First service this week

Booked the Spaceback in for its first service, going in on Thurwday morning.

The car is a year old today. It's on the variable service schedule, but as I have no idea how well it was driven and cared for prior to my ownership, I've opted to have it serviced early (served indicator suggests I have another 8,000 miles to play with).

I'm keeping it on th variable service schedule however, and will see how my driving requirements change over the coming year (if, as I expect, my daily 70mile round trip to the office disappears later this year, then I'll switch to the 10K/Annual schedule at the end of this year, otherwise I'll see out the variable period until the car demands servicing).

Couldn't agree more, especially on cars with turbos. Even if I stay on the variable service schedule, I'll still have interim oil changes done.

Oil is cheaper than a new turbo - and boy do I know that first-hand!

Sent from my iPad Mini with Retina using Tapatalk, please excuse any typos.

• Like 1

Ours was factory set to variable but the suppling dealer reset it but not properly as it asked for a service with just over 100 miles on the clock  :D

Local dealer sorted under warranty and set it to fixed intervals which I'm happy with despite doing up to 14k a year; likewise prefer a regular change of oil.

TP 

Ours was factory set to variable but the suppling dealer reset it but not properly as it asked for a service with just over 100 miles on the clock  :D

Local dealer sorted under warranty and set it to fixed intervals which I'm happy with despite doing up to 14k a year; likewise prefer a regular change of oil.

I did have a bit of a struggle explaining to the service counter that the car is on variable, I want to stay on variable, I want the service done early (Car has done 8,850 miles) and done to full variable service interval spec regardless of the low mileage. They really could not comprehend this.

Suspect I will have to explain it again, in detail on Thursday morning. After all, if I'm paying £140 for a service, I want it done properly.

• Like 1

I have ours on variable but renew the oil myself in between services. Genuine oil is £27 off ebay or after dealer parts negotiation. Engine undertray removal tool is in the tool kit. 1/2 hour job saving lots of beer tokens.

Well - service has been done - £140.96 for basically an oil & filter change and some screen wash. Expensive, but the customer service was (I'm pleased to say) very good.

Not convinced they've reset the service counter correctly (they did say they were having trouble getting the service computer to reset it to the flexible service format). Will have a better idea this afternoon once I've driven it whether it's on flexible or 10K (if need be I'll be back in tomorrow morning to have them reset it again). My oil temp is still working, so that's a good sign.

I did the first service with the dealer for warranty and software update reasons mostly (any interim oil changes, and services once my warranty expires will be done by my trusted - and cheaper - indi garage).

The price sounds about right. Skoda's National Pricing Policy has a minor service at £139 and the variable at £259.

When I asked my local dealer to do just an oil and filter change they charged me £100.

Sounds like you've just had a minor service...

I think the point was that the car will be main dealer serviced whilst in warranty, then once the warranty expires it will be self serviced or maintained using local cheaper independent garages.

If it was all about the warranty there wouldn't be any need for the extra expense of interim oil change as these aren't required to maintain the warranty.

I assume the OP is planning to own the car after the warranty expires and is looking to minimise the potential for out-of-warranty failures?

Edited by silver1011
  • Like 1

I hate paying dealers prices, but they need to pay for those shiney all glass showrooms somehow.

My daughter up from Wiltshire last week had a problem with her Kia. I could have done the job for her but a combination of me being unwell and the weather was pants she took it to the dealer.

£185 to hook it up to the Diagnostic's and fit a new set of plugs and plug leads, parts were only £50.

I think the point was that the car will be main dealer serviced whilst in warranty, then once the warranty expires it will be self serviced or maintained using local cheaper independent garages.

If it was all about the warranty there wouldn't be any need for the extra expense of interim oil change as these aren't required to maintain the warranty.

I assume the OP is planning to own the car after the warranty expires and is looking to minimise the potential for out-of-warranty failures?

Correct on all counts.
  • Like 1

I'm a bit concerned the dealership has messed up and reset to fixed instead of variable service interval.

Before it went in today, my service counter in the Maxidot display had two counters displayed at once like this:

Oil change ... km / ... days

Inspection ... km / ... days

(Where ... There would be numbers etc)

Car was definitely on variable before.

Today after service, the display simply says:

Service in --- miles or --- days (this is exactly as shown in the car, including the dashes where the numbers should be.

Thoughts - do I need to go back to the dealer and politely yell at them?

I've been through something similar with my Superb.

I pay the £139 for an oil and filter change but request that the dealer sets the car to variable.

The first time I had this done they set it to fixed. After I noticed they mentioned something about Skoda not letting them do a fixed service and setting the car to variable. After this was disputed they then said their computer system defaults to fixed when a fixed service is carried out. Who knows the actual truth. I suspect a genuine mistake but an inability to admit it.

Anyway the reason I noticed the mistake was the loss of the engine oil temperature read-out and that after a few thousand miles the car said it wanted its next service in only 8,000 miles and 300 days.

For what it's worth the car is definitely now set to variable and I have the oil temp option in the display and my service status is exactly as yours is now.

Edited by silver1011

I had heard about the oil temp reading disappearing when set to fixed. My oil temp in Maxidot is still working, so hopefully its a sign they have set to variable.

How did your service counter look after they switched you to fixed. Was it like mine is now?

I can't say 100% but I am fairly sure the format was identical when on both fixed and variable.

It should be worth noting that my car is a 2011. I do know that the format of the display has changed on newer models such as your Rapid.

My service indicator has never differentiated between oil and inspection services with regards to displaying both together.

Edited by silver1011