scrap or repair?

Hi all I am unsure what to do with my much loved octavia Vrs. She is 51 plate and has just clocked 148,000 miles. Owned since july 2014. Previous owner has stacks of receipts for services and parts including new coilovers, Cambelt and waterpump. All done around 136,000 miles. Just before december I had started to hear noisy tapping at the lifters which got gradually worse over the next few weeks. 2nd January whilst driving home car lost all acceleration so pulled into bus stop and car cut out. It cranked but not started since. Fault codes were cylinder 1 2 3 & 4. Maf sensor and ecm relay. I changed relay and tried a immo defeated ecu but after cranking so many times got dead battery now car wont even crank with new battery its just ticking from starter motor. Had someone try rocking car when in first gear and he said need new head as the cambelt does not even turn so reckons valves are bent and its locked.

Sorry for the essay but should I try find a low mileage head or should I scrap the car as I dont have anywhere to break it as its parked on road outside house so needs to be insured and taxed

Going to hazard a guess and say the oil pickup was getting clogged and caused the hydraulic lifter sound. Sadly the engine may be dead due to lack of oil, and therefore requires replacement. There 1.8T AUQ engine was very common so sourcing a cheap replacement should be easy.

The oil pickup is a common one that crops up occasionally.

Depends on if you think you are capable of fitting it if you can it's gotta be worth it but labour + engine + towing to garage may well stack the bill a little too high against fixing it

it is a shame because they are really nice cars but if you cant swap yourself it may be worth selling to someone who can do the work and put the cash towards another car

• Like 1

Thanks Dave190 I found that already but reason im staying away from whole engine is lack of money by time its fitted it will be £1000 or more but Il keep it in mind..... Is it yours or just one you found?

Appreciate it either way

Edited by stewyp1983

Bigdave thats why im so unsure. I have someone who said they will be able to change the head.

Instead of buying a second hand head coulď I replace the parts in the head with new parts so I know I dont have to worry how much abuse its had...... which parts would I need?

Does sound like starter motor has seized. Car was cranking for couple days after it cut out. Was hoping I killed starter motor cos since changing relay and ecu I have not had chance to try car. Shame cos they were what the fault codes led too.

Ideally would like to fix her rather than scrap or sell as will still be cheaper than buying another car. Least ill know its one less thing to worry about.

Few questions

1. How do I turn crank by hand?

2. If I replaced bits in head for new parts what will I need to buy as it might not be much more than second hand head with all the fitting labour

The tapping getting worse sounds to me like your hydraulic lifters where being starved of oil if that's the case it won't be just the head the entire engine and the turbo will have been starved of oil too

To turn it by hand get a socket on a bar and try to turn it via the bolt on the crank pulley it should go easy then stiff as it comes up against compression then easy again

If it is a valve it should turn reasonably easily anticlockwise away from the obstruction if the bolt comes loose before the engine turns I would say the whole thing is ceased