cost of puncture with repair kit

Wimbo

Had a first Yeti puncture this morning with one tyre completely flat. As my Yeti has no spare I used the included repair kit (gunge + electric pump).

Managed to eventually pump up Ok after gunge put in, and then drove straight to Kwikfit for a repair.

Kwikfit said you have to replace a tyre after its has been 'gunged'. Mind you I have never actually had a tyre 'repaired' before after a puncture

so this was not a surprise.

Cost of tyre replacement was £148 (Continental 17"). I'm used to paying about £100 for a VW Golf 15" tyre so was a bit surprised. I guess the Yeti

tyres are bigger (but not 50% bigger).

What amazed me was that I then drove to work via my local Skoda dealer, I stopped to buy a replacement repair kit (ie another bottle of glue).

Cost for a small bottle of VAG tyre repair glue: £48 inc VAT. Incredible. Would be cheaper to call out the AA and get towed to Kwikfit.

Total cost: £200.

Maybe I need to rethink having a spare tyre instead. Certainly will only use the gunge as a last resort next time due to its cost.

Anyone used 3rd party cheaper gunge kits?

It's never nice having a puncture. The gunge has its limitations and depending on the puncture may not work anyway and as you've found out also has it's drawbacks which is why many get the spare wheel kit. IIRC it sticks a bit proud in the boot floor if you do decide to get one. The other alternative is to join the AA/RAC etc. Tesco club points can be used to get RAC membership and is typically around £50-70 in clubcard vouchers depending on tne level of cover you want which is loads less than going direct.

Sigh... Providing the puncture is in a legally repairable place then using gunk has no impact whatsoever on the ability to repair a tyre. I have had about 6 "gunked" tyres repaired over the years.

Kwik fit and other major tyre monkey places spout this nonsense to con people into scrapping a perfectly good tyre.

Take it to any decent independent tyre place and they will repair it. And I have never even been charged extra for it having been gunked either.

• Like 4

Kwik fit and other major tyre monkey places spout this nonsense to con people into scrapping a perfectly good tyre.

I wonder what the chance is that it'd be repaired and find it's way onto the second-hand market? :(

Kwik-fat again!!

The gunk can be washed out with warm water, but it is messy and there is no profit in it, therefore Kwik-fat go down the profit line not the "help a customer" line.

• Like 3

Had a first Yeti puncture this morning with one tyre completely flat. As my Yeti has no spare I used the included repair kit (gunge + electric pump).

Managed to eventually pump up Ok after gunge put in, and then drove straight to Kwikfit for a repair.

Kwikfit said you have to replace a tyre after its has been 'gunged'. Mind you I have never actually had a tyre 'repaired' before after a puncture

so this was not a surprise.

Cost of tyre replacement was £148 (Continental 17"). I'm used to paying about £100 for a VW Golf 15" tyre so was a bit surprised. I guess the Yeti

tyres are bigger (but not 50% bigger).

What amazed me was that I then drove to work via my local Skoda dealer, I stopped to buy a replacement repair kit (ie another bottle of glue).

Cost for a small bottle of VAG tyre repair glue: £48 inc VAT. Incredible. Would be cheaper to call out the AA and get towed to Kwikfit.

Total cost: £200.

Maybe I need to rethink having a spare tyre instead. Certainly will only use the gunge as a last resort next time due to its cost.

Anyone used 3rd party cheaper gunge kits?

Did you not get the "damaged" tyre back?

Fred

Did you not get the "damaged" tyre back?

Fred

Probably not...

and then they have probably charged him £1 disposal too... doh!

For me, this just confirms that buying a "full size" spare was the correct choice, despite reducing the boot space.

Edited by rustic

Wimbo, the spare that is fitted when selected as an option at new (and not to add to your pain, but I think it was an extra £85, so not a lot dearer than the cost of a replacement bottle of gunk) is slightly narrower than the standard tyre so the boot floor is raised to  the level of the tailgate lip. When it's on the car the usual restriction of 80kph/50mph applies but at least it keeps you mobile whilst a repair/replacement is organised. I think Littleade recollection must be of a full-size spare if the floor was above the lip.

• Like 4

Oh okay, just reading about court and fines atm, i know i can't change anything now but i can't stop thinking about the consequences :/

But you will remember when you do. :(

The temporary 16" space-saver spare wheel option (which includes jack, false boot floor and net programme) currently costs £150 rather than £85 as mentioned earlier.

