Fault Code P0601, not ECU Help! VRS 2.0TFSI

I today changed my ECU with a reconditioned unit programmed to my car to rid the dreaded P0601 fault code. Unfortunately its not cured the fault and looks as if a external problem to the ECU. Lucky I'm able to return it and only receive a £50 fee and get my old unit back.

The fault clears but returns when the engine is started (its not generated when running), when the VAGCOMM tools hooked up it shows a voltage drop to around 7V when the key is turned, then returns to 12.5V when engine running, is this normal?  If not where is the best place to look? Battery connections all clean, any suspect earths/starter motor?

The car is totally stock 2006 Octavia VRS 2.0TFSI.

Hope somebody can help with this issue

where would I find the engine code?

'Coding Sticker' you can find in luggage compartment under cover on in Service Book on first page. 

Engine code can be seen on Cam Belt Cover.

And you are not stupid,just leak of experience with Škoda  :D

• Like 1

A quick look ar the wiring diagram shows the ecu is supplied from fusu 29 along a red and green wire, their is also a feed from the alternator to the ecu on a blue and white wire.

I woiuld start by looking around under the bonnet and around the engine and ecu for any faulty wiring,also checking the integrity of the varios earth connection's connected to the body and cross members,

It is difficult to advice on these type of problems without knowing a person's skill levels.

Good luck

Tony

Thank you for the reply, I'll check out the fuse 29 & red and green wire.

I've cleaned up a few dodgy looking earths, one heavily corroded stud sheared! lucky there was a vacant one within reach. Starter earth seemed very poor (although startings never been a issue) the battery was a premium quality that's 3 1/2 years old (still under warranty).

I'm a avionics engineer on aircraft so I've got a good level of understanding with wiring and mechanical things, in terms of actually working on cars I'm a novice/intermediate level.

ECU ruled out.

Time for a new battery!

16985/P0601/001537 - Internal Control Module: Memory Check Sum Error Possible Symptoms
  • MIL illuminated
Possible Causes
  • Engine Control Unit (ECU) defective
  • Flash ROM (used in aftermarket "chips") defective
  • Low Voltage
Possible Solutions
  • Replace ECU
  • Contact aftermarket chiptuner for repair of their chip
  • Check and test Battery and Charging system

Thank you for the reply, I'll check out the fuse 29 & red and green wire.

I've cleaned up a few dodgy looking earths, one heavily corroded stud sheared! lucky there was a vacant one within reach. Starter earth seemed very poor (although startings never been a issue) the battery was a premium quality that's 3 1/2 years old (still under warranty).

I'm a avionics engineer on aircraft so I've got a good level of un

derstanding with wiring and mechanical things, in terms of actually working on cars I'm a novice/intermediate level.

With your knowledge it is now easier tto help, get a copy of Elsa Win of ebay,electronic service manual, wiring diagrams are in DIN format and interactive on the pc.Very cheap £10 ish,,

I would check the earth points out with a multimeter, on volts, one lead on battery neg and other on ground point, anything above 1volt indicates a high resistance and needs investigation. A digital scope is also very handy for tracing these kind of faults.

If you pm me your e mail address I will see if I can find the pin outs for the ecu.

• 7 months later...

I today changed my ECU with a reconditioned unit programmed to my car to rid the dreaded P0601 fault code. Unfortunately its not cured the fault and looks as if a external problem to the ECU. Lucky I'm able to return it and only receive a £50 fee and get my old unit back.

The fault clears but returns when the engine is started (its not generated when running), when the VAGCOMM tools hooked up it shows a voltage drop to around 7V when the key is turned, then returns to 12.5V when engine running, is this normal?  If not where is the best place to look? Battery connections all clean, any suspect earths/starter motor?

The car is totally stock 2006 Octavia VRS 2.0TFSI.

Hope somebody can help with this issue

Hi, I have the same year and model of Skoda as you had and I also have the same problem.

All I did was the fill the windscreen washer bottle up and topped up the engine oil - and then the warning lights came on.

Even the Techs at the Skoda garage seem to want to steer clear of this error p0601. What chance have I got. Although the car is running perfect I like things to be right.

Just wondering if at all possible you could let me know the outcome with your Skoda.

Your help would be very much appreciated.