Soggy footwells

Cleaning my car today, and the driver's footwell was absolutely sopping wet, the rear passenger one wasn't much better (passenger side was fine).

Could this be the culprit (ripped door seal)? Or am I looking at something altogether more annoying?

6DAE1336-A30F-4312-ABC1-A246F586CF40.jpg

Hi

If you have a sunroof check the drain in the 'A' pillars between the hinges. If you don't have a sunroof it it might be the seals either way i would replace the seals anyway.

Hope that helps?

Okay so I found the drain, looked inside the car and it's very wet behind/above the bit of trim under the dash/next to the sunroof drain, it's pretty clear that that's where the water is coming in. I'll get under there and remove the piece of trim in a bit, but is this a common problem and is there something in particular I'm looking for/need to fix?

Cheers

Edited by samj2013

Okay so I found the drain, looked inside the car and it's very wet behind/above the bit of trim under the dash/next to the sunroof drain, it's pretty clear that that's where the water is coming in. I'll get under there and remove the piece of trim in a bit, but is this a common problem and is there something in particular I'm looking for/need to fix?

Cheers

Yes it is a common problem throughout the vag range, removing the trim wont do anything to help, it tracks down the trim from the sunroof into the foot well. I thought my roof rails were leaking to start with on my estate, but it was the drain. The fix that I have been told is to cut off the very end of the rubber that comes out of the 'A' pillar as the cross on the end gets clogged up. I squeezed mine hard a few time and all of a sudden it gushed out water. Every week or so I check to make sure its clear by giving it a good squeeze. Hope that helps?

I had a poke about the drain and nipped the end off, poured water into sunroof and all drains seem clear, not sure whether they were before, I guess time will tell. I'll replace the door seal too.

Sounds like you've sorted it or on the right track. Rear is probably wet from water moving across the floor with car in motion, sounds as if you've had enough ingress to account for that. Door seal may not be helping but I'd have thought it's not a massive issue if your door membranes are all good. If your door shuts are clear of water after overnight rain they're probably all good.

Edited by YellowCar

Is the problem likely to have been as simple as snipping off the end of the drain then?! I'm not convinced that I'll have fixed it, but I guess we'll see how I go.

Might have a look at the door card seals as well, I think I had this problem on my old Fabia, but never bothered to sort it as it was nowhere near as bad!

Edited by samj2013

Is the problem likely to have been as simple as snipping off the end of the drain then?! I'm not convinced that I'll have fixed it, but I guess we'll see how I go.

Might have a look at the door card seals as well, I think I had this problem on my old Fabia, but never bothered to sort it as it was nowhere near as bad!

I had a mare with the membrane on my Toledo V5. Blooming thing was metal and screwed onto the door. Thought I'd sorted it first time but there was some of the old foamy seal left that had held onto water and prevented the sealant from ever drying properly so had to do it again! Anyway a bit off topic but in that car the rear was soaking as well after a while but the only problem was the front door. The door shell on the vrs seems a bit more sensible, I've heard some people do without the membranes completely, I won't be risking that though.

It could be as simple as what you have done, not experienced this one myself, it does take a surprisingly small amount to soak carpets mind, they're like sponges, and with the low ambient temperatures of winter and crappy weather they're only going to get worse until it's solved.

I had a mare with the membrane on my Toledo V5. Blooming thing was metal and screwed onto the door. Thought I'd sorted it first time but there was some of the old foamy seal left that had held onto water and prevented the sealant from ever drying properly so had to do it again! Anyway a bit off topic but in that car the rear was soaking as well after a while but the only problem was the front door. The door shell on the vrs seems a bit more sensible, I've heard some people do without the membranes completely, I won't be risking that though.

It could be as simple as what you have done, not experienced this one myself, it does take a surprisingly small amount to soak carpets mind, they're like sponges, and with the low ambient temperatures of winter and crappy weather they're only going to get worse until it's solved.

Mine isn't a VRS, but fair enough. It seems like it's only coming from the front and working its way back as it seems more damp there. Might get hold of some sort of dehumidifier to see if I can dry it out a little, but I suppose it's not the end of the world.

I`ve recently had the same problem, and it seems it was the same issue you`ve had? Cleared the drain as it was clogged with crud and opened the sunroof and poured water down, and it`s flowing fine now.

With all the torrential rain we`ve had over the past few weeks, it does`nt seem to be getting wet now. Think I`ll try those Poundland balls to dry it out, as I really don`t fancy taking the carpet out again. 

My V5 got fixed in time for a strangely warm spring and dried out a treat, no damp smell either. I'd soak up the worst every day with microfibre towels as well, it's amazing how much you can soak up. Dehumidifying will definitely help until the ambient temps pick up a little bit.

• Like 1

Anyone able to take a quick picture or describe to a simpleton where I'd find this drain? Got leaky footwells as well so definately need to try this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It's the little black rubber hose/nipple type thing sticking out between the top and bottom door hinges, as in the photo above.