Vibration

ronhob

Just wondered if anyone can help. At low speeds when changing gear I get an annoying vibration which appears to come from the engine compartment. All sounds Ok on tick over with the bonnet lifted.Anyone experienced this problem.

Dual Mass Flywheel. Lots of good explanations of what this actually is and how it works by googling it.

This was diagnosed as a fault on my Volvo V50. It felt to me like slightly unbalanced wheels at pretty much all speeds - it wasn't the wheels because I had them balanced (twice) and the steering geometry checked before taking it to a main agent for them to take a look. Covered by warranty (fortunately) as it would have been about £1200 I was told. To be honest once the work was done I'm sure the car didn't feel much better. On the positive side, it was really the last straw with that car which got traded in 18 months ago for my Yeti, which I'm much happier with.

20,000 miles would seem to be extremely low for such a major component but others more technically minded hopefully will come back with more information. You could also use the "search" function on this web-site - I'm sure it's something that has come up in the past. Just a stab in the dark but could it be an engine mounting that's on its way out? 

Thank you.Your comments are much appreciated. After Christmas I will have a word with the dealer as there is still three months warranty left on the Yeti. Have a good Xmas and thanks again.

there is still three months warranty left on the Yeti.

If it's only 20 months old there should be more left than that!  Or have you had it for 20 months from used?

20,000 miles would seem to be extremely low for such a major component

True, but even the best manufacturer can't ensure that every example of an item that they sell won't fail early.  That's what warranties are for.  It would be more worrying if there were widespread reports of it happening as a common fault, but there aren't.

i have some problems with my yeti 1,2 tsi, sometimes its sounds like vibrtations or some trrrr sound when it is in stand by or ler, and it is only hears when car is warm and on work temperature, on the lowest rpm about 600 or 700. 

Worth checking the black metal brake pipes that come off the servo and run along the bulkhead. My Yeti suffered from vibration that I traced to here. Easily solved with some high density foam and cable ties. Two of the pipes weren't located in there holders and only needed 'relocating, perhaps yours have bounced out.

Thanks. The car is 20 months old and has done 20,000 miles.Excuse my ignorance but was is DMF?

In that case you have got another YEAR and 4 months on the warranty. Skodas in the UK get 3 years!