• Like 3

I might be wrong but the spare doesn't look like the usual space saver,just a std wheel of a smaller size with a speed restriction but whatever it is I would always go the spare option rather than the gunk one.

OP: You've been had, mate. There's no problem repairing a tyre which has been gunked as long as the damage is repairable as for a non-gunked tyre. My wife's MX5 has the same system, used for a puncture a few weeks ago. The local tyre place fixed it no problem, just washed it out first. Mazda want £40-50 for a refill so we got a £10 can of Tyre weld, which I've used successfully on another car.

I carry a "Stop & Go" repair kit when out on the bike, and have taken to carrying it in the car now too, on the Prius I pulled a nail and repaired it myself, then ran the tyre until it needed replacing, another 25,000 miles, wanted to test the repair kit before I used it in anger on the bike.

http://www.stopngo.com/pocket-tire-plugger-plus-co2-inflation/

Have helped out 3 bikes at the side of the road since I started carrying it in the car.

Edited by Miz

I carry a "Stop & Go" repair kit when out on the bike, and have taken to carrying it in the car now too, on the Prius I pulled a nail and repaired it myself, then ran the tyre until it needed replacing, another 25,000 miles, wanted to test the repair kit before I used it in anger on the bike.

I carry much the same on my bike, had not thought about the Yeti not having a spare, I will get another for the boot.

This is the one I carry on the bike.

bike-it_rep-and-air_tubeless.jpg

I carry much the same on my bike, had not thought about the Yeti not having a spare, I will get another for the boot.

This is the one I carry on the bike.

bike-it_rep-and-air_tubeless.jpg

Would recommend the stop & go, as it does not need glue, so nothing to go out of date, also tyre can be wet & muddy during the repair.

I've never used the Stop and Go but there are a lot cheaper versions (£5) on Amazon that get good reviews. I have used Slime in my bikes for years as hopefully it will negate me having to stop and repair anything. I'm thinking of putting it in the Yeti.

Urrell have you tried that kit yet. Reason I'm asking is I had a similar one but it was useless and I had to call out the AA. The insertion tool was hopeless as it takes quite a bit of force to get the rubber plug into the tyre. The rubber plugs kept snapping at the eye of the tool. The S&G and Amazon have what looks like a good reaming and insertion tool with a decent handle.

I've never used the Stop and Go but there are a lot cheaper versions (£5) on Amazon that get good reviews. I have used Slime in my bikes for years as hopefully it will negate me having to stop and repair anything. I'm thinking of putting it in the Yeti.

Urrell have you tried that kit yet. Reason I'm asking is I had a similar one but it was useless and I had to call out the AA. The insertion tool was hopeless as it takes quite a bit of force to get the rubber plug into the tyre. The rubber plugs kept snapping at the eye of the tool. The S&G and Amazon have what looks like a good reaming and insertion tool with a decent handle.

I have used the Stop & Go on both bike and car tyres, because the plug is a mushroom the pressure in the tyre makes the plug seal better, I got mine after reading about them on the BMW GS forum, they recommended them as the tyre does not have to be clean and dry to repair it, and there is no adhesive needed, as generally, once you open the tube you need to buy a new one. Last time I used it was in Matlock, I stopped to fill up and there was a couple there with a bike with a flat rear tyre, they had used 2 cans of emeregency repair gunk on it with no success, took me longer to find the kit in the car than it did to repair the tyre, all he needed to do was pump it up, then enjoy the rest of the day.

• Like 1

We were on our way to the ferry on the Isle of Bute when one of the bikes in our party had a front puncture that went down so fast it nearly caused a very bad accident as he was passing parked cars with another overtaking us.

Anyway watching him get that kit out and repairing it and being on our way again in about 5 minutes made my mind up to get and carry that kit on my bike as soon as we got home.

The hole in the tyre has to be reamed out with the tool, and although the "plugs" in this kit seem to be way too big it pushed in and was cut off level with the tyre with no problem.

Why wouldn't it be? It repairs the tyre exactly the same way as most garages would. Drill the hole out and fit a mushroom plug, inflate the tyre.

I'm considering getting a kit myself, after watching a biker friend fix his puncture in a few minutes.

• Like 1