oil pressure lamp :(

Back home after spending Christmas at my in-laws. When starting my Felicia (parked on the driveway since last Sunday) the oil pressure lamp stays on... :(

Fresh oil (5w40) + filter in November.

I guess there are no alternatives beside towing it to the garage, are there? It's 6 centigrades below zero, so not particularly tempting fiddling outdoors.

Hi, before you do that it's worth checking the oil pressure switch actually works, you do sometimes get some strange oddities that pop up in the cold weather like this,

Have you got a multi meter with a continuity test function?

Hi. 

From what I remember, the oil pump on the 1.6 (AEE) is prone to relief valve failures, but as Teflon Tom suggests, it's well worth checking that it's not just an indication problem first.

Once you've eliminated that, it gets into 'sump off' territory. I can understand why this would be no fun at 6 degrees below zero! Problem could be a defective oil pump or merely a blocked oil pick up strainer. Last time I checked, a chain drive oil pump for the AEE was about £85 here, so fingers crossed you find it's an indication problem. :think:

The chain drive oil pumps are quite rare on the aee engines, it's only the really early ones mainly fitted in the mk3 golfs that had them, the later type is a duo-centric pump driven directly off the nose of the crankshaft..

it's a good call on the oil pickup pipe strainer being blocked up, that would be the next place I would look after checking the the operation of the oil pressure switch.

I hope you checked the oil level on dipstick, did you? Other than that, I suspect the connector of oil pressure switch is unplugged or corroded. Worst case scenario, you need a new oil pressure switch.

• 7 months later...

Some late European Felicias do have the 1.4MPi though.

Not true. Skoda never produced any 'late' Felicia with a 1.4MPI engine. Can you show any tangible proof?

Only some private enthusiasts customized their Felicia, but that's stretching the truth.

I am sure the guy will find all the help in Fabia section.

Edited by RicardoM