Blue Smoke from Exhaust - Is it definitely turbo seals?

Hi guys!

Wondering if anyone can help. I had my Octy go through some issues a few months back where I thought the turbo had gone. Had the EGR delete and a remap to 142hp and the car has been running fine. 

Over the last few days however, I have noticed that it has been spitting out blue smoke from the exhaust. It was minor initially but now its throwing quite a bit out which makes me think its getting worse lol. 

For obvious reason's I think it might be leaking oil and possibly from the turbo seals due to a previous experience but I am not sure. Wondering if anyone can offer any advice on an alternative part going wrong in this situation. 

Thanks for any help you guys offer!

Joe

If you suspect the turbo you could remove the induction side and have a look to see if oil is weeping past the seals.  Blue smoke would indicate that the oil is being burnt, which makes me think induction side over exhaust side of the turbo.

Whilst the pipe is off you could have a feel of the turbo shaft, any excessive play would indicate that there is wear which will allow oil past the seals.

• Like 1

LoL... spoke to my technical fixy repairer friend today. Said it sounds very much like the seals are on their way out on the turbo. He's recommended replacing the core for the turbo instead of paying the whole lot for the housing and manifold. However, there are a few hybrid turbo's about which are quite reasonable. Anyone done this before or would they recommend spending the money for the whole turbo? The turbo core / cartridge is around £120. New turbo is around £500 - £600 and Hybrid could be around £350 to £400

Cheers

There are quite a few options to choose from when pointing the finger for blue smoke, and as Radders said blue would tend to indicate oil being burnt. 

Rings and valve stem seals would also be in my line up, as well as the PCV.

It would seem pointless putting any sort of bigger turbo on an engine with suspicions hanging over its reliability and durability as more boost will stress it even more.

You allude to "possibly from the turbo seals due to a previous experience".  Tell more.  If you want the best diagnosis we can muster, then we need to know EVERYTHING! 

Similar thing happened with my Golf but on a bigger scale, the seals completely went whilst on the M60 outside Accrington, Manchester doing 75mph. Car filled with blue/white smoke which stank and I lost lots of power. Crawled it into the nearest (tesco's) carpark and called the AA. Diagnosed the seals and also towed me home (to Swansea, South Wales ££££££ :envy:

The blue smoke isn't just on startup, its when the car is under boost, or immediately after pulling out from a junction with any speed. Basically when the turbo spools up. I don't know what a PCV is Nick. Could you elaborate? 

Ive recently had an EGR delete, and also whilst they did that, they remapped the car from 105hp to 142hp. I don't boot the car at all, its the family runabout and I drive it as such. My wife uses it back and fore work about 12 miles a day. 

Nothing else I can think of mentioning. Gearbox had an oil change last year and a new filter? 

Hope this is better - Thanks