unfortunatly I haven't got the extended warranty :(

I can just see this being a 3k plus bill, just wondered if I had a leg to stand on to see if Skoda will do any good will? Or if you know they have done?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Lee

Sorry to hear that,

You are maybe going to have to see what action you can take with Skoda / VW, 

so far people are not taking them to court. 

There is a Design & Manufacturing fault,  but the spark plugs are causing many problems.

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/294051-cave-cthe-14tsi-just-reply-please-if-you-have-had-an-engine-replaced

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/291585-warning-on-spark-plugs-14-tsi-cave-vrs-check-the-spark-plugs

http://briskoda.net/forums/topic/335451-hole-in-piston

See the 'Polo ' thread in this section,

and sadly all the other ones.

Edited by goneoffSKi
  • Like 2

Thanks guys, I know a bummer just before Christmas :(

I changed the spark plugs Because one had gone down... So I changed the lot.

I think that was the warning sign really. Hopefully Skoda will contribute as its such a common fault, I was unfortunatly unaware of :'(

Fingers crossed for tomorrow!

tattyjay,

if you have not looked at CAVE twincharger spark plugs before,

you will not need a pictorial guide to see the one liable to fail if in fact it is on its way out.

To be honest not checked them since they were changed at around 22k about 10k miles ago. The information might be useful to others and hopefully highlights the need to check then on a regular basis in my option. Only takes couple of mins to whip one out.

@Fabman22 which one melted? Nearest drive side or furthest away?

No point whipping 1 out,  that is the problem with many technicians.  Why so many are failing.

No point even whipping out the one in the cylinder we know that overheats the 1 Spark Plug tip.

All 4 Spark Plugs need closely inspected, because as well as an overheated tip,

you can see tracking sometimes.

Edited by goneoffSKi

No point whipping 1 out, that is the problem with many technicians. Why so many are failing.

No point even whipping out the one in the cylinder we know that overheats the 1 Spark Plug tip.

All 4 Spark Plugs need closely inspected, because as well as an overheated tip,

you can see tracking sometimes.

As you've said many time skoda most likely don't even check these during a service. I notice several cars failing around the 40k mark with mine around 32k is approaching although not using it much at the moment due to work in Aberdeen. Therefore I'm going keep an eye on it and change the coils just as a precaution. Also be interested to see how the map has effected the plugs after running it now for around 10k.

Forget the 40,000 mark, there were ones that failed at before 4,000 when the cars came out in 2010,  

and before then in the Seat Ibiza Twinchargers that were on sale from 2009.

That was not the Spark plugs, but the Rings, Bore Wash etc.

The Spark Plugs can fail at anytime if there is oiling and overheating.

Oiling & overheating, & Misfires, and misfires do not always log.

I took you a couple of pictures of a 12,000 mile spark plug that was fitted with a TMC Tuning Box and about to fail.  (sorry poor pictures)

Very much like ones on standard engines that might fail around 20,000 miles or before.

I have pics of ones that have 2 plugs going at 25,000 miles,.  a dealership had changed only 1 spark plug.

sharkrider had ones that were perfect and with no troubles at over 30,000 miles.

Edited by goneoffSKi

There is serious heat of one cylinder when up to temperature and then you are on Super Charger & Turbo,

that is the design fault, & the importance of the Engine Management being correct,

and then the plug starts failing, or the coil is, and there is a misfire in one cylinder.

That is the issue.

If you look at the various historic engine failure threads, there are the various burnt out valves, plugs and failed plugs

and holed pistons.

This is from the 'serious heat'.

So remaps and playing about with Spark Plug heat ranges, lengths & gaps is all fair enough,

there are not many Members around that still that did it & still have the cars.

The threads and stories are still to be found,

apart from some that were taken down, because of Unhappy Tuning Companies or possible legal actions.

Nothing wrong with running 210 BHP with a CAVE, but you had best read a bit more on it,

and try checking your own Spark Plugs, setting the gap yourself,  and knowing what to look for.

Because failure is rather costly.

Remember this is the 125kW engine on Youtube,

so before VW took it to 132-136 kW with the CAVE, and then started having the failures.

Then they needed to revise the components & engine management to the CTHE engine late 2012.

VORSPRUNG DURCH TECHNIK.

'Do not make a video to say sorry, we got it wrong, but we will see you OK, our fault.'

Edited by goneoffSKi

They have never owned up in over 4 years.

But the Internet has now caught them out, and all these threads, 

they can say 'Only Small Numbers',  

but sooner rather than later there will be UK court actions against them, and the Volkswagen Group will find it very difficult 

to defend against the fact that the faults are not from their Design & Manufacturing faults.

Poor Quality Control and lack of honesty to those buying their product.

http://revotechnik.com/support/technical/14tsi-twincharger-engine-issues

These are the plugs Skoda told me to get... They were £100 for the 4.

And then the plug I removed Saturday morning.

I just can't get my head around why Skoda/vw are getting away with this! Especially on this scale.

Thank's guys

post-124982-0-73138000-1418736903_thumb.jpg

post-124982-0-96324500-1418736933_thumb.jpg

The mount of repetition on this forum of the same posts nearly word for word every single day is becoming really rather tiresome.

It's a shame as there is good information here. But posting the same thing every day actually undermines the value in those messages - IMHO.

• Like 1

The mount of repetition on this forum of the same posts nearly word for word every single day is becoming really rather tiresome.

It's a shame as there is good information here. But posting the same thing every day actually undermines the value in those messages - IMHO.

What do you suggest?

pearce_jj,

time you write an article saying how overblown the failure rate of the 1.4TSI CAVE engine is, & get it 'pinned', 

Then new members coming with faulty engines can find out how rare their failure was and how fantastic the Volkswagen Engines are.

£100 for 4 Spark Plugs was a really Crazy price,

i used to spend £65 for DENSO before they were reduced at ECP.

They were worth every penny of the £65, because they are quality.

Are they PZFR6R, which are around £40 for 4 usually?

Edited by goneoffSKi