Plastic piece in water tank...

piraya2

Hi, have a 2003 Octavia 1,6 with no heat in it. The temp gauge is normal.

I found a piece of plastic in the water coolant tank and it was little tricky to get it out some think it comes from inside the engine.

http://www.nordicaudi.com/php/files/1271096-IMG_3660.jpg

What can it be? It seem to be white from the beginning and i think its to thin and soft to come from the water pump. What else could it be?

The water pump was changed a few years back and the car has rum about 40 000 kilometers since.

I would really appriciate som help! Trying to help my father with his car.

That looks more like crud which has solidified in the expansion bottle. Looks like it was sitting in the bit which holds the low level sensor. Certainly way to big to fit through the return pipe.

What colour is the coolant?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Ok, yes i see now that i google some pictures i see that the return pipe is to small. But could this piece shut down the heat in car in some way?

The coolant looks pretty nice with no oil or such.

If the wrong coolant is used it can react with the correct stuff and gunge precipitates out. It could be that at some time in the past it had the wrong stuff added and this is the result.

We have had it several years and it was not so old when we got it so don't think thats what happened. But maybe some small pieces got stuck somewhere. Strange that the piece looks really damaged. First it though the water pump messed it up.

no,is not

OK, so which one of you is the bloke in a dress and which is the woman dressed as a man?

Having the plastic sort of delaminate seems a bit weird, a build up of gunge/precipitate seems more likely.

• Like 1

no,is not ,expansion tank is make is one piece,plastic is casted in one piece....you show me the level sensor,2 electrodes casted in the reservoir.....

see the electrodes continues with the pins,even the plug is casted

OEM_COOLANT_EXPANSION_TANK_RESERVOIR_for

Edited by IulianE

VAG have been using the same basic part for years (you'll find essentially the same part on a 1985 Polo), earlier versions have a removable level sender, I would guess that at some stage they went to a single moulding to cut costs. 

In the first post (piraya2) says that (I found a piece of plastic in the water coolant tank ) if you check the image http://www.nordicaud...96-IMG_3660.jpg you will see the same plastic piece also in the image of the link (http://s221.photobucket.com/user/ozwald_album/media/CIMG0499.jpg.html) i posted . I didnt say that the plastic piece is the sensor but the container under the sensor .

Yes it sure looks like it. But can it have anything to do with the loss of heat inside the car

Yes if a small piece of broken  plastic went trough the cooling system it could block the hose to the heater radiator.

Yes the tank was broken. Replaced it today. I also loosende termostat and the hoses and started the engine for a few seconds and i think the water flow just fine. I also checked the heater and nothing that seems to be blocking it. Also broke the plastic for the little hose so i blocked that (the hose) for now... Feel like a idiot...

Refild with water and ler it for a while. The temperature rises to the middle of the gauge in what i think is normal time but still no heat.

But when i drive there is some heat but i dissaperes when i drive slow. But the temp gauge is perfekt the whole time..

The lower radiator hose is cold and the top one is warm. Could it be the termostat? Seems strange to me when the temp gauge is ok.

Yes the tank was broken. Replaced it today. I also loosende termostat and the hoses and started the engine for a few seconds and i think the water flow just fine. I also checked the heater and nothing that seems to be blocking it. Also broke the plastic for the little hose so i blocked that (the hose) for now... Feel like a idiot...

First replace the broken part i supose that you broke the return to the expansion tank (dont drive the car until you fix it)

Refild with water and ler it for a while. The temperature rises to the middle of the gauge in what i think is normal time but still no heat.

That is normal .

But when i drive there is some heat but i dissaperes when i drive slow. But the temp gauge is perfekt the whole time..

Do you have climatronic or the old style controls for the heat? if you have climatronic you need vag com to check it for codes

The lower radiator hose is cold and the top one is warm. Could it be the termostat? Seems strange to me when the temp gauge is ok.

The thermostat  is ok from your description. but after a long drive the lower radiator hose should be warm also

Thanks! I changed the thermostat yesterday and i actually got better. The air still gets a little colder when the car idle but not ner as much.

Yes it was the return that broke. Ordered one now. What could happen if i drive the car until i change it?

Thanks! I changed the thermostat yesterday and i actually got better. The air still gets a little colder when the car idle but not ner as much.

Yes it was the return that broke. Ordered one now. What could happen if i drive the car until i change it?

when the thermostat is closed that is the only way for the cooling fluid to circulate arround the engine if that pipe is blocked the hot water wont reach the thermostat and it will stay closed and your engin will overheat.

when the thermostat is closed that is the only way for the cooling fluid to circulate arround the engine if that pipe is blocked the hot water wont reach the thermostat and it will stay closed and your engin will overheat.

Yes i understand its not god but its "just" the small hose thats is blocked right now. The one thats about 8-10 millimeter wide. Doesn't really matter. Will change it as soon i get it.

Yes i understand its not god but its "just" the small hose thats is blocked right now. The one thats about 8-10 millimeter wide. Doesn't really matter. Will change it as soon i get it.

The water pump is now trying to pump the water through the blocked pipe, that won't do it any good.