Engine under tray extension

Is there any way of extending it's coverage further back? I'm not thinking sump protection, more road noise and air flow/economy. I see that golf iv petrol also only go back so far same as ours on 1.8t. Don't the diesel ones cover more? Is there any way of making those fit? Cheers

That's the fella, looking at that it's basically 1.8t with the rear section filled in and going a tad further. Same subframe init, so I assume a handful of tx25s into holes that should in theory already be there? Probably can't afford to do it until March as I've got other bits to do, but I reckon I'll give it a shot.

Also I've just seen the side panels look exactly the same for petrol and diesel, the centre piece clips onto these as part of its structure doesn't it, so surely it's just a matter of more screws and clips.

the extended tray is not for petrol engines because they get hotter ,much hotter than diesel and air flow is insufficient.

The 1.8t runns slightly hotter than other petrol engines,a remapped 1.8t will get even hotter than that.

the extended tray is not for petrol engines because they get hotter ,much hotter than diesel and air flow is insufficient.

The 1.8t runns slightly hotter than other petrol engines,a remapped 1.8t will get even hotter than that.

Good point, very good point. Scrap that then haha

Pretty sure tray for diesel is for sound insulation. I put a tray on mine and oil temperature has been exactly the same. Has added protection against winter dirt and crap on the roads.

Is yours mapped? Was it a straight swap for the petrol centre section?

Yeah its a straight swap.

Don't think it will make much difference to the sound, diesel ones can get them with foam sound insulation on too minimise noise.

Mine doesn't have the foam on but extends back the length of the subframe.

You could say where does the air exit on the diesel variants? there are loads of places for it to exit around the bay. The 1.8s are cast iron, I'd guess heat dissipation is very similar, do they actually run hotter than diesels, they'd heat up quicker for sure but mines usually around 90 when I'm caning it, I'd say that's pretty cool.

Yeah I guess it's not an airtight compartment is it. I may go for it and just mod it slightly with some strategically placed holes, just to help airflow a little but not effect coverage and insulation. Must admit I find the lack of coverage of the petrol trays a little disconcerting especially with some of the debris I've had to drive through round here after heavy winds.

Yeah I guess it's not an airtight compartment is it. I may go for it and just mod it slightly with some strategically placed holes, just to help airflow a little but not effect coverage and insulation. Must admit I find the lack of coverage of the petrol trays a little disconcerting especially with some of the debris I've had to drive through round here after heavy winds.

There is still a fair sized gap along the back edge on the under tray fitted to the diesels.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

There is still a fair sized gap along the back edge on the under tray fitted to the diesels.

Sent from my Nexus 4 using Tapatalk

Cool, I'll offer it up to the car and see what I can do, I feel a how to coming on...can't afford just yet though, need wheel bearings and front discs first!

My undertray disappeared (???) some years ago, and I built an aluminium skid plate, just for the rain waters and small rocks (I used to drive off road...).

It might be a pain in the a$$ to build but it can be easily removed for quick access underneath (only 2 bolts), it can be further extended to the rear and you can easily add some vents if you are worried about heat... I kept the old vertical plastic parts which are about to be replaced by aluminium ones soon.

http://diy-vag-20vt.blogspot.gr/2014/01/skid-plate.html#