Dsg or manual 2.0 tdi vrs

And if you really need to be in control and want a driving car then buy second hand porsche or a BMW (with manual gearboxes), much more fun!

Mmmm...bit OT, but second hand Porsche+intermediate shaft issue = £7K's worth of fun. Guaranteed.

Sod that - if you want cheap fun get yourself a 1.1 Saxo and drive it like you stole it :D

If (when) it breaks, it breaks.

DSG performs perfectly around a track. If anything it's better as quicker shifts can be achieved etc.

Phil

Agreed, a double clutch in full manual on paddles is MUCH better than a manual around a track.

I had a BMW 135i DCT that I tracked and it was awesome, aside from seamless upshift, rev matching on the downshifts for you was a god send in the wet.

In comparison, my MR2 was a right handful under braking on a track as toe heeling was very hard due to the steering wheel hitting your knees, I was wishing it had a double clutch the whole day I took that on a wet track day!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I had a Golf Mk6 with a 1.6TDI 7 speed dsg. The transmission really suits the engine, but I wouldn't buy another with the reported problems. I test drove a Seat Leon 2.0TDI 6 speed dsg and thought it was awful. The 1.6 engine is much more rev happy and refined compared to the 2.0 by the way.

As others have said try both types. I did and didn't like the DSG in the TDI at all. It's good in the petrol model but just doesn't seem matched to the diesel engine and as others have commented seems to hold gears which don't suit how the diesel best works. The diesel has a noticeable turbo lag too and in the manual you get to know when and how and can decide whether to hold a gear or not which I like. The DSG also delivers the power differently and I think is harder to feather when you need to, like steep uphill starts and in the wet to control the wheel spin.

But if you just want set and forget driving and won't miss the involvement of using both feet arms etc then go auto for sure.

Edited by snala

I have DSG and I think it's 99% OK (which is pretty good for any auto).  However, if I were to be hyper critical there are some things I'd change on it....

1 - it's quite slow to engage gear (about 1 second).  If you're at the front of a queue and the lights change and not on the ball, people are hooting at you before it engages gear.

2 - the creep function.  I'd prefer the car to stand still when my foot is not on the throttle.  My alfa's TCT is set this way and it's much better (IMO)

3 - it changes gear too readily at too low a speed so often drops below the engine's torque band.  Most pronounced around town (which is 70% of my mileage)

4 - as others have stated, the sport / VRS mode just makes it rev too high (often above the torque band) so not ideal.  A midway point between the sport and normal would be much better.

5 - on the TDI it would be great if the DPF regen was somehow linked to the DSG so that the engine revs were maintained in the band where the filter needs the revs to be for maximum cleaning performance

These are all minor criticisms and overall I like my DSG.   Would I buy another manual?  Yes I would, but for my current needs the DSG is a good option.

As it's been said, try both to find out which you prefer.

My Blackline was DSG and the diesel/DSG was not a great combination - the gearbox was dim-witted and a constant source of frustration (not helped when it died at 14k miles).

I was adamant that my next car would be a manual, however after trying a couple of the Mk3 vRS diesel/DSG combinations the programming/software on the new one is a vast improvement on the old version. The gearbox is a lot better - not perfect but much more in tune with the car - even the flappy paddle gear changes are improved.

Having been on a track day and driving my mates Pug 106 I can confirm it (and so Saxo) is wicked good fun!

I concur, a friend let me have a go in his Saxo VTS some years back (when the car was still quite new) and it was an absolute hoot.

Lovely little engine that revved like nobodys business, sorted chassis, good brakes and v low kerb weight. Would love one as a hack around but finding a good one nowadays is difficult.

I concur, a friend let me have a go in his Saxo VTS some years back (when the car was still quite new) and it was an absolute hoot.

Lovely little engine that revved like nobodys business, sorted chassis, good brakes and v low kerb weight. Would love one as a hack around but finding a good one nowadays is difficult.

This was a 106 GTI with high lift cams ruining 160bhp and reving to 9k! Was proper mad!!