New, to me Octavia Elegance, a few Qs

jackg

I bought a 2003 (52) Octavia 1. 146k, serviced in December 2012 at 130k.

All Skoda servicing every 10k. Cam belt changed at 100k in 2010.

Dealer said he changed the oil (?) and some prep.

Is there any way of telling how old the oil is?

I think I will put it in for a service at the local indy to see if there are any horrors lurking.

Rear wiper does not work, washer does though.

It is a standard failure item as I have read, water pipe goes close to the motor.

The solution is to disconnect water pipe when replacing the motor (Valeo),  what route does the pipe takes, through the roof to the engine?

Is it easier to take the whole thing out and fit a bung?

OS sill is bent for about 6-9 inches behind the front wheel, which suggests an encounter with a kerb, so not sure about the jacking point.

I think I can just about get the jack onto it but I may have to use molegrips and cardboard to straighten it.

Trying to find the fuse for the rear wiper and I got confused about the fuse layout on the board as some are missing, eg 6 (central locking) but this works fine.

Once I got the orientation the right way round with help on here. Mine looks like this, if anyone has any advice, please comment.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/67356568@N05/15686182224/

One of the keys has one end of the keyring loop broken so I can't keep it on a keyring, any suggestions for a repair would be welcome.

I don't even know how to replace the battery in them, ie how they open up.

There is a very small rust spot 1/4" above the windscreen O/S, I'd be keen to remedy this as it can spread, thinking of maybe Jenolite and steel wool? or not sure of the best thing to use?

The drivers side car mat needs replacing as well, Ebay?

Thanks for any help

Edited by jackg

Rear wiper motor/gearbox so easy to repair. Screen wash water seeps in to the gearbox and creates the problem. Remove the unit (very easy) and then undo the few screws holding the cover over the mechanism/gearbox. Be careful not to let components come out unless you are a competent diy mechanic. Clean it out and replenish with fresh grease and box it all back up and put it back on the motor. Simples

Thank you kindly.

That is what I did.

The two metal gears had rusted up and I knocked the whole assembly out of the plastic housing, freed it up to clean and regrease.

Not reinstalled it yet but I'll see.

Regards servicing. The manufacturer's recommended service intervals have long since gone out of the window by the time a car is twelve years old. You should service your car on an 'as and when' and common sense basis. Change the engine oil and filter at least once annually, regardless of mileage. Twice a year is better